• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sharps was forced out of the club

• Thread starter championship_here_we_come
  • Start date
C

championship_here_we_come

Sharps, forced out of the club?

taken from a rearguard article link,
shaprs emailed them to comfirm things and say thanks to the fans, so heres the letter:

As you will probably know I have now left Tranmere and have signed for Rotherham United. I wanted to write to say thank-you all for your support, loyalty and friendship over the last 15 years. Despite the way I have been treated by the club, the fans have always made me proud to play for Tranmere Rovers.

I have supported Tranmere since I was 5, and of course that will not diminish and I will continue to follow the lads and club. There were some rumours that I was being 'greedy' by requesting higher wages and there was also speculation that I was being bitter that the club hadn't given me a new contract. These are not true, and in fact I learnt I had been released via the radio. I did try numerous times to contact the club to confirm or deny this and I am still waiting, some three weeks later, for someone to 'get back to me'. All this despite the fact that I feel have given 100% to the Club over the past 15 years!

So, it's the end of an era, but one I look back on with fond memories. I no doubt will nip onto rearguard from sunny Rotherham - where I suspect and hope I will see some of the familiar names.

Thank you all very much - keep in touch - and all the best for the future.

Ian Sharps
PS. I'll let you all know if the wife has a little boy or girl!

favo94

Player
Was ian sharps
Well if its true, then im disappointed in the club, ian has only ever given the club 100%

Player
Morrisey
I think it is a hoax. Not too sure about it! Dont think the club would be that ignorant!

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I doubt very much that this is a hoax. Tranmere officialy anounced at the end of the season that all out of contract players would be contacted eventually. Sharps obviously wants to support his family and leaving the club he loves behind to do that, i say =D> to the guy.

It wasnt the best thing the club could have done but i understand it, new manager, new players, the thoughts. Good luck in the futuree Ian Sharps =D>

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Think this is genuine and although Ian did give 100% every game i'm not too disappointed to see him go especially if we bring better players. I would say it is disappointing how the club have treated him but i'm not going to get on the clubs backs too much as I think the quality of players they have been bringing in so far this pre-season is of a good standard. Good luck to Sharps in the future though apart from when he plays against us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's great that he's 100% white and has given everything for the club, but that's doesn't mean the club have to keep him. Let's be honest, if we have ambitions of promotion, Sharps wouldn't be in my team. He may have given 100% but he simply wasn't good enough.

Not knowing the ins and outs, I'm not entriely sure what 'the way I have been treated by the club' means. To be honest, I dont want to know either.

All I'm concerned about is getting the best bunch of players we can for a push out of this league. Thanks for the efforts and good luck with your new club, but let's move on. I dont see how bad mouthing the club/manager for this departure will do any good.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Does seem a bit contrived as far as posts go, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was a hoax, it certainly wouldn't be the first or the last on that 'other site', but then again I wouldn't be surprised if posting in that way really was Ian's only outlet to contact the fans and thank them.

Not mentioning 'Cheshire Bars' does strike me as out-of-character! Of course I wish Sharps all the best for the rest of his career, he's a good lad who desperately needs a haircut.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
he's a good lad who desperately needs a haircut.

:lol: sorry, this made me laugh unintentional or not..

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Sad to see him go I think that he had a poor season, poor tatics and formations let the him and the club down last season.I think that it was time for him to move on,everything about the club went wrong last season and now we are under a new era new players, new team new spirit and I feel that he felt out of place because hes been the heart and soul of the Rovers defence for many years now.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I wondered why I always thought of sheep when watching Tranmere last season NBDH. :lol:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One below par season shouldn't have resulted in this. What does bother me is the desparate bid to get Goodison back by Ronnie Moore, seriously hope that is a hoax. Haven't seen any sign of the promotion winning central defensive signings yet, the names mentioned so far seem to be past-it players who've worked with Ronnie before.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I wouldn't worry too much yet... Ronnie has been in talks with defenders but those have fallen through. I'm sure he still has things up his sleeve. I would think Goodison will do a decent job for us at CB next season. He isn't a LB and he got slated far too much in my opinion for his performances in a position he shouldn't even have been in. Brian Little takes the blame for Goodison at LB in my opinion. When Goodison played at CB towards the end of last season I thought he did very well.