• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shuker in PFA team of year

Player
Goodison
Shuker was chosen as part of the League 1 PFA team of the year. =D>

The team is as follows:

Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe), Jon Otsemobor (Crewe), Matthew Lockwood (Leyton Orient), Terry Skiverton (Yeovil), Ian Breckin (Nottingham Forest), Wes Hoolahan (Blackpool), Richie Wellens (Oldham), Matt Jarvis (Gillingham), Chris Shuker (Tranmere), Luke Varney (Crewe), Billy Sharp (Scunthorpe).

Strange choice I think hes been a bit in and out this season. Perhaps its beacasue hes made the most crosses in League 1. Goodison and Mclaren have been much better than him this season. Especially Mclaren in terms of midfielders :?

Player
Morrisey
I agree it is an odd choice. I just think that he tries with his crosses and often takes two defenders with him so he has been good in that sense. I think it shows the inconsistant league and the generally poor standard of the league.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'm suprised at that but well done Chris. We'd be nearer relegation without him.

jim

I'm not surprised. The lad works his socks off. Credit where credit's due and I think he's been one of the better players this season and if it wasn't for him and his entertaining wing play I'd have probably fallen asleep at most of the games this season. Ok, so he's no Pat Nevin but for the league we're in, he's definitely worthy of his place. I do think Goodisons worthy of a place as well though for sure.

Well done Shukes.

Pete SWA!

steve davies took 2 awards, players young player of the year and supporters young player of the year.
chris greenacre took players player of the year gavin ward goal of the season (as he was beeing given his trophy some wag called dont drop it!#-o )
ian goodison took the supporters player of the year it must of been his new boots this season!=D>
was absolutely made a lot of people did not rate Ian and wonderd about his re -signing this season but really proved his class just shows what brian little missed out on by playing an internatinal center back as a left back and an international left back in left midfield? (Robbo) i allways thought you play your best players in their best positions then work around them, then again im not an never will be a manager!:roll:
progress.gif

Player
Goodison
i agree with all the awards apart from Davies](*,). I think Curran should have got it beacause he scored on his home debut and he has scored lots of goals for the reserves. Hes also the first young player since Taylor to show any real potential.

Davies hasnt made any progress this season, if any thing hes got worse. Hes a striker yet he cant shoot. And if hes a winger he cant cross the ball. People say he doesnt play in the right position but even when he plays for the reserves as a striker hes only scored 2 goals in 10 games - hes not very good. He runs alot and puts effort in, but theres no quality or result. Him winning the award shows how there are so few young players in the team and shows that Ronnie Moore hasnt given anybody else an opputunity. This needs to change next season and the young players should be playing in the proper games not the pointless games at the end of the season.:wink:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree for the most part about Davies. I personally don't see much in him, I don't thing he brings enough to the first team. I'd assume the reason for the awards was more because of the amount of games he's played this season. He's tallied 18 starts this season, twice as many as the season before, and 13 subs apps, but only 1 goal! (http://whitereview.co.uk/matchday/player.php?id=28)

Without being too harsh, I'd pick him simply because there was no other competition from the youngsters. In fact, if Zola belongs in this bracket, I would have picked him.

Curran is worthy of a mention, as you say, a lot of goals in reserves, but a lot is judged on first team accolades so in this regard, he's only played 1 or 2 games, not enough to be counted IMO.

I'd like to see more youngsters given a chance though. The young persons award sums up for me the lack of competition from the young ones for first team places. Whether that's because of the manager or because they aren't good enough/ready for first team football. I would have been nice to have been able to pick from 4 or 5 youngsters.

Pleased with Goodison winning. He has been very good this season. His form at the start of the season was superb. He had some cracking games, but his consistency and number of games (42 starts) he was very reliable.

Peronally, I'd have liked to have seen Greenacre win but was happy he got the players' vote.