• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stags v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't understand why he would choose to start with Stockton in successive games. I know he doesn't have many options but the lad hasn't played for a couple of months. He had Hume warming the bench. That makes no sense.

Player
Liam Palmer
Is he still in the job?

If he had any decency, he'd walk away and give us a glimmer of hope.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have nothing much to add to the comments above. Last night was a sad night for the club, the tremendous support given by the (majority) of Tranmere fans who turned up in great numbers being the only positive, the group of 20-30 morons who caused trouble inside and outside the ground bringing shame on the club and really reflecting the shambolic situation at the moment.

I missed the first 25 minutes but when I arrived we were on top without remotely looking like scoring, a pattern which was repeated for the remainder of the game. There were something like thirteen minutes of stoppage time played but, to quote the old cliche, we could still be playing now and we would not have scored. Unless changes are made, I can't see us scoring another goal this season let alone picking up a win.

The team selection was bizarre again, Micky rolling the roulette wheel. Stockton was poor on Saturday yet starts up front with the out-of-sorts Donnelly, two young kids given responsibility in such a massive game while Hume sits on the bench.

In the second half we managed to be both dominant and shambolic, which is quite an achievement. Players getting to the edge of the eighteen yard box and consistently making the wrong decision, afraid to cross, afraid to shoot, cutting inside when there is space out wide, passing on responsibility. Mansfield were truly appalling, happy to defend their own eighteen yard box for about 80% of the game, and yet we did not force their keeper to make a save: we truly are an awful team at present.

I think Adams should go before Saturday. He is departing at the end of the season anyway and we need someone to at least restore some pride and make us competitive for the remaining games, perhaps Ray Mathias.

I would also agree that Palios has been tarnished by his misguided decision to back Adams to the hilt.

Player
Manager
John King
I should add it was also shameful to hear Adams scapegoating Green for his poor delivery from set pieces in his post match interview. There are plenty of far more senior individuals at the club - Adams included - who should be reproaching themselves.

M

Mal

Good grief. Adams was taken on based on past experience on getting teams out of trouble. Everybody was whinging about Edwards. Palios took action based on who was available, who had past experence and who actually wanted the job. He has some theoretically good players who are not gelling AND a lot of bad luck with injuries/recalls. Hind sight is wonderful for criticising people. In 1987, last seven games, johnny King lost 3, drew 3 and won the Exeter game. We were lucky that there were worst teams than us then. We changed manager in February, then in April. it made little difference. The starting afresh the next season made the difference along with funding. I would like to see Adams when he has a completely fresh start and we get rid of 90% of current first team squad. I trust the long term approach Palios has.

Player
Manager
John King
In 1987, last seven games, johnny King lost 3, drew 3 and won the Exeter game. We were lucky that there were worst teams than us then. We changed manager in February, then in April. it made little difference. The starting afresh the next season made the difference along with funding. I would like to see Adams when he has a completely fresh start and we get rid of 90% of current first team squad.

You think appointing John King as Tranmere manager made 'little difference' to our survival ? Good grief.

From your last sentence I take it you have not seen many games in the last six months. No one is questioning the initial appointment of Adams, merely the decision not to dispense with him to give us a chance of survival.

Added to which, most of the current squad were brought in by Adams, so the majority of the 90% you want rid of are his signings.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes micky cannot complain one bit that he hasn't been backed by MP. All the loan signings not to mention the likes of Taylor, JMW, Hume on permanent deals.

I don't want to keep mentioning Ronnie but he has had much less to work with at Hartlepool and has done wonders.

Micky has mucked about with the side too much, never knowing his best 11. Case in point is Donnelly. Going back a couple of years when Cassidy was banging them in, would Ronnie have put him out wide like micky did with Donnelly? No chance. You play your strikers up front if you want to win games.

I hope the ugly scenes do not appear on Saturday where if things don't go well, Micky will need an escape car waiting. I too think he should have been fired by now to give someone else a chance. Can't do any harm.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Must say I agree very strongly with posts from RLC & Sparky about Micky Adams having had far more resource than we have had had in the past five years and others have had in L2 this season. For example look at the Daggers almost half way up the table now with only 1.8k crowd when we played them, certainly scraping along on frees/loans and I will join in the admiration for the job that Ronnie has being doing at Hartlepool. At least the RLC reference to team selection by means of a roulette wheel made me laugh to break up the very depressing situation we find ourselves in now.

Quite frankly I think it is shameful the way he has man managed the team, the cavalier approach to tactics, selection and the precious resource kindly made available to him.
I have been watching Rovers since 1961 (including away to Southport!) and can honestly say that I have never once called for the sacking of a manager, always counselling patience, loyalty and moderation. However on this occasion if I was a board member I would be calling for an emergency board meeting to propose relieving him of his duties. If we are to fall through the trap door to non league status let us do so with dignity and have one last attempt at rescue: as has been said nothing lost now.

Surely we could bring in as suggested preferably Ray Mathias, Aldo, Nevin or some other capable ex Rover, perhaps for that matter Mark Palios take the reigns himself for the final couple of games. It just might produce that spark and at least we would go down fighting.

M

Mal

Please read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote. He made little difference to the end of the season he was hired. The record was bad for the last seven games. However, we persisted with him for the following season with backing and him bringing in players he wanted. Micky should be given the same courtesy.

You think appointing John King as Tranmere manager made 'little difference' to our survival ? Good grief.

From your last sentence I take it you have not seen many games in the last six months. No one is questioning the initial appointment of Adams, merely the decision not to dispense with him to give us a chance of survival.

Added to which, most of the current squad were brought in by Adams, so the majority of the 90% you want rid of are his signings.

Player
Liam Palmer
Well, it's immaterial as it looks as if Adams will be in charge, at least for Saturday. Pointless turning to Mathias, Nevin or Aldo - they've been away from dressing rooms for years. My preference would be give it to Koumas, but anything is a gamble - especially keeping Adams.

For those talking about clearing out and regrouping in the Conference - Id rather have a clear out and regroup in L2. If we go down another division it makes it even harder to recruit a good manager and players. We need to do everything to preserve League status.

I think we'll win on Saturday, but it won't be enough.

Player
Manager
John King
Please read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote. He made little difference to the end of the season he was hired. The record was bad for the last seven games. However, we persisted with him for the following season with backing and him bringing in players he wanted. Micky should be given the same courtesy.

I did read what you said. I believe the presence of King was a crucial factor in our survival in 1987, and other managers would not necessarily have got the points required.

The comparison with Adams is not a realistic one anyway, as King had only a handful of matches and zero resources to keep us up: Adams has had six months and a bigger playing budget than any of the teams around us.

Adams already has been backed to the hilt in the transfer market, and has not performed.