• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags v Rovers

Match result

• Mansfield

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stags v Rovers
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Saturday, August 6, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 6, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ADD

Player
Norwood
Mansfield have spent an absolute fortune on players in recent years and have probably the best midfield in the division with quality in that area we can't match, so it is no great surprise if they looked a better footballing side (assuming they actually did).

The first team squad this season is not particularly big by League Two standards.
Is there any need to argue for the sake of it every game when by the sound of it you haven't even watched the game yet?!

They may have spent more than us but teams we lost to last season equally spent much less than us. We are in the same division as them so the comparison is entirely valid so yes they passed it around much better than us though as I said if anything they were too intricate at times. We were much better than against Stevenage but still our best moments came from long balls.
There were however some positive signs especially that the CB's looked so so much better than only a week ago.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ian, unsure what you're suggesting in the last part? For the short-term absences, we've got an experienced central defender Turnbull and an attacking option which will give us something different in Mumbongo, though it's hard to say what we should expect from him. Davies probably back by the end of the month and Morris around the start of October. Defensively we can wait for that duo to return and either will improve us, but don't you think we need more attacking options now, irrespective of the injured players?

Thanks for posting the highlights, it's a shame that the source doesn't show the early penalty shout or Hemmings effort from the intercepted back-pass.
Their goal had a number of issues to consider. Could Bristow have done more to stop Boateng putting in the cross that led to the corner for the goal? I don't think Byrne from his perception had much option than to put it behind, the commentary team thought there should have been a shout from a team-mate as there wasn't an attacker right behind him. When the corner came in, it seemed a case of too many cooks and no head chef. Hemmings was seemingly marking the scorer, don't want to be too critical of an attacker doing a defensive job and he'd already saved us once with the effort headed off the line, but wouldn't it be better to keep a man up at corners, particularly now the Clarke explanation for that tactic no longer applies? Micky only switched to keeping a man up when we conceded the second goal v Stevenage.

While it didn't sound like Lewis had his best game, I was expecting a much worse miss than the reality. He got the effort on target, needed to take the opportunity quickly although maybe didn't strike it cleanly. It was nowhere near as clear-cut as those fluffed by Hemmings and Nolan in the Huddersfield friendly.

Next stop Accrington and it didn't sound from MMs post-match like there will be many changes.
I agree Boz - we should have Hemmings up at all times - he shouldn't be on the goal line someone else should and he definitely shouldn't be trying to man mark at corners - it's not his job and no surprise if he is beaten to it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree. The whole idea of that approach with Clarke was that it meant he was free and not marking anyone and able to normally head it away - hence we needed other players to man mark. Now Clarke has gone we don’t have that option but bringing everyone back gives the opposition encouragement to put more men in our own box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Boz - we should have Hemmings up at all times - he shouldn't be on the goal line someone else should and he definitely shouldn't be trying to man mark at corners - it's not his job and no surprise if he is beaten to it.
Hemmings already comes deep at times to get involved more meaning he is further away from the opposition goal. Agree we certainly shouldn’t need him back defending our own corners

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I agree. The whole idea of that approach with Clarke was that it meant he was free and not marking anyone and able to normally head it away - hence we needed other players to man mark. Now Clarke has gone we don’t have that option but bringing everyone back gives the opposition encouragement to put more men in our own box.
I think Jameson took up the Clarke role as the 'free man' yesterday, which is why he won so many headers from corners.

Player
Manager
John King
Is there any need to argue for the sake of it every game when by the sound of it you haven't even watched the game yet?!
A bit rich coming from you, with your constant interjections contradicting my every post.

A bit rich also considering that you often hold forth on games you have not actually watched.

Aston Villa and Manachester City are two teams in the same division. However, you clearly would not expect them to produce football in the midfield of the same quality, and any fair assessment of the two teams would take account of the gulf in resources between them.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ian, unsure what you're suggesting in the last part?
All I'm saying is we have what we have and have to make the best of what we've got until we get some players back from injury. I'd love more attacking options but then I'd also love 1m in the bank. :lol: :laugh: I just think some of the reactions are OTT. It's only been 2 games. Let's see where we are after 10 games. If we have still not won, then I would be concerned. The team will get better.

Player
Manager
John King
I have watched the full game, which I enjoyed.

I thought we played well and should have taken something from the game. Mansfield had a couple of very good chances in the closing stages when the game was stretched, but prior to that we had the better opportunities. It was a stonewall penalty for the early challenge on Nevitt; Hemmings missed a one v one; Nevitt was beyond the last defender in the eighteen yard box but his first touch let him down; Bristow had a good header tipped round the post; and Lewis missed from eight yards in the final ten minutes.

In the first twenty minutes Mansfield played some nice, tippy-tappy stuff in the middle third of the pitch, but we defended fairly comfortably against it. We were more direct, getting the ball into the strikers more quickly, a tactic which made sense as Hemmings and Nevitt caused massive problems all game with their movement and workrate. Our front two were more impressive than theirs. The game was surprisingly even, and in the last twenty minutes of the first half and first fifteen minutes of the second, we were well in the ascendancy.

I thought the midfield trio worked tenaciously, and McAlear did show some nice touches at times. It was a solid defensive display from Jameson, and Robinson looked comfortable bringing the ball out of defence, Both full backs had good games, and Cogley was outstanding in the second half.

Hemmings was brilliant as always, his miss notwithstanding. However, Nevitt was better than I expected after reading some of the reports of the game. His movement was good and he got into good areas, but his first touch and confidence around goal seems to be lacking at the moment.

Plenty of positives to take from that performance.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Interesting Jameson took on the Clarke role when defending corners. I still think it’s a bit negative having all 11 players back when defending corners.

I feel for Nevitt but at end of the day strikers are judged on goals and he needs to score more. Similarly Micky as much as he says we need patience, it’s a results business and after gillingham we have two tricky away games. Ian understandably says give it 10 games but I think after 5 many will be making judgements

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still can’t understand the lack of subs. Mansfield made 5 and although have a stronger squad, we still had hawkes and to a lesser extent merrie to bring on just to give Mansfield something to think about

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All I'm saying is we have what we have and have to make the best of what we've got until we get some players back from injury. I'd love more attacking options but then I'd also love 1m in the bank. :lol: :laugh: I just think some of the reactions are OTT. It's only been 2 games. Let's see where we are after 10 games. If we have still not won, then I would be concerned. The team will get better.
Thanks Ian. The Stevenage performance particularly in the first half was dire and I think fans are understandably getting twitchy. Wish I shared your optimism, but have been wrong before..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I still think it’s a bit negative having all 11 players back when defending corners.

I still can’t understand the lack of subs. Mansfield made 5 and although have a stronger squad, we still had hawkes and to a lesser extent merrie to bring on just to give Mansfield something to think about
Agree on the above.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Stevenage performance particularly in the first half was dire and I think fans are understandably getting twitchy.
Yes, I had the benefit of missing this one :giggle:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks RLC. Interesting Jameson took on the Clarke role when defending corners. I still think it’s a bit negative having all 11 players back when defending corners.

I feel for Nevitt but at end of the day strikers are judged on goals and he needs to score more. Similarly Micky as much as he says we need patience, it’s a results business and after gillingham we have two tricky away games. Ian understandably says give it 10 games but I think after 5 many will be making judgements
I feel for Nevitt also Sparky. Model pro and hopefully things will fall his way soon.
Can judge strikers on goals for sure, but at the least you'd look for shots on goal/target and chances created for himself or others.
If it doesn't happen it may be best to go one up front with a couple of no. 10 types with some guile ahead of the midfield supporting the striker.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy, I'm unsure whether we're equipped with the no 10 type that you describe though.

Morris could do it, but not due back for a couple of months
Hawkes in the 2 games I've seen was deployed in a freer role that an orthodox no 10 and didn't make an impact in either.
Nolan doesn't look as though he's mentally over his injury, opting for the safe back-pass rather than something more probing
Maybe Lewis or McAlear although the former helps with his height by being deployed further back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Higgy, I'm unsure whether we're equipped with the no 10 type that you describe though.

Hawkes in the 2 games I've seen was deployed in a freer role that an orthodox no 10 and didn't make an impact in either.
Nolan doesn't look as though he's mentally over his injury, opting for the safe back-pass rather than something more probing
Maybe Lewis or McAlear although the former helps with his height by being deployed further back.
Hawkes didn't play on Saturday

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins

Good point Boz. Yep Morris would be a natural, but I'm sure a fit Nolan could do it. Albeit I accept your reservations. Asking for two no. 10s is a bit of a stretch I know, but McAlear could slot in further forward and if not Nolan, it's not a bad call for Lewis to play in that area - even though not a natural no.10. They could support Hemmings, be ore difficult to mark and offer some protection for centre midfield. Possibly slot Merrie into McAlear's place next to O'Connor to facilitate.

Player
Manager
John King
I would still rather stick with two strikers, particularly as we tend to move the ball from back to front quite quickly. Reinforcements will arrive shortly, and while he is lacking confidence, Nevitt's movement has been decent and he is working hard to support Hemmings.

I think Hemmings would become horribly isolated if he played on his own up front.