• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stags v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Turned into a horrible half, but the only plus is we are only 1 down.
You know what we can do with 10 men :)
If we are going to try and get anything out of this one, Mellon needs to make some changes. We need more attacking options.
We can't chase the game with ten men. We need to keep our shape and hope Norwood gets something on the break.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At first glance looked like offside in the build up which led to the free-kick for their goal. Defence looked disorganised in the early stages but settled down. Banks’ first challenge in the current climate could have been a red, so the second was stupid. Mansfield have the pace to take us apart so agree with RLC on keeping our shape and damage limitation, hoping for the ball to bounce in our favour.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3-0

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
5 points off the play offs and another away defeat.

Even with 11 men it was always going to be tough. We won at Cheltenham last time so need to aim to win at port vale next week.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
5 points off the play offs and another away defeat.

Even with 11 men it was always going to be tough. We won at Cheltenham last time so need to aim to win at port vale next week.[/QUOTE

we are in a slump, although we are only 5 points off the play offs realistically we have very little chance of making them as our squad is not good enough

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointing afternoon. Banks sending-off made a hard job almost impossible but there were a few other concerns.

Mansfield looked a decent side with a lot of pace up front. Perhaps expected a bit more after the plaudits they got at PP for their football.

Player
ian goodison
not only is the squad not good enough the team selection & tactics leave a lot to be addresed

Player
Manager
John King
not only is the squad not good enough the team selection & tactics leave a lot to be addresed
No they don't. We were right to start the match with a 532, and prior to the red card there was little between the teams. We always expected to lose this game with eleven let alone ten men, so we move on to more realistic fixtures in the coming weeks. No reasonable supporter expected us to win promotion this season.

drwhoman

At the start of the season most folk here would have settled for a half way finish. Unless we have a dramatic meltdown or upsurge that still looks likely. You have to wonder, if Rovers were promoted, how would they cope particularly as Norwood will almost certainly have gone, McNulty will have retired etc? A solid season followed by some decent recruitment in the summer seems a good outcome.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought it was a decent performance in the first half today. We did not create a huge amount, other than one header Norwood should have done better with, but we moved the ball well in midfield and did have a constant attacking threat down the right hand side through Caprice. At the other end, we contained Mansfield quite comfortably, harrying and pressing in midfield and defending well, and there was very little between the sides: other than the first goal, I don't think Mansfield had a shot on target in the first half. We did, however, give away too many free kicks around the edge of our eighteen yard box, one of which resulted in a goal. The referee, Mr Tomer, was useless, pulling back play for the slightest contact from a Rovers player and booking several of our players for neglible offences. However, I thought Banks's two yellow cards were deserved.

I agree with Boz that Mansfield were quite flat for long periods of this match, even the first fifteen minutes after half time, when I still felt we were in the game. However, they then upped the tempo with a move of sharp passing and cut us open for the second goal, after which there was no way back. Even taking account of our missing player, I thought the second and third goals were poor defensively: the defence were too slow to react when Davies parried the shot for the second goal, and I think Davies should have done much better for the third, perhaps even holding the initial shot.

Individually, I thought McCullough had a decent game and Buxton did well at centre back. Norwood's workrate and movement was as good as ever, but he understandably had limited service. Caprice was good on the right hand side, and Pringle showed some nice touches when he came on. Ridehalgh struggled defensively. My man of the match was Perkins who rarely gave the ball away and made a big difference to the quality of the midfield passing in the first half.

We are still within reach of the play-offs and we have some reasonable fixtures coming up, so I am not too despondent.

Player
ian goodison
RLC ididn,t expect us to get promoted this season, I went to the Lincoln,crawley & Exeter games were we played some great stuff, since the cup games we have gone to pieces I,ve not seen a decent performance since Exeter, I may be old fashioned but full backs should played as full backs etc all you get on the forums is it,s ok as we have winnable games trouble we can,t buy a win at present. as for still in reach of the play-offs some have more faith than I have

Player
Manager
John King
The limitations in a squad are exposed over a whole season. Just because we put in some excellent performances in individual matches, it does not mean we have got enough quality to consistently put in those displays. Our current league placing reflects the general strength of the squad, and I am happy with it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shame the game was over at half time with the sending off so we cannot see how we would have faired but at 1-0 HT, with 11-men, I'm sure it would have been a much tighter game. Anyway, it's all if's and but's. I don't think talk of the play-offs really helps. Most of us would have been happy with a mid table finish at the start of the season. It just adds fuel to the doom-mongers when we lose a game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC. Another poor game for Rides - about time to give Zoom another run?

Micky and Scottie both a bit prickly in their interviews.

You do think our chances of keeping Nors are reducing week by week - he must be frustrated being isolated so often and not having a cookie type partner, or any decent partner at all

I still think we need some more pace in the side. Apart from Nors and perhaps Caprice we’re a bit slow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks RLC. Another poor game for Rides - about time to give Zoom another run?

Micky and Scottie both a bit prickly in their interviews.

You do think our chances of keeping Nors are reducing week by week - he must be frustrated being isolated so often and not having a cookie type partner, or any decent partner at all

I still think we need some more pace in the side. Apart from Nors and perhaps Caprice we’re a bit slow.
Didn't think Ridehalgh was significantly worse than anyone else. Zoum hasn't looked the same player after the injury at Morecambe and didn't make the bench again today.

Totally agree regarding the need for additional pace

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't have much to add to what RLCs said. Connor Jennings seemed a bit subdued in the opening phase of the game, though could understand Micky leaving him on when we had Banks sent off, due to his work-rate. Norwood might have had a penalty when seemingly jumped upon in the first half, but the referee gave us very little, although Banks arguably could have seen red for his first challenge. Would have to see the goals again to determine how much at fault Davies was for the 2nd and 3rd.

I presume the Pringle for McNulty switch was tactical? He did ok, but not entirely convinced it was the right change for our situation, when you're down to ten men need to bring on more of a grafter. Norwood had a thankless task today and maybe should have been given a breather for Mullin to perform the same role for the closing period of the game.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon was about to bring Pringle on when it was 1-0, so he probably thought there was a way back into the game at that stage. However, we conceded the second before he could get onto the pitch. Perhaps he should have left things as they were, or made a defensive change, but I don't think it made much difference to the outcome.

Player
Manager
John King
I presume the Pringle for McNulty switch was tactical?
It was interesting that McNulty was subbed today. He was on a yellow card, but in the past Mellon would have left him on the pitch in any circumstances.

I thought he was slow to react when Davies parried the ball prior to the second goal today, and maybe Micky also senses he is close to the end now.