• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stanley v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm starting this thread a little early, but why not? For once, I'm looking forward to Saturday's game. Although we will still have a few key players missing, the squad is now quite strong. Unlike earlier in the season, Ronnie has a few welcome selection headaches and at last can fill the bench with players he would be happy to see on the pitch. I hope we can keep the impetus of recent results going. Will Ronnie treat it as a normal away League match or be more adventurous? Personally, I think he must treat Stanley with some respect. We should be able to beat League Two opposition, so I expect something like a 2-0 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With the performances we are putting in recently, especially away from home, I think we'll win this one but I don't think it will be easy.

Fancy Lowe getting a few.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think will be close they have found some form 2 1 to us. I cant see both Koumas & Jennings start think Koumas will as Max is banned.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is a game Ronnie would hope to win at the first attempt, so can't see two defensive midfielders starting, Jennings will stay on the bench unless Hateley unfit, but Koumas might start. Good news in that Atkinson McNulty and Ridehalgh have all been given permission to play by their parent clubs. JLAA also played for the reserves midweek, so another option. I don't think this will be an easy game and hope we can win by the odd goal.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Think it could be a really good cup tie with more than the odd goal. I wouldn't mess about to much and stick with the same system and same type of player in the roles............if A/S are a softer touch we will natuarally get more opportunities to attack anyway. I definitely wouldn't go more lightweight/fancy dan just because they are a lower div team - just stick with what has been working and make hay if they are not up to scratch, although I do think they will get stuck in and raise their game.
If it was a prediction league game I would go for 2-2

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If we play as we have in the last four or five games I think we will win comfortably. Hopefully the rain will stay away.......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't sound that comfortable in the end and some issue about whether the Rovers goal was offside. Still, a win's a win, look forward to the thoughts of anyone at the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Poor performance from Rovers and an awful game but the win is gratefully accepted. I think we were complacent today, happy to play at a pedestrian pace for long periods without imposing ourselves on the game. There was none of the spirit and intensity of recent away performances. Neither side deserved to win, but Stanley probably had longer periods of pressure, without showing any real quality in the final third.

In the opening twenty minutes we were poor defensively, both as a back four and as a team as a whole, with Taylor and McNulty apparently unsettled by Odajeye. Stanley had two or three opportunities they should have converted as we repeatedly gave the ball away in bad areas, Hateley in particular having a below par game. Fortunately, we gradually settled with Koumas getting on the ball and becoming more influential. In the final twenty minutes of the half we controlled the game and created two or three good opportunities, for Kirby, Atkinson and Lowe in particular, the latter harshly having a goal disallowed for a push in the box.

Unfortunately at the start of the second half we took our foot off the pedal again, became pedestrian and allowed Accrington to have periods of sustained pressure without really threatening our goal. In fairness, McNulty and Taylor defended really well after half time. Ronnie switched to a 4-4-2 bringing on Akpro then Stockton; these changes actually made us worse in the short term by weakening the midfield but paid dividends with the last minute winner, Akpro cleverly setting up Lowe for a quality finish. There was a question of offside about the winner, but neither the Accrington players or supporters appealed, so I am guessing the goal was good.

Had we played with a better attitude today I think we would have won comfortably against a limited side, but as it is our good run continues and we certainly seem to have remembered how to win games.

Man of the match was either Koumas - very impressive and dictated the tempo for long periods - or the much improved Danny Holmes, although Kirby again did well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Main thing is to get through but sounded poor and Ronnie certainly not too happy with the performance, now for a home time tomorrow please.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounds like we were a bit lucky, but surely we are due some. Brave substitutions by Ronnie, so he got it right.