• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Stalybridge v Rovers

drwhoman

Presumably if we sign trialist/s then he/they will be squad players. If there were any marquee players or experienced strikers in the pipeline they would be earmarked and not require a trial. Maybe negotiations are ongoing or were hoping to save a few quid if a trialist impressed sufficiently.
Paul Mullin has not signed for anyone yet!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was only limited opposition, but it sounds like MacManaman is showing his class already.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Duffy came on second half apparently. Skilful but carrying a few pounds. Glatzel looked a bit lightweight against some physical centre backs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Duffy came on second half apparently. Skilful but carrying a few pounds. Glatzel looked a bit lightweight against some physical centre backs.
Will be fairly easy lose few pounds during rest of pre season

drwhoman

Will be fairly easy lose few pounds during rest of pre season
It will be interesting to see if Glatzel adapts to the physical demands of L2. A skilful footballer but you need to be able to hold your own against defenders who will want to dominate. Jack Dunn was a decent footballer but he could not cope.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see if Glatzel adapts to the physical demands of L2. A skilful footballer but you need to be able to hold your own against defenders who will want to dominate. Jack Dunn was a decent footballer but he could not cope.
Definately and is one of the reasons these young guys need proper games to get stuck into instead of playing under 20 games with no real competition.. I hope he can compete against the physical sides in league two as there are quite a few of them. Similar with Jolley but I think he still has some development to do.

Player
Manager
John King
Glatzel did well against Rangers' back four, who were physical but also a lot better than Stalybridge's.

His strengths will be skill and finishing, not battering up against centre halves.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The post match interview was in-house so no questions about recruitment so of no use.

Player
Manager
John King
The only reliable rumours on the other forum this summer came from the poster who predicted Mellon's return and MacManaman's signature. The other (alleged) ITK posters don't seem to have a clue what is going on.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
An enjoyable evening of football in the sun.
It looked like we were playing a very fluid 4-2-3-1 in both halves.
Foley was the first half triallist; Duffy in the second half. Neither add to what we already have, and would be a waste of the budget imo.
Glatzel played wide left and looked out of position and so only saw flashes of what he can do.
Replaced by Jolley who was really impressive when he came on. Looked like something was going to happen every time he got on the ball.
McManaman showed great quality but not sure he has the legs to play 90 every week.
Cogley and Davies both grew into the game and look vey promising. Merrie was very comfortable when he came on - very Jeff Hughes-esque.
Mani is great with his back to goal/at holding the ball up - everything sticks. But he is like bambi on ice in front of goal.
Nevitt is, lets say, a work in progress.
Overall, we look strong at the back and in in midfield, but are lacking in pace going forward and don't look like we have many goals in us.
Not as concerned as others about lack of signings, but came way thinking that we definitely need another striker and a replacement for CBT.
Nb- Had a quick word with Micky before the game - anyone else noticed how thick his Scottish accent has become after his year in Dundee?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report FNM. I think most would agree that defence and midfield seem almost there but the main issue remains a lack of an established striker. Good to hear Jolley impressed and not surprised about Mcmananman as in his career he has rarely played more than 25 games a season. Suspect Mani will be effective up to a point but may be a Bas Savage type. Awkward to deal with and can hold the ball up but not great in front of goal. Hopefully I’m proven wrong though

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks to FNF for the comments. Savage did a decent job for us in fairness and I think we knew that Mani was unlikely to be prolific but would be a team player. I think it would be unfair to judge MacMananan's fitness in the second game of pre-season. None of the players will be match fit yet.

Interesting that a few people at the match last night have commented that Jolley looked sharp.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks to FNF for the comments. Savage did a decent job for us in fairness and I think we knew that Mani was unlikely to be prolific but would be a team player. I think it would be unfair to judge MacMananan's fitness in the second game of pre-season. None of the players will be match fit yet.

Interesting that a few people at the match last night have commented that Jolley looked sharp.
Yes early days for mcmanaman. His career history shows he has struggled to play a full season but I’m sure Micky is aware of this and being optimistic, Perhaps playing at a level he is too good for May make him play more games. Yes Savage was useful up to a point

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder if we’ll see more of him this season ? We couldn’t possibly see any less!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shame.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think he might feature a bit from the bench. He has looked quite bright in pre-season and could get ahead of Nevitt in the pecking order. I suppose it depends whether we play with two strikers.