• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps v Rovers

Player
aldo
at the end of the day if you had said to me after the Stevenage game we would be 5th and 1 point of the auto places and 4 off the top I would have bitten your hand off, the hard part now is keeping it going over the next few weeks and months, and again well done KH Daws and Parky doing great

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we have to remember that it is far from inevitable that you win a game against ten men. We 'lost' both periods of the games against Bolton and Harrogate when the opposition were a man down.

The performance in the second half yesterday was excellent, both tactically and in terms of the application of the players. I think it was crucial that, unlike the previous games mentioned, Hill had the half time break to reorganise the team following the red card.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think we have to remember that it is far from inevitable that you win a game against ten men. We 'lost' both periods of the games against Bolton and Harrogate when the opposition were a man down.

The performance in the second half yesterday was excellent, both tactically and in terms of the application of the players. I think it was crucial that, unlike the previous games mentioned, Hill had the half time break to reorganise the team following the red card.
The key to playing v 10 men is to move the ball quicker and to stretch the pitch, our full backs were key yesterday to spreading play to effect.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was actually surprised at how poor Morecambe were with ten men. They were happy to sit ridiculously deep, whereas if they had left two strikers up front I think they could have caused us problems, as Harrogate did in midweek.
Yes, I agree. It made for such a one-sided second half trying to defend for 45 minutes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't see the game, but it sounded like Morecambe had almost settled for a draw, whereas Bolton and Harrogate were already behind when they went a man down. Credit to KH for adjusting the line-up to address our man advantage. I suggested at the time Lloyd would be a good man to bring on, but wasn't sure who he'd replace.

Player
Manager
John King
Just out of interest, which other teams in the promotion race have impressed people ?

I would say Carlisle and Forest Green are the best sides we have played, the former for their organisation and the latter for the quality of their football. Exeter were also a very good footballing side, but we were absolutely hopeless in that game.

I was not particularly impressed by Cambridge, Cheltenham, Newport or Salford.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Due to Ifollow issues, I only get to see the brief highlights of away games, so it's hard to call. Carlisle were well-organised and battled hard, Cheltenham hard to say as Rovers were rubbish that day, but they also made a decent fist of their Cup game v Man City. Agree Forest Green were a good footballing side, but lacking their usual bit of bite and the keeper didn't seem confident, we probably deserved to win that game more comfortably.

Aside from Carlisle, the side who played the best tactical game against us and exposed our weaknesses were Walsall.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just out of interest, which other teams in the promotion race have impressed people ?

I would say Carlisle and Forest Green are the best sides we have played, the former for their organisation and the latter for the quality of their football. Exeter were also a very good footballing side, but we were absolutely hopeless in that game.

Carlisle were very good and their league positions shows how well they have been doing even with all their games in hand.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Forest Green were quite dangerous on the attack and will definately be in the mix. Having said that, I don't think there any any outstanding or breakaway teams which is great news for the run in as there will be lots of teams fighting for the top spots.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just read the Morecambe manager's take on the game. Given it was a while after the event, surprised that he hadn't looked back at the footage for the sending off language, which was clearly audible. The other thing he and a few Shrimps fans mention, which wasn't shown in the brief highlights was the Morecambe disallowed goal in the first half. I don't recall a mention of it here (and am too lazy to trawl back through all the posts and check atm) so would be interested on the thoughts of those who watched the game about this incident.

Player
Manager
John King
Just read the Morecambe manager's take on the game. Given it was a while after the event, surprised that he hadn't looked back at the footage for the sending off language, which was clearly audible. The other thing he and a few Shrimps fans mention, which wasn't shown in the brief highlights was the Morecambe disallowed goal in the first half. I don't recall a mention of it here (and am too lazy to trawl back through all the posts and check atm) so would be interested on the thoughts of those who watched the game about this incident.
I thought it was a well worked goal - great through ball, good first touch, cool finish - but looked a clear offside.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Not really been that impressed by anybody really, Carlisle were well organised but had little creativity, I didnt see the Exeter game

Player
Manager
John King
Not really been that impressed by anybody really, Carlisle were well organised but had little creativity, I didnt see the Exeter game
It is definitely a much weaker division than two years ago. I have not seen anybody of the same quality as Lincoln, Bury or Mansfield from that season.

Player
ian goodison
as RLC says the 3 teams he mentioned above really were quality to me Mansfield should have gone up