• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Simon Howarth

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Just reading an article about Jonathan Greening now playing in the lower echelons of English football for Clitheroe FC and noticed that there are two Tranmere old boys heading up the management team there: Simon Howarth and Gareth Roberts. They both had decent spells with SWA and obviously their Welsh connection means they probably know each other personally anyway.

I wonder how many other more recent-ish Ex-Rover's have gone on and had a punt in management. The most obvious to me is Micky Mellon, Michael Jackson and Daniel Coyne partnership at Shrewsbury which has been quite successful.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Howarth did a great job for us and was unfortunate with injuries towards the end of his career. Roberts had a very good career; first with us including playing at Wembley and then with Derby amongst other teams.

John McGreal is currently the number 1 at Colchester who were relegated to L2 last season and hasn't done too bad so far. The most obvious one I think of is Dave Challinor who had a good apprenticeship managing in the League of Wales before doing well at Fylde albeit with some money behind him (although they have failed at the final hurdle in recent seasons).

Ian Sharps is assistant at Chester who seem to be leaking a lot of goals. I think Gary Jones is still assistant manager with former Chester manager Neil Young - possibly at Altrincham or somewhere like that.

Can't think of anyone else at the moment but there will be others involved in some capacity. I think Lee Jones has some sort of role at Wrexham.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haworth was Gareth Roberts' agent and got him the deal at Doncaster that took him away from PP.

What's Ned Kelly up to these days?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Was there also a Goal Keeper with a similar name. Supposed to have potential and some junior international honours??

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Was there also a Goal Keeper with a similar name. Supposed to have potential and some junior international honours??
Yes, a lad called Russell Howarth, who occasionally stood in for Achto. We actually bought him from York City. I saw him have a decent game at Luton, but he was released at the end of the season and sank into obscurity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Howarth

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I dont remember us paying five figures for him. Just didn't get the breaks.

Player
Liam Palmer
Was at the Clitheroe v Consett FA cup match last Saturday - a good game and a decent standard. And nice to see the two ex-Rovers there. Clitheroe lost 1 nil btw.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I remember when we signed Russell Howarth and thought that we had signed one of the best up and coming keepers probably blinded by him being involved in the England U21 squad. I remember watching him warm up before the games at PP and he pulled off some blinding saves and could kick the ball to the other 18 yard box from a goal kick! It's a shame he didn't kick on and fulfil his potential with us or anyone else.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks BBC and Colin K. Amazing to get in Eng U21 squad and not even get a career out of the game. I seem to remember they saw it as an investment with potential to sell on for big bucks.