• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shaymen v Rovers

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Talking of full backs switching wings, Danny H moved to left back a few times last season and was excellent cover there. Ah well.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the great reports guys. This is not the first time that Rovers have not played for ninety minutes. Do they seem fit to you? Or is it more that they lose concentration, confidence or whatever? I imagine the late Halifax goal in the first half did not help (the Wroe who played for Shrewsbury when they were promoted?), but whatever message Gary gave them at half time (if any!) clearly did not inspire them!
I'll have a stab at this, though would be interested in RLC and anyone else's view who was at the game.

Fitness didn't seem to be a particular issue. GTF and Harris, the players returning from injury didn't seem to be greatly lacking in that regard. Maynard, I feel has found it hard to adapt having switched from a part-timer and maybe needs more work developing stamina.

Conceding the goal close to half time was a blow, but heads didn't seem to drop, perhaps in part because of the quality of the strike. It was the Wroe you mention, currently on loan from Notts County. Losing Ridehalgh to injury at h/t was a blow because of the need to move Vaughan to left-back meaning that we lost a lot of the quality build-up seen on the right in the first half. Don't know if Vaughan has played there much before and he wasn't lacking defensively, though maybe not as versatile as Danny Holmes.

Losing concentration/confidence. Didn't think this was particularly prevalent, the players seemed to keep their heads up too. What did happen was that the midfield seemed to sit deeeper so the forward players were more isolated, whereas in the first half the units had played closer together. There tended to be more aimless long balls as a result. That is something perhaps the manager shoould have addressed from the touchline.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With regard to today's game, I just think it is indicative of a team in poor form and low on confidence. We battered them in the first half but did not go in ahead as we deserved to. As a result, we lost composure and did not stick to our pattern of play or press high enough up the pitch in the second half.

More generally, good ninety minute performances this season have been few and far between: Gateshead, Chester, Cheltenham, Grimsby (perhaps ?) Bromley, Forest Green, Wrexham (apart from the last fifteen minutes). There are not many others. I think this can probably be put down to the number of changes in personnel and tactics between games (often unenforced), playing players out of position where they are uncomfortable (as happened today with the fullbacks due to injury) and perhaps the inability of the manager to make tactical changes during games to improve performances. You might also add in a general inability to motivate the players, but that would be speculation.

drwhoman

Thanks for your helpful thoughts RLC and Boz. Your comments seem to confirm what has been said before to the effect that we have some decent players it is more about trying to get them to work as a team for the full ninety. The apparent lack of coaching from the touchline clearly have something to do with this. I am not sure we need the full blooded Jurgen Klopp approach but we certainly need something!

Player
Manager
John King
Returning to today's game, the 4-2-3-1 with GTF behind Norwood works really well. It is the system we played in our last really good performance at Forest Green and is 'something to build on', to use a favourite phrase of the manager.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Do you think this system would work at home?

Player
Goodison
What a depressing season, I can't comprehend the lack of activity in Brabin's brain - why does he persist with Jennings? Why does he constantly change formation? Why does he plan to play 3 in midfield this season, but then only sign 3 midfielders? Why does he want to sign a big number 9 when we've got an army of centre forwards already? Why does he compare us to Wrexham, and basically say once you've been down here for a few years you will enjoy being shit? Why does he say every team parks the bus when they clearly don't? He's the worst manager in our history, since the last one.

Player
Manager
John King
Do you think this system would work at home?

Possibly, but fundamentally I don't think things will change for the better while Brabin remains in charge.

I agree with RTID's comments, particularly regarding the manager's recent excuses. With the resources we have this season we should be comparing ourselves to Bristol Rovers, Luton and Cheltenham, not Wrexham who were in financial crisis when they came down. Even two weeks ago Palios stated that the target this season was to reach the play-offs at the minimun, yet Brabin now claims remaining in the division for eight years is acceptable. Why does MP allow him to keep spouting this nonsense ? If mid-table really was the target this season and we were told in August I am sure supporters would have accepted the situation and decided whether buy season tickets based on that knowledge, but it is not and we were not.

The 'parking the bus' excuse has been peddled by both Brabin and the local media and is really infuriating. The last two home games demonstrate that it is nonsense. Braintree outplayed us and Wrexham put four past us on our own ground.

The size of the away turnout yesterday is evidence enough of the supporters' opinion of Brabin and the Macclesfield game has now been made pay on the day for home fans, as we have not sold many tickets. I just wish MP would take note before permanent damage is done.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The latest from Brabin is that we have been too expansive this season I despair of him still being in charge and his embarrassing comments please Mr & Mrs Palios get rid

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we all know it's got to get a lot worse before GB gets the boot ! Ohh what joy we have ahead of us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we all know it's got to get a lot worse before GB gets the boot ! Ohh what joy we have ahead of us.
This.

In Brabin's latest utterance, we may not have the funds to extend the contacts of those on short-term deals, even though it would seem there is the money to recruit a new target man striker and Tomlinson looks like signing. If we don't extend Mekki's deal until the end of the season, while offering Tomlinson one...:mad:

drwhoman

I will now metaphorically put my head in my hands for the rest of the week! Supporting Rovers in the last few seasons has been very painful!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mekki & Tomlinson is an interesting one. Adam did not impress me whatsoever at the beginning of the season but has improved over the months. He has worked hard and looked dangerous on occasions and for me is certainly at the right level for his ability. He doesn't however have great pace and I don't think his set piece delivery is particularly great. But Dawson aside our wide options this season have been poor - Ridehalgh, Marlon Jackson, Tomlinson, Kirby (not been given a chance to be fair but probably not a realistic option for success). GTF is too slow & cumbersome to play there.

As for Tomlinson well GB obviously likes him. He hasn't been fit and overall has been poor since he joined us. Apart from the Halifax game where I understand some glimpses were shown of what he can do.

I would only release Mekki if we had a better option to bring in, e.g. another player on a par with Dawson. If not, I'd give him a contract until the end of the season and review it then. I doubt he'll have clubs queuing up for him.

As for Tomlinson, I'm not sure on the rules surrounding loans but surely if GB wants to keep him then it makes more to extend the loan rather than sign him permanently. Of if we do the latter, just sign him until the end of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
Tomlinson showed on Saturday that if he is played down the middle he can be a real threat. His career statistics back this up, scoring fifteen to twenty goals every season when he was Lincoln.
From what I saw on Saturday, I would not be averse to keeping him longer.

However, my real concern is not individual players, as I still believe we have a good squad for this level, but rather how they will be used by the manager. If Tomlinson does stay there is every chance he will be stuck out wide again by Brabin.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I can't believe there is any consideration being given by Brabin to letting Mekki leave. Week in week out this man is one of the very few who puts in a shift. He may not have scored many goals but he creates so many openings by dragging defenders out of position and I believe he is seen as a major threat by most oppositions as evidenced by the close marking he gets and the physical thumpings, poorly disguised as tackles, he has had to endure.
I'm afraid if Brabin lets him go it will be further evidence of the poor judgement he has shown in his player management. With his chopping and changing, playing people out of position, he has managed to destroy the confidence of a number of his signings who initially had shown signs of achieving a level of success ie. Mangan, Maynard, Riley, Sutton, Hogan, and Margetts, not to mention denting the confidence of some of those he inherited, ie. Kirby, Hill and Iheikwe.