• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags v Rovers

Match result

• Mansfield

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stags v Rovers
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Saturday, August 6, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 6, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Burton has hardly featured for many years under Mellon so no reason to think we would need him now. Obviously with the injuries, we are a bit light but the squad will gel after a few games and we’ll get some better players returning to the squad before too long.
Surely he would have been worth a run out last week or even tomorrow as Mumbongo is not yet fit

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Surely he would have been worth a run out last week or even tomorrow as Mumbongo is not yet fit
Taylor probably offers as much from the bench anyway. I really don't think it is a big deal.

Ultimately, Burton probably is not good enough for us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A
Davies and particularly Turnbull will provide leadership when they are available. I think Hemmings is actually pretty vocal on the pitch, but not in a domineering, Peter Clarke fashion.

I think Mellon believes Taylor is better than Burton, which is why Jake has been allowed to leave.
I forgot about Taylor but without being harsh, from what I’ve seen I’m not sure he’s the answer in the short term. Time will tell

Player
Manager
John King
A

I forgot about Taylor but without being harsh, from what I’ve seen I’m not sure he’s the answer in the short term. Time will tell
I don't think either are the answer.

We need Mumbongo to get fit and another loan striker to arrive. Until then, we are where we are.

drwhoman

We really do need Turnbull and Davies. Anyone any idea when they will play? The squad looks light without them. No stand outs in midfield and heavy reliance on Hemmings to score goals. I am not convinced Nevitt has got it at our level however hard he tries. Sorry to sound so negative but I cannot see promotion with this team. Maybe one or two quality loanees will transform things!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Burton has hardly featured for many years under Mellon so no reason to think we would need him now. Obviously with the injuries, we are a bit light but the squad will gel after a few games and we’ll get some better players returning to the squad before too long.
Unsure where you get the many years from Ian, as he only made his debut about 20 months ago in the covid-hit Salford game. Burton is another player like Merrie who Mellon doesn't seem to rate, despite a promising cameo and a goal in the pre-season friendly at Fleetwood. What I don't understand is why we bothered to offer a new deal to a player who doesn't appear to have any future at the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@Boz Probably a bit misleading bit I meant he's been around the club for a few years, under-18s etc..

@drwhoman Surely we don't really know the strengths and weaknesses after just one game?

Player
Manager
John King
Unsure where you get the many years from Ian, as he only made his debut about 20 months ago in the covid-hit Salford game. Burton is another player like Merrie who Mellon doesn't seem to rate, despite a promising cameo and a goal in the pre-season friendly at Fleetwood. What I don't understand is why we bothered to offer a new deal to a player who doesn't appear to have any future at the club.
Yes, that is at least two players Mellon did not particularly rate out of about 600 he has given a contract two in his time as manager here.....

Perhaps he needed to see Burton at close quarters for an extended period before making a decision on him ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, that is at least two players Mellon did not particularly rate out of about 600 he has given a contract two in his time as manager here.....

Perhaps he needed to see Burton at close quarters for an extended period before making a decision on him ?
I think there have been more. However with regard to Burton, he had the whole of last season to take a look.

drwhoman

@Boz Probably a bit misleading bit I meant he's been around the club for a few years, under-18s etc..

@drwhoman Surely we don't really know the strengths and weaknesses after just one game?
I take your point Ian and I know I am being negative but the squad less Davies and Turnbull does not give me a good feeling. A 2-0 win at Mansfield then!

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
I am pretty sure that it was Vaughan's decison to extend Burton whilst it was equally MM's decision to only have Taylor on the bench though I would wager he had zero intention of ever putting him on despite the fact we were losing and Nevitt was doing very little.

As to players being frozen out Merrie was used merely as an example by Boz rather than the only other out of 600 - Walker being an immediately obvious one from last season. Like Merrie, MM clearly doesn't rate Burton (rightly or wrongly) despite as Boz says scoring a good goal in pre-season and offering pace that Nevitt doesn't have. A loan at Marine will be great for him and if he does well can be recalled if required as Jolley was last season.

As to the game itself looking forward to this one. Not expecting us to win but hoping for a far far better performance than last week. Would be happy with a score draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Goals goals goals we were promised but if you.loik at the squad it's unlikely to happen, we just have hope Hemmings can stay fit or we will be in big trouble

Player
Manager
John King
I am pretty sure that it was Vaughan's decison to extend Burton whilst it was equally MM's decision to only have Taylor on the bench though I would wager he had zero intention of ever putting him on despite the fact we were losing and Nevitt was doing very little.

As to players being frozen out Merrie was used merely as an example by Boz rather than the only other out of 600 - Walker being an immediately obvious one from last season. Like Merrie, MM clearly doesn't rate Burton (rightly or wrongly) despite as Boz says scoring a good goal in pre-season and offering pace that Nevitt doesn't have. A loan at Marine will be great for him and if he does well can be recalled if required as Jolley was last season.

As to the game itself looking forward to this one. Not expecting us to win but hoping for a far far better performance than last week. Would be happy with a score draw.
So that is another fringe youth player who clearly was not good enough that you cite as somebody 'frozen out' by Mellon.

If you had some examples of youth players released by Mellon that went on to have stellar careers elsewhere, your argument might be convincing.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
If Mumbongo isn't fit I'd prefer it if Micky only played one up front supported by two no.10 types. Might be a bit more creative and can offer support in front of the centre midfields.
3-4-2-1
Doohan
3 x fit CBs
Cogley, O'Connor, Merrie, Bristow

McAleer, Nolan

Hemmings

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we need to control this game in midfield otherwise we might get outplayed. Mumbongo is not available so I would tend to agree with Higgy's post above.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure I agree. If Hemmings is on his own up front there is a danger he will be very isolated and we will struggle to retain the ball.

I think Lewis or Nolan will come into midfield in place of Hawkes, to give us a bit more control.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I doubt from MMs pre-match remarks that there will be much change from last week's line up. With the fit personnel we've available I'd be tempted to go 4 at the back and pack the midfield, but that won't be happening.

Player
Manager
John King
1659790837746.png