• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Shakers v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Before the third round Cup game, we have 3 very important league games starting with the trip to Gigg Lane on Saturday.

When we got relegated to the NL, Bury the football club asked their fans to be respectful, advice which was not heeded. They also are managed by Ryan Lowe, a snake who slithered out of a comtract with us to head back to Bury. Having got them relegated, he’s made a reasonable stab at management this season and they now have a new chairman. Another key player is winger Danny Major who was briefly on loan at Rovers.

It will be interesting what formation MM uses. A return to the 451 of Notts County, sticking with the 532 successful at Southport or something else. I would imagine if we revert to a back four McNulty and Monthe would be the central pair.

Looks like a decent pre-Christmas turnout for the SWA, with our initial 1k allocation sold out and another 300 requested. I’d hope that we can turn around our poor run of away results in the league and grab at least a point.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Despite the hosts' 4-2 defeat at in-form Oldham last week, this looks a formidable fixture. The Shakers must have one of the strongest squads in the division - Danny Mayor, Nicky Maynard, Nicky Adams, Neil Danns - with many of their players capable of playing at a higher level. It is hard to see how they can afford a squad of such quality on their modest gates, and recent accounts showing enormous losses and rumours of financial instability, suggest they are spending money they have not got.

Bury are free-scoring at home and we have let in goals like a sieve away from home in recent weeks, all of which points to a home win. However, as Boz alludes to above, the boost from Monday night's victory and the successful tactics employed by MM give me hope that we can get something from this game. I would not be surprised if we stuck with the 532 formation, but I am pretty sure we won't play an open 442 after our recent troubles on the road.

As Boz comments, Ryan Lowe was a talented but mercenary footballer and not a particularly wholesome character. However, after listening to Matt Jones' interview with Steve Jennings recently, I am not surprised he left in 2014 after being offered a derisory contract by Jeremy Butler, an equally dubious individual.

I think we have sold about 1,200 advance tickets, so the Rovers following could be similar to that at Crewe a couple of weeks ago. With a series of winnable matches to follow over the Christmas period, I would be delighted with a point.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I think MM will keep this one tight. We need to stop shipping goals and although it might not be the prettiest, it may just get the job done. Even a draw would be an improvement over recent away league results.

Player
aldo
If I'm right in thinking didn't Bury take a massive loan out a year or two ago with huge percentage to be paid back. Yes the . S. W. A. Are brilliant how many times havewe taken 1k plus away this seseason the home teams must love it as it brings moneys in to there club's. I hope we can cut out the stupid defensive mistakes and return to a solid rovers a sneaky 1-2 for me really hope that they leave Connor in the middle he is best there and he does like December

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given recent league form even the most optimistic of rovers fans would say a point is all we can hope for. As RLC points out the shakers have plenty of good players at this level and in Danny Mayor they had one of the best players in the league. And also a certain Joe Murphy in goal.

I’m never the most optimistic but given our leaky defence on our travels I can’t see past a home win I’m afraid.

Player
aldo
Ho Ho Ho Ho we gotta win some time . Chin up the boys will be playing for there places for the spurs game . Bring it on

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Christmas fixture list and the FA Cup draw have been kind to us. We have three home games and our two away matches are within an hour's drive, so we should be as fresh as any team during this period leading up to the Spurs game.

I am not so gloomy as most about Bury. Yes, our away league form is poor but as AM says, we gotta win some time. The cup replay should have lifted the squad and given them more belief.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ok, it was only Southport, but defensively on Monday night we did not look like a team that has shipped 20 odd goals in 8 away games. Until confidence is restored I'm happy to see 532 away from home.
McCullough in for Gilmore the only change for me.
Didn't appreciate Ellis has such a long throw. Where's Cookie now!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not good news about McNulty, hope he's OK.
On a positive note, we are playing well here. 0-0 HT but quite honestly we should be leading by a few goals.

Norwood has had three great chances and Harris just before HT.
Need to put these away second half. Bury looking a little flat.

Player
Manager
John King
Bury have had lots of possession but we have had three great chances and should be ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
Tactics have been spot on so far and Caprice is a constant threat on the right.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds like bury can’t be that bad again. Hope the missed chances don’t come back to haunt us. Especially now McNulty is off

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have slid down the table to 10th, as it stands. However, if we could turn this around, we'd move up to 4th. It's very tight and fluid in the top half of League Two.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Norwood has missed another great chance on 63 minutes. He's had four great chances now. Not his best game so far..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another defeat on our travels. Await any reports but it sounded like we were the better side and creating chances especially first half.

No surprise sadly then that early in the second we concede with Macca off. A header from Maynard according to twitter who must have been one of the smallest players on the pitch.

Nors purple patch seems to be fading. Does he need some competition to give him a kick up the ass? Apart from Mullin every now and then, no other strikers are scoring. Stockton and Akmanndu are a waste of a wage.

2 winnable home games coming up but disappointing our poor run away continues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's frustrating because we had great chances today.