• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shrewsbury vs Tranmere

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, we did but isn't it a strange game where we went through a period not able to buy a goal and then we score three in one match. The defensive frailties are still there as we simply cannot defend set pieces. Maybe we should take on the Kevin Keegan philosophy of making sure we score more than the opposition every week. That would make an entertaining end to the season!
We will be stronger defensively in the long term with Clarke and Ellis in the side.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well what a transformation! Unreal. Something has obviously been put in the tea..... so much more creative and so much more confidence even when they pegged us back to 2-2. Not sure what to attribute that to??
CBT was immense last night which annoys me even more the way he played on Saturday and was lazy as. Plenty of comments previously about him being a young player and I get that but that should only lead to inconsistency and not laziness. He was very lucky IMO to be picked for the game but fair play he was excellent last night. If he can play even close to that for the rest of the season that could make so much difference as we finally had an outlet.
Talking about excellent, for Ellis to come back after only 45 minutes game time and to play like that is truly inspirational. He and Clarke seemed to gel so much better together and from the off. Assuming they stay fit that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the fixtures. Wilson was also superb I felt and Rides apart from a couple of poor headers put in a shift and did not disappoint. Good play in midfield with Mc Cullough running his socks off again after such a long lay off and Woodyard excellent again whilst Perks and Jennings did the business when they came on. Davies for the first time in god knows how long actually going for a quick release and to devastating effect. Could he persuade himself to go for it for the rest of the season... I do so hope so.
Two negatives once again conceded from a set piece - Clarke beaten for the header but still our set piece delivery was poor. CBT eventually relieving himself from corner duties but Morris did not do much better. Needs to be better as we miss so many opportunities by not clearing the first man...
Can we stay up - I thought no chance before last night but the play was so different last night that I now am not 100% sure. Still unlikely, I suspect but maybe if we can finally find some consistency and avoid injuries to the key players... we need buckets of luck for sure but let's hope!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
CBT was immense last night which annoys me even more the way he played on Saturday and was lazy as
If he played like that every week, he would probably be playing at a higher level. He’s got a lot of talent. Hopefully that will come with age.

ADD

Player
Norwood
If he played like that every week, he would probably be playing at a higher level. He’s got a lot of talent. Hopefully that will come with age.
Ian yes undoubtedly but last night was the first time in several he made any effort.... as I said we can all forgive inconsistency in young players but laziness I cannot. Hopefully his confidence now is up and we will see him playing with energy and commitment from now on even if things don't go his way all the time....

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
[
Ian yes undoubtedly but last night was the first time in several he made any effort.... as I said we can all forgive inconsistency in young players but laziness I cannot. Hopefully his confidence now is up and we will see him playing with energy and commitment from now on even if things don't go his way all the time....
If he can do that our worst case scenario is half a million in the bank come season's end!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jason Koumas could have gone on to better things as his talent was superb. He was just too lazy..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Jason Koumas could have gone on to better things as his talent was superb. He was just too lazy..
He definitely had some issues as so many of his managers found him too difficult. However, Johnny King always seemed to get the best out of him.

Player
aldo
The pitch is i quit a bad state was talking to one of our lads who works at the ground . And the forecast is dire for Friday into Saturday

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The pitch is i quit a bad state was talking to one of our lads who works at the ground . And the forecast is dire for Friday into Saturday
It could be a busy June with any more postponements and coronavirus creeping ever closer ...

Player
Manager
John King
He definitely had some issues as so many of his managers found him too difficult. However, Johnny King always seemed to get the best out of him.
BBTC, Koumas only played under Aldridge, Watson and Mathias.

I don't attribute CBT's inconsistency to laziness. I think wingers will always have games where they struggle to get involved and don't make an impression, particularly young ones (think of Morrissey at times).

Some of the criticism he has received has been over the top, and his performances have been better than a lot of people suggest. I can think of four or five really excellent games (Coventry away, Hull in the cup, United in the cup, Fleetwood away, Shrewsbury last night) and several others where he was no worse than his teammates.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I can't see it being on if the forecast is anywhere near accurate, unfortunately. Heavy rain expected overnight on Friday and on Saturday morning.

A real pity if it is called off just as we are getting momentum.

Player
aldo
!st a hope it's on we need it to keep the the great vibes from last night but i think they will call it tomorrow or early friday

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
BBTC, Koumas only played under Aldridge, Watson and Mathias.
The memory plays tricks! I stand corrected, but the point is still valid. He was a good player for us but struggled under other managers. Yes, he was playing at a higher level, but I don't think that explains everything.

Player
Manager
John King
The memory plays tricks! I stand corrected, but the point is still valid. He was a good player for us but struggled under other managers. Yes, he was playing at a higher level, but I don't think that explains everything.
BBTC, you don't need to defend him to me. He is one of my favourite players of all time (as you can tell from my avatar). ;)

I think he was a success at Cardiff and West Brom as well (particularly Cardiff), but he did not have the push to become a top six Premier League player.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
BBTC, you don't need to defend him to me. He is one of my favourite players of all time (as you can tell from my avatar). ;)

I think he was a success at Cardiff and West Brom as well (particularly Cardiff), but he did not have the push to become a top six Premier League player.
probably the most skilfully player in my time watching rovers, had a good career and did well at international level too

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
probably the most skilfully player in my time watching rovers, had a good career and did well at international level too
That's true. In fact he probably excelled more for Wales than his clubs. He must have been very close to a top 6 move at times.

drwhoman

Koumas was a great player but even in his era you had to be more than skillful. A strong work ethic was essential. This is even more the case today. If you look at today's most skillful players like De Bruyne or Maddison you have to do the hard yards as well, or you are perceived as a luxury that cannot be afforded.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Getting back to the game I didn't realise that was Ellis' first goal for Tranmere.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Getting back to the game I didn't realise that was Ellis' first goal for Tranmere.
Ellis had not scored a league goal for four seasons, Strange that he got one a few minutes into his first after a long layoff. Andy Cook must be seething. ;)