• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shrewsbury v Rovers

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Planning to make the trip on Tuesday, ,mainly because I'm off work (coincidentally) so I can. I wouldn't normally bother and don't expect us to have much of a following. I guess that all the non-regular starters from the squad will play, we will include the minimum first teamers to abide by the regulations and fill up what's left from the apprentices.

So, depending on fitness, Ellis, Cole, Harris, Tollitt, Caprice, Akammadu, Williams should all start and possibly Mottley-Henry. I would definitely rest Buxton, McNulty, Bakayogo, Jennings, Smith and Banks then select any permutation of the other starters from Saturday (plus Norwood). The names may vary due to injuries picked up on Saturday affecting the likely starting XI vs Macc but I suspect that the team will pick itself in MM's mind.

Not expecting any kind of positive result, even though I would expect the Shrews to follow the same logic in their team selection. I would be happy with a competitive performance and a demonstration that we can make a number of changes and still keep a coherent shape.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am planning to go to this if I can get out of work in time, although the 7pm kick off is a pain. I doubt more than 100 Rovers fans will travel and if, as is likely, we lose the game, it will be interesting to see how many turn up for a dead rubber against Man City stiffs. Hopefully not many.

As ONIGP states, I am sure we will play the weakest team we can get away with. The line-up could be something like this:

George / Wharton

Monthe
Ellis
Sutton (depending on fitness)
Caprice

Cole
Harris (I think he is training again)
Gilmour
Tollitt / DMH / Williams

Mullin
Akammadu

It will be interesting to see the fringe players, but I just hope we get through the night with no injuries to anyone significant.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The early ko is strange and will certainly dent SWA numbers at the game.

We don't get much information on the long-term injuries, has Sutton recovered from the broken leg, what news of Ridehalgh and Gumbs? I was a little surprised that Williams didn't make the bench for Morecambe, so maybe he's not match-ready. With possible issues with Zoum's hamstring, I'd be inclined to rest Monthe and play Buxton at left-back, while given how crucial Gilmour has been to our winning the last two games, I'd prefer to see him rested for this one.

Player
Manager
John King
Sutton and Gumbs are back in training, but I am not sure how close they are to starting. Ridehalgh has only just come back from St George's Park.

Gilmour is young and has hardly played this season, so should be capable of playing three times in a week. Unless Williams plays in the centre, I don't think we will be able to field a midfield without him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the injury updates. Any idea exactly what the problem with Ridehalgh is?

I agree that Gilmour should be fit enough to play midweek, but if we are going to stick with 1 up against Macc, wouldn’t want to risk being without Harvey in that one. Maybe time to bring back the diamond formation on Tuesday...

Player
aldo
yes harvey cant play he seems to have realy come to the plate and chomping at the bit. imagine if he plays we lose and he gets injured we cant afford that . wouldnt play noors . play akamundu !!!! williams tollitt if waring is still at the club get him on cole larnell should play as for dmh play or send back not been good since he came back .

ADD

Player
Norwood
We have to play 4 regular outfield players. Stockton qualifies as a regular as he has played in majority of games this season so we should play him - he won't be so mobile but given he has been playing with the hernia for a few weeks he could still do a job. Sutton and/ or Ridelagh if even remotely fit also qualify so we should play with them. Harris and Tollitt also are qualified players so that is at least the 4. Wharton to start in goal definitely and yes Gilmour needs to be rested. Yes he is young but they often keep playing whatever - last thing we want is tiredness causing an injury! Otherwise Williams needs to play and DMH who has been poor so far this season. Mullin should be rested - good idea about Waring - some scouts might see him and be impressed? Akammandu also needs a full game.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I think Stockton is being protected ahead of his operation now, so I doubt he will feature.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yeah I get that RLC. Of course what I was thinking is he could start and then need subbing earlyish... we then still have him qualify as one of the 4 qualified players so we are fulfilling the requirements. Might be considered a bit unethical though I suppose. Would like to see couple of the youngsters again - see how far they are off. Can't remember who it was but one youth FB made the bench one game and played in pre-season and looked fine.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This is a great game for some of the fringe players. It will be interesting to see how they perform. I'd like to see more of Akammadu who looks strong and pacey.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
ADD l think you may be referring to Carl Spellman and Nick Long. I would hope they would make the squad unless they have been loaned out.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thanks ONIGP - yes it was Spellman in particular I was thinking of.

Player
aldo
good to see williams and akkamud or what ever his name is great to tollitt get a game hope he puts in a good performance harris and larnell . good to see buxton back its a strong team we put out . norburn playing . hope we get a win and 10k in the pot

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed and TB H I am surprised by how strong a side we have put out!
Wharton
Caprice
Elis
Sutton
Buxton
Tollitt
Williams (first game!!) looking forward to seeing him in action!
DMH
Harris
Cole
Akammadu

Pleased to see youth keeper Passant on bench Monthe Smith Jennings Norwood Gilmour Mullin also.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's an interesting line-up. I thought Mullin might get a game given he's unlikely to start on Friday and I'm surprised we've got so strong a bench, rather than giving opportunity to the likes of Spellman, Hunt and Walker-Rice. MM perhaps still wanting to progress in this tournament Good to see Wharton given a first start outside of a friendly.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Clever subbing on Saturday allowed that starting XI which is spot on regardless of result, invaluable fitness opportunity!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
3 down in 22 minutes, doesn't sound good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
3 down this could get messy, I take it the keeper has gone back to Liverpool, lets hope Davies does not get an injury any time soon

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Never liked the competition anyway!!

Disappointing first half as on paper we have a half decent side playing