• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It almost seems like a lifetime ago I was in the away end for the scenes that followed Harvey gilmours last minute winner to make it 4-3 from a Zoom across in October 2018. Absolute pandemonium with Eric Nixon’s most notable contribution around that time being an alleged punch thrown at Kevin Ellison. Only Manny and Scottie are survivors from the starting 11 that day. A lot has happened since then of course but this Saturday is a big game with two in form sides going head to head.

Since long standing manager Jim Bentley left the shrimps have done well under ex Plymouth manager Derek Adams. Going forward they are a real threat with the athletic Mendes plus top scorer and playing below his level Adam Phillips supporting a certain stocky centre forward. Cole Stockton will no doubt want to get one over his former employers and is capable of scoring at this level. John O’Sullivan also decent for the hosts who notched an impressive midweek win away at Exeter.

Rovers who have won 3 in a row did look a bit jaded on Tuesday and it will be interesting what if any changes are made. The dilemma is those that may be the most tired, are arguably our most influential players down the spine of the team. My guess is they will all play and any changes may be the likes of Lewis or Khan stepping aside. That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if we’re unchanged again. If it ain’t broke etc...
Prediction: we’ll be tested in this game and don’t forget we have conceded 5 in the past 3 games. Can’t see a rovers victory (hope I’m proven wrong), but would gladly take a point.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm keeping an open mind. Both sides are on form, so it could go either way. However, I think a 0-0 draw is unlikely. Morecambe have conceded the most goals per game of any team in the top half - even more than Rovers, although their defence has improved recently. I'm predicting a 2-1 or 3-2 either way.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not as cautious as Sparky about this game and can certainly see us winning it. There is not really any side in this division that frightens me, and although Morecambe are in very good form they did not look fantastic in the reverse fixture. I think our biggest enemy will again be fatigue: there were real signs of tiredness on Tuesday night, and the quartet of Clarke, Spearing, Feeney and Vaughan must be feeling shattered at the moment, but will almost certainly all have to play again. After Saturday we have a full week before our next proper fixture, so hopefully they have one more performance in them before getting a break.

In addition to the players mentioned above, Morecambe also have Diagouraga who is getting on a bit but did well at Brentford. Ex-Rover Ben Pringle is also in the squad, but does not seem to have featured much recently. It will certainly be a test for Kahn up against Philips, and we will probably have to take some sort of measure to protect Otis if he remains at right back.

A draw would be a decent result but I think we are capable of getting more.

drwhoman

I have always been surprised that Adam Phillips has not done better than he has. A ski
I am not as cautious as Sparky about this game and can certainly see us winning it. There is not really any side in this division that frightens me, and although Morecambe are in very good form they did not look fantastic in the reverse fixture. I think our biggest enemy will again be fatigue: there were real signs of tiredness on Tuesday night, and the quartet of Clarke, Spearing, Feeney and Vaughan must be feeling shattered at the moment, but will almost certainly all have to play again. After Saturday we have a full week before our next proper fixture, so hopefully they have one more performance in them before getting a break.

In addition to the players mentioned above, Morecambe also have Diagouraga who is getting on a bit but did well at Brentford. Ex-Rover Ben Pringle is also in the squad, but does not seem to have featured much recently. It will certainly be a test for Kahn up against Philips, and we will probably have to take some sort of measure to protect Otis if he remains at right back.

A draw would be a decent result but I think we are capable of getting more.
Phillips has always struck me as a guy who should be playing at a higher level. It may be that he will not be at Morecambe long! In the meantime. let us hope that we can win on Saturday and that Stockton does not score against us!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Although it will be a tough game I can see us going there and just edging it 2 1. Not expecting many changes as I think a number will be left out of the pizza cup game in midweek.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Jumping ahead, I think Keith will be tempted to field a strong team against Posh. I bet he makes only three or four changes to bring in the likes of Ray, Jolley and Kirby.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll struggle to win this one simply because of the amount of games we've played in the last few weeks. I think a lot of them are going to have to dig deep if they want the points and the rock 'n' roll football will have to wait till next week. Just think it might be one game too many at the moment. I hope I'm wrong of course!

Player
Manager
John King
Jumping ahead, I think Keith will be tempted to field a strong team against Posh. I bet he makes only three or four changes to bring in the likes of Ray, Jolley and Kirby.
I would be surprised if we don't make wholesale changes for that game. We are playing two games a week until mid March and there will be serious risk of injury to players if we don't give them a rest.

Player
aldo
I would play Kirby in this game, it is going to be hard we all know that but we said that of the Forest green game, I will also so say a positive 1-2 with Vaughn and Woolery getting them

Player
aldo
I agree to play the fringe players and some kids, give the senior team a rest or as many as we can

Player
ian goodison
not seen any games yet so will have to on what others think regarding the line-up after 3 home games if we can win here it will be a big statement, no prediction just hoping for a win

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Morecambe didn't look much better than Rovers in the game that saw the departure of Mike Jackson, both teams seem to have improved since then.
I thought we might have made some changes for the Harrogate game, as we didn't, no surprise if Keith starts with the same xi for the trip to the Lancs coast, but think that will create problems with player fatigue. No gut feeling about how this will pan out.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fully fit squad according to Keith. Talked pre match about general rotation and possibly at times rotating 25% of the outfield players if needed but keeping your spine as consistent as you can.

some snow due tomorrow morning. Hopefully no question marks around the pitch

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Our last winning run took us briefly to 7th so let's hope we can barge back into the play-off places and find the consistency to not look back. A win, any win, would be a great result. I'd be quite happy if the current run of penalties and opposition sendings off continues - it wasn't too long ago that the former seemed to happen once in a Preston Guild. The footballing Gods do tend to even things up, but not this week please!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Manager
John King

I think that is the best interview Keith has given since he arrived here. He seems more comfortable and focussed and is perhaps starting to feel at home after the tricky period a few weeks ago.