• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And there it is! Woolery rises high for the header. Great cross in too from Lloyd.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Deserved that after dominating the second half. Would have liked another goal but a win is a win. Credit to Hill for making the half time sub as Lloyd who would have been disappointed to be dropped set up the winner and looked really sharp.

Some very good performances including spearing, Woolery and Khan but MOM was McDonald for me who was great at both ends and contributed a lot in the final third. Onwards and upwards. Into the play offs and not far from the top 3. Happy days

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We've done it! Now up to fifth and still in the play-offs if Newport win their game in hand. Some of our rivals dropped points. This side fears no-one and hopefully we will get another good player in by Monday evening.

Interesting that we are on a run of luck regarding sendings-off and penalties. Long may it last!

Player
aldo
good for Woolery we need more goals from him, with Exeter and Newport Salford losing and forest and Cheltenham drawing, been a really good day

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit of a scrappy game but sometimes you have to dig deep and grind out the points. Credit to Morecambe, for all the pressure we put them under in the second half, they defended well and only limited us to a couple of really good chances. Massive three points and really puts us in the mix now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A really professional performance and a great result.

I thought we edged the first half, having the better possession and playing some decent football, but we were excellent against ten men after the break. We used the full width of the pitch and kept switching the play, with both full packs pushing on, and Morecambe barely got out of their own half. I thought Morecambe's tactics were surprisingly negative, as they seemed happy to defend their own eighteen yard box from the moment they had a man sent off, and posed no attacking threat whatsoever after the break.

Individually, I thought Spearing, Feeney and Woolery all played well and both full backs were superb, and were key to the victory. Manny seems to be back in form and his distribution was much better today. Kirby showed a few nice touches in the first half once he got up to the pace of the game. However, my men of the match were Otis Khan and Danny Lloyd. The latter produced a great ball for the goal and introduced far more energy and urgency to our play after half time.

All credit to Keith Hill, who has responded to criticism with a fine run of results. We are now fifth, one point off the automatic places, and there is no reason why we can't target the league title.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
... there is no reason why we can't target the league title.
Wow, I haven't heard any Rovers fan say that for a long time. ;) It shows what four wins can do in a very competitive league. It is definitely on the cards given our position and the strength of the squad, but we still need the rub of the green with injuries, suspensions, Covid etc. We haven't been champions of any league since the Second World War, but frankly I'd settle for third place at the moment. ;)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A much better and dominant performance in the 2nd half and I maybe wrong but I dont remember Scott having a save to make.

With their games in hand Carlisle have to be favourites for the title but we are right in the mix now. Its going to be an interesting couple if days with the transfer deadline looming.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great result, match doesn't sound that much of a spectacle? How did the older players fare today, fading towards the end or full of beans?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great result, match doesn't sound that much of a spectacle? How did the older players fare today, fading towards the end or full of beans?
Fine, but obviously we dominated possession for the most part. I still think most of them need to be rested on Tuesday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fine, but obviously we dominated possession for the most part. I still think most of them need to be rested on Tuesday.
I can't see any of them starting that game, save possibly Vaughan, due to Jolley's unavailability

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can't see any of them starting that game, save possibly Vaughan, due to Jolley's unavailability
Vaughan could still be rested if Ferrier is fit to play.

drwhoman

The challenge on Lewis I think.

A very tight game but we have been the better side and played the better football, although Morecambe do look nippy in the final third. Hopefully we can make the man advantage count.
Great win! According to the BBC the sending off was for using foul and abusive language! I assume that he doubted the ref’s parentage to his face!