• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stags v Rovers

Stags v Rovers
Posted by Ian
One Call Stadium
Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The 20/21 league season starts with a tricky trip to Mansfield. The stags finished last season in 21st but on paper at least have some decent players . 10 they brought in during the close season including re-signing goalscorer Nicky Maynard who at this level is capable of finding the back of the net with ease. Other striking options include ex Crewe man Jordan Bowery, Danny Rose and a decent target man by the name of Cook. Whoever plays up front for the stags, our defence which has impressed of late will face its toughest test yet.

As for rovers the formation will be interesting. You wouldnt be surprised if Jacko played one up top in a game like this but which strikcer will it be? A lot will depend on fitness of course but Ferrier IMO is the best suited to that role. I suspect it'll be a 4-5-1 system with the five in the middle possibly being Khan, Banks, Spearing, Morris and CBT if all fit (unless I've forgotten someone). Manny & Clarke to start at CB with Scotty returning to the starting line up (which may be harsh on Murphy given his clean sheet and 2 penalty saves last week)

Prediction: never easy on the first game of the season. I'd take a draw - but worry that the difference could be the firepower of both side.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I would personally start with Murphy based upon what I have seen in pre-season / cup games. We will need to keep the ball better than we have in some of the games so far, and I am hoping that whoever is up front gets some decent support and doesnt spend the game chasing hoofs into the channels.

On paper our midfield should cause them problems, with Khan, CBT and Morris all dangerous players, so I also hope that we dont set up too defensively and try and utilise the strength of these players.

Very hard to call these early games, but I am going for an optimistic 1-0 with Payne scoring off the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we are heading for a fall if we play with just one up front but I agree it will be a close game and I'd be happy with a point to kick off the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would take a point but think will lose 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I could be reading too much into it but interestingly Jacko asked pre match about how vocal Scottie is - to which he made the point that both keepers are like that. Probably nothing but time will tell

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Scotty will be MJ choice but it's certainly good competition having Murphy as no.2

ADD

Player
Norwood
I would definitely start with Murphy. Much better distribution and difficult to say from only seeing one pre-season and the League Cup but he looked like he hasn't lost any mobility and if nothing else would keep my blood pressure down when Davies starts time wasting early in the second half when we aren't even winning;)
Aside from that I also think we should play two up front. CBT is apparently out so in a sense that helps the formation as we can have out and out midfielders behind. Going to be a difficult game for sure and Mansfield will be favourites. Would be happy with a draw given results to date and our seeming lack of penetration but looking forward to it even if only on Ifollow

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given our disappointing results against two sides weaker on paper than our team, you would think Mansfield would be clear favourites against us on their pitch. Jacko has emphasised that the key to success is team spirit. We will certainly need it if we are to win, but both my heart and my head think a draw would be a great result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If Vaughan is fit, I think we will start with two strikers in a 442, with Banks in midfield and Khan and Morris wide.

I like Murphy but I am not totally convinced Davies deserves to be dropped; some of the past criticism of him has been harsh in my view.

Mansfield have a very strong squad on paper and a decent manager in Coughlin but have not pulled up any trees so far, and we might be playing them at a good time, before they really settle.

A draw would be a good result and seems quite a likely outcome.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
100% agree with RLC about Davies. So many rovers fans have short memories And Scottie has arguably been as important as Norwood/Jennings etc in our successive promotions. The criticism of him on FB is totally over the top.

ive not seen Murphy yet but don’t think Scottie deserves to be dropped because of penalties he didn’t save

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm always on the lookout for positives - especially this year - so what I will say that it's great that we have two goalies in the squad we'd be happy to see in the first team. Although he has had his mistakes and loss of form, no-one has really challenged Scottie in his five years at the club. Yes, it's a big positive that Scottie has been so consistent but signing Joe has been a shrewd move.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
0-1 Peter Clarke.
Close call for the GK shirt. Murphy for me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We have a fairly dismal record at Field Mill, so maybe an early season game with no hostile crowd is a chance to improve that record. Let's hope so!

Like BBTC, I'm happy we've got goalkeeping options now and wouldn't be too perturbed whoever ends up between the nets. In Mike's pre-match conference it sounded like we would revert to a back four, so presume Ridehalgh would drop out. He was understandably keeping the injury situation under wraps, but if Payne's the only fit striker, there's a need to have some of the midfield much closer to him than we managed at Port Vale

I wouldn't be too downhearted so long as we get something out of this game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Vaughan will be fit, CBT is out for several weeks, not sure when ferried is likely to be fit.

Player
Manager
John King
We have a fairly dismal record at Field Mill, so maybe an early season game with no hostile crowd is a chance to improve that record. Let's hope so!

Like BBTC, I'm happy we've got goalkeeping options now and wouldn't be too perturbed whoever ends up between the nets. In Mike's pre-match conference it sounded like we would revert to a back four, so presume Ridehalgh would drop out. He was understandably keeping the injury situation under wraps, but if Payne's the only fit striker, there's a need to have some of the midfield much closer to him than we managed at Port Vale

I wouldn't be too downhearted so long as we get something out of this game.
I think Ridehalgh might actually be preferred to MacDonald, judging by Jacksons' comments last week. Liam actually played at left back on Tuesday, with MacDonald on the left of midfield.

Player
aldo
just a solid performance will do a few goals, I'm now in positive mode so COME ON THE SUPER WHITES

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve not tried ifollow yet but will have to for the home games we can’t attend.
Thinking about it for today. Does it matter if its laptop or iPad?

ADD

Player
Norwood
I’ve not tried ifollow yet but will have to for the home games we can’t attend.
Thinking about it for today. Does it matter if its laptop or iPad?
Don't believe it matters. You simply access through the ifollow tab on the Tranmere website. It is not an app in that form tho there maybe one as well..
If you never have used before you have to create an account first before using it for the first time.

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like the same 4411 formation as Tuesday night, but with Vaughan replacing Payne. Got to ensure Vaughan does not get too isolated.

Reactions: Boz