• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sky Blues v Rovers (at St Andrews)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is another incredibly tough away game for Rovers at Coventry, in front of the Sky TV cameras.

Our hosts have made an excellent start to the season and are still unbeaten at home. I don't know a great deal about their squad, but there are some familiar names such as Kyle McFadzean and Callum O'Hare, who was impressive at Prenton Park last season when on loan at Carlisle.

I think Micky has a few selection dilemmas ahead of this game. In the absence of Jennings, Perkins and Danns, the midfield will have to comprise two or three of Banks, Potter and Gilmour but the manager might also be tempted to make changes further forward. Blackett Taylor was highly impressive on Tuesday night and Mullin has been underwhelming for a while now. I can't imagine that we will play with wingers in a 442 away from home against strong opposition, but might we revert to a front three, even if that formation has not really worked in previous games this season ?

We might line up something like this:

Davies
Caprice Ray Monthe Ridehalgh
Banks Potter Gilmour
Morris Payne CBT

Perhaps we will stick with two strikers, but a system like the above might be worth trying as a means of getting CBT into the starting line up.

Any kind of positive result will be a huge bonus and I think 6-800 Rovers fans will travel.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There aren't many more players available apart from that 11! Is Sid still out? If fit, he could play in a back three/five. If not, Caprice and Morris could play as wing-backs. That would leave Payne and CBT up front, who could be a handful for the Sky Blues defence.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to inject some pace into our attacking play and try and keep the ball on the ground. Payne and CBT would be perfect for this but only if we play the right way. This could be a real good opportunity for Gilmour to get some game time. Not feeling confident due to recent form and the injury crisis but we keep the faith as always!

Player
aldo
the last time we played them we where struggling , ok we had a certain player up top who could score loads , and we won 5-1 . they lost there last 4-0 you just don,t know im hoping for a battling 0-1 would take 1-1. with no players sent off or pens giving away

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Taking the lead would also be quite refreshing!

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Despite Coventry’s set-back last weekend, they have started well and it will be a major achievement for Rovers to get anything out of the game. Any updates on Perkins fitness?

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree it will be a difficult one - we have only 1 point away from home to date I believe.... if we get anything from the game I will be happy!

Not seen MM's pre match report yet as delayed until today due our game being on Sunday but there are suggestions that Perkins has been training and may be back. Likewise Nelson also may be fit. Personally I would leave the back 4 as RLC has suggested even if Nelson is fit.

If Perkins is fit then he will obviously play in which case I would leave Banks on the bench and play Gilmour who I felt was excellent on Tuesday and deserves another start. So Morris on the left with CBT playing just behind Payne maybe?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's nice Micky has these sort of choices to make. Won't it be great when we have a full squad to choose from?

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Toughest decision for anyone this Sunday is whether I make the lonesome drive from Wales over to Birmingham.
Think we may get a point or sneak a win for some reason but if I end up just watching it on the tele then we’ll end up losing.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We should have a decent back four, without square pegs in round holes, which is always a good start.
Looks like it's touch and go for Ollie.
Pretty sure Gilmour and CBT will get shirts.
Isn't it great that, despite being fourth from bottom, the vast majority of us genuine supporters are still looking forward to each game with a smile.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I believe Perkins is back in training but I wouldn't have in the team just yet, can only see an easy win for them 2 0

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'll begin to relax a bit when we get a "breakthrough" result. In other words, an away win against one of the challengers (like Coventry) or a home win where we dominate from the start and score a couple by half-time. One will come soon, but I'm not sure it will be tomorrow.

Forty-six points is normally enough to stave off relegation but with fewer teams, 44 might be sufficient. So, I think we'll need a point a game to stay up. We currently have 9 from 11. But we are still finding our feet and have had a huge number out injured.

Player
Manager
John King
There are some interesting fixtures at the bottom of the table today, with Rochdale meeting Accy and Southend hosting Wimbledon. We could probably do with draws in both games, although it is unlikely that we will slip into the bottom three this evening whatever the outcomes.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We could drop into 21st if Wimbledon win 3-0 at Southend, a possible result given their most recent results. However, we will then have two games in hand and Southend will be even further adrift.

Player
Manager
John King
We drop into the bottom three on goals scored.

Anything we can get tomorrow is a bonus but we have to beat Southend on Friday. A huge game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No Banks in the team although Nelson & Wilson are on the bench