• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shrimps v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our first visit to the Globe Arena, though we did play a few friendlies at their old ground Christie Park. We beat them in the home game 2-1, in one of the better games of the Edwards era. The Shrimps are comfortably placed in the top half of the table and have Rovers' old boy Kevin Ellison in the starting line-up,who enjoys acting out the pantomine villan role.

Some concerns after the aggro at the end of the home game. Our away trips seem to have brought out some Neanderthals, fireworks, flares and racist chants amongst the away-day experience. I'd hope they don't come up against Shrimps fans making up for missing out on the 70s.

We haven't had any injury or transfer updates yet, there was mention of Fenelon having a sore toe. A fairly strong Rovers side lost to Bootle in the Liverpool Senior Cup last night, suggesting that the 6 or so players with significant first team experience in that starting line-up aren't likely to be forcing their way into the first team anytime soon. I wouldn't expect many changes from the Swansea line-up; Odejayi instead of Fenelon or Stockton, if fit seems the most likely.

Prediction: Think we'll take around 800 to the game. Need to get a result and feel a draw is most likely.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Some concerns after the aggro at the end of the home game. Our away trips seem to have brought out some Neanderthals, fireworks, flares and racist chants amongst the away-day experience. I'd hope they don't come up against Shrimps fans making up for missing out on the 70s.

I agree with the sentiment, but is a bit harsh to compare our highly advanced evolutionary cousins to an element of the Rovers away 'support'. I certainly hope our fellow travellers don't turn up on Saturday.

Regarding the game, I agree that it will probably be the same team as against Swansea; we missed Odejayi's physical presence against the Swans, but Stockton might be preferred on Saturday. With results going against us last week, we need at least a point, and may be capable of getting all three. Morecambe were mediocre when we played them in August and their form has dipped since then, although their home record is still decent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a crucial month. I hope by the 31st, we have significantly improved our squad and moved back out of the bottom two. After the distraction last Saturday, it's down to business. Realistically, our next four games - Morecambe (a), Accrington (h), Hartlepool (h) and Exeter (a) - will need to yield at least two wins or a win and two draws for us to make any headway. Anything more will be a bonus and real progress. At least we seem to have a settled team, as long as they all stay fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Results werent great at the weekend and really need 3 points out of this one but can only see a draw. Hope Odejayi returns.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think we might bounce back with a comfortable win. I hope we are on front foot and that Holmes is assigned to Ellison as he can be dangerous as well as being a praat at times.

Hope we do business for a striker soon as Odejayi seems to be looked on more favourably these days. I was never as down on him as some, but equally if he becoming first choice, then I think it clearly indicates we need strengthening pdq.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ellison is a bit of clown really. I don't remember him wearing the jesters outfit when he played for us, bit I do remember he wasn't that good! He can be dangerous at this level to be fair.

Odejayi is the perfect player at this level and someone that fits Micky's profile. He had all the physical attributes, wins the ball a lot and causes problems for the opposition. Now that he is also scoring goals, makes him more valuable to the team. Got injured at a real bad time as I thought he was playing his best football for us.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agreed about Ellison Ian and I think we have the players to keep him quiet.

Ref Odejayi I always thought he was worth a place in the squad and may play himself into the first eleven, although I was reflecting that there used to be some quite strong dissenters earlier in the season. M.A. may be a good boss for him I guess.

Player
Manager
John King
Probably a fair outcome in a game relatively low on quality which was seriously affected by the terrible conditions. However, I agree with Micky that we missed a trick in failing to pick up three points: we had a really dominant spell in the first 25 minutes of the second half but failed to press home our advantage, with Laird missing our best chance from six yards after a good move. Thereafter, we took our foot off the pedal and allowed Morecambe back into the game, and the substitutions did not help our cause by taking a lot of the energy out of the team.

For the first ten or fifteen minutes of the first half we started brightly, despite the disadvantage of playing into the wind. We put some great deliveries into the box but failed to attack them, a pattern which was to be repeated throughout the game. Morecambe gradually came into the match, and the play became increasingly scrappy, with a lot of huffing and puffing in midfield from both sides, but no real quality in the attacking play. Kevin Ellison was their greatest threat throughout, and looks a lot more effective in a Morecambe shirt than he ever did for us. An injury to Holness, apparently serious, forced a switch to 4-3-3 with the Swansea lad coming on up front, but did not disrupt us defensively as we continued to look pretty solid.

After half time, with the advantage of the wind at our backs, our performance was greatly improved, and as stated above we penned Morecambe back for a long period. However, a lack of ruthlessness in the final third cost us again, with a lack of presence in the six yard box when the ball was in wide areas a particular problem. Whether this was down to the unwillingness of midfield players to load the box, or Stockton's failure to anticipate the delivery, I am not sure. With twenty minutes to go Fenelon was replaced by George Donnelly, who was next to useless, and this change allied to the replacement of Laird by Koumas seemed to slow the tempo of the game and actually took the wind out of sails.

Overall, I was pleased with the organisation and spirit as in most recent games, and given Morecambe's decent home record and the sometimes farcical conditions, perhaps a point is a decent result.

I thought Thompson and Holmes were probably our best two players. The Swansea forward showed some nice touches when he first came on, but faded badly in the second half, although this could simply be down to rustiness. Fenelon did not have the greatest of games but worked tirelessly, but in contrast I think Cole needs to work harder and impose himself more physically. Although our best performances came from defenders, there was no standout player, so I would give man of the match to the travelling SWA who gave fantastic vocal support throughout, something that has been commented on by their manager.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. I see the SWA nearly made up 50% of the attendance today! At least we got a point and continue to improve slowly but steadily. This is a useful point if we can win our home games. Anyway, from reading Micky's post match comments, it seems clear he is desperate to get some new players in such is the lack of quality in the current squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Largely agree with what RLC says above. While Rovers had the bulk of possession, Morecambe with Ellison and Redshaw looked the more likely to score.
Rovers had excellent support and am quite happy to echo RLCs nomination for MOM to the SWA.

I think we had real problems in attack and creative midfield, which meant that our control of the match couldn't be converted into a win. Fenelon works hard, but doesn't get into the box enough to cause damage. Stockton is never going to be a physical player of the Odejayi ilk, but he needs to attack the ball more. However he wasn't all bad, some good holding play and one very good play-switching pass. Rory Donnelly's first touch today was very poor, even though he worked hard. Whether this was ring-rustiness or an inate weakness remains to be seen. Then there was George Donnelly...

I did not understand Micky's dumping of all the transfer-listed players except George; Rowe, Baggie and Richards have all scored for us this season whereas he has not. It was a bad decision by Micky to deprive us of those options and actually bringing him on weakened the side. I'd have kept Laird on, who despite his second half miss was having a reasonable game and simply swapped Fenelon for Koumas.

Player
Manager
John King
I did not understand Micky's dumping of all the transfer-listed players except George; Rowe, Baggie and Richards have all scored for us this season whereas he has not.

I can only assume that the other three are already in discussions with other clubs, unlike George (who is unlikely to attract interest). Otherwise, it seems a slightly strange decision.