• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

So Long Nico.

• Thread starter Johnny King is God
  • Start date
J

Johnny King is God

Sad to read today that Eric Nixon has quit as goalkeeping coach due to injuries building up and his knees not being up to all the kicking involved with coaching keepers.

Eric was a brilliant servant to Tranmere and one of the few relics of our 'glory days' still present.

My favourite Nixon memories are:

Him leaving the pitch in his undies after the baying crowds stripped him bare following the win against Crewe that took us out of the old 4th division

My favourite moment ever watching football was Eric Nixon running the length of the pitch to smack David Speedie in the face after we'd all but lost the semi final against Leicester to go into the top flight.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
All the best to Nico in his next career move! He's been a great servant to the club... sad to see him go.

Player
Morrisey
When I was younger he used to be the only player I knew!!! HaHa! Him and the fat Tony 'Tank' Thomas!!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
England's Number 1
England's England's Number 1!

So long big Eric! Thanks for the memories! :D

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
One of the few times I've watched Tranmere play was in Ireland on a pre season tour. Before and after the match Nico and Danny Coyne spent time behind the goals talking to us about the Irish nightlife and Eric gave his gloves to one of the supporters. Seemed like an all round good guy.

All the best mate. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
shocking news to be honest :eek: ah well best of luck Eric.

remember his testimonial v City, great laugh that match.

Some great memories, he was in goal when I started supporting Rovers properly, around 1994. remember some brilliant saves he made, one that sticks out is a save he made agaisnt Ipswich or somebody how he kept it out I'll never know.

Best wishes Nico!

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
The end of an era :cry:

I remember him signing from Man City, it was a major signing and it really felt like Tranmere had 'hit the big time'.

I played in goal as a kid so Eric has always been a hero of mine.

Best of luck, Eric. =D> =D> =D>

cheers for the memories eric!you will alway's be my no1.and i'l tell achto and deeno to leave you're blue suede shoes alone!

long live the "king" and elvis of course! :lol:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Brilliant player, brilliant person. Always prepared to go out of his way for people, a true role model.

He's missed already I'm sure, but the positive side is that he'll be around the club for functions and dinner speeches and elvis impressions for many years to come, let's hope.

B

bwilliams

fairwell eric, thanks for everything you've done for the club

I go to school with his son who is also a top guy

Ally

Player
Aldo
Indeed, a top man. I will always remember walking in on him shagging some bird in the Arrowe Park pub gents bogs. He just turned to me and said 'Evening' and carried on.

A true gent, but a dirty bugger. Best of luck to him.

Ally

Player
Aldo
Yeah. I think he's always thought he was a bit of a hit with the ladies.