• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shrewsbury vs Tranmere

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Is there any doubt as to whether the match goes ahead? The BBC's headline " Shrewsbury floods 'could seal off town' " doesn't exactly fill one with hope!

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Is there any doubt as to whether the match goes ahead? The BBC's headline " Shrewsbury floods 'could seal off town' " doesn't exactly fill one with hope!
You would think it would be in doubt. The old ground was very near the river, but the new stadium is a bit higher. However, transport and general activity in Shrewsbury must be affected. The police may also be stretched at the moment. But the fact there is nothing on the TRFC OS and their manager posted his preview on their OS just an hour ago leads me to believe the game will go ahead unless something else occurs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The stadium is out of town and a fair distance from the affected areas, so hopefully the match will go ahead. I would not imagine that problems in the town centre would prevent supporters from reaching the ground from residential areas, but I might be wrong.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only see home win, think it will be 2 0

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes, it's very difficult to predict anything but a home win. However, at some point our winless run will end whether that be via an inspired performance by us, a dreadful performance by the opposition or a huge slice of luck. Let's hope it's tomorrow.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it's very difficult to predict anything but a home win. However, at some point our winless run will end whether that be via an inspired performance by us, a dreadful performance by the opposition or a huge slice of luck. Let's hope it's tomorrow.
Indeed.

I thought we looked better with Vaughan and Ferrier up front on Saturday, playing better football, with better movement. If Cook does start I hope we don't move the ball from back to front as quickly as in recent games, as we have not really looked like creating anything when we have fired long diagonals up to him to knock down.

We are still at the stage where a victory would give us a realistic chance of survival, however negative the mood around the club is.

The ticket sales are poor and I can't see more than 400 SWA travelling. Hopefully tomorrow night is the night.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Assuming the game is on I really feel that this is the last chance saloon for our slim hopes of staying up and for MM also. For those very few who go I expect they will be scanning the stands to come up with rumours as to who was casting an eye over the team!

Have no idea what side MM will go with TBH - surely he can't stay with the same 11 as on Saturday. CBT for me is simply too lightweight and not in the game for long enough and needs dropping. I also would go Ferrier and Vaughan. Manny has been poor recently - will MM feel that he simply has to roll the dice and risk Ellis or even Gumbs given he clearly doesn't fancy Nelson. Unlikely but feel he has to take risks.

Player
Manager
John King
Assuming the game is on I really feel that this is the last chance saloon for our slim hopes of staying up and for MM also. For those very few who go I expect they will be scanning the stands to come up with rumours as to who was casting an eye over the team!
Personally, I will be watching the match.

I hope Mellon is going nowhere and will be here next season. :)

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The only player who I felt was below par at Wycombe was Scott Davies, who didn’t change his succession of long punts upfield even after Cook was subbed. However Micky doesn’t appear to have any faith in Pilling, so not expecting any change of keeper.

Of the other players ADD suggests were out of sorts, I didn’t think Manny played that badly. Clarke was understandably a bit rusty and did ok. CBT got little of the ball, a combination of Davies’ reluctance to bowl it to the wide players and tight Wycombe marking. If MM is going for the Vaughan-Ferrier pairing up front, then perhaps less need for CBT and more for a Gilmour/Danns type to play it on the ground for that pair to run onto.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with a lot of your points, but Davies did make two crucial saves (one in each half) to keep us in the game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The only player who I felt was below par at Wycombe was Scott Davies, who didn’t change his succession of long punts upfield even after Cook was subbed. However Micky doesn’t appear to have any faith in Pilling, so not expecting any change of keeper.

Of the other players ADD suggests were out of sorts, I didn’t think Manny played that badly. Clarke was understandably a bit rusty and did ok. CBT got little of the ball, a combination of Davies’ reluctance to bowl it to the wide players and tight Wycombe marking. If MM is going for the Vaughan-Ferrier pairing up front, then perhaps less need for CBT and more for a Gilmour/Danns type to play it on the ground for that pair to run onto.
there is little chance of Gilmour starting, he rarely gets a look in nowadays

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My thoughts in a nutshell! I would expect few changes, as a 3-1 defeat away to a top side is no disgrace. MM will surely be close to knowing his best side and how to tweak it for each game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It seems likely this game will go head if the tweets from the hosts are accurate.

drwhoman

Interesting team. Ellis back in place of Monthe but CBT still in with Cook and Vaughan up front. A midfield of McCullough, Woodyard and Morris is a balancing act. Not hugely creative but not over defensive either. Wilson and Ridehalge probably as good as we have at full back. Come on Rovers!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Assume Manny dropped with him partly being to blame for akinfenwas goal on Saturday. It’s been coming as he’s been poor for a while and could have confidence issues in a relegation battle.
Ellis returns against his former aide. I’m a big fan of Mark but he’s been out a while and not sure how much L1 experience he has. This is a big game to return for but all big games now

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cookie keeps his place which is interesting. Hopefully gets some more service as 5 games without a goal I think since he returned. We desperately need more from CBT and Morris

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very surprised at Ellis returning tonight, after just an hour of football and on what promises to be a heavy pitch with all the rainfall in Shropshire. Manny had a dip in form recently but unsure he deserved to be dropped.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Goals are like buses!!! 2-0 up after 15. Ellis and Woodward!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice to see the Rovers attack getting up in numbers. Well worked goal for the first with good work from CBT with a low driven cross with Ellis tapping in at the far post.

Second goal good direct attacking play with a Morris shot parried by the keeper fell nicely for Woodyard to slot it in. Terrible defending by Shrewsbury too.