• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Salford v Rovers

Match result

• Salford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Salford v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Peninsula Stadium
Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In the past, games have been called off if six players had the flu. Had it been an EPL game, it would not have started.

drwhoman

I am not sure why my last post has been repeating. Technical incompetence somewhere! Apologies for that! Anyway, on more important things. A great result! True grit! But As others have said, why was the game played? Did Salford refuse to postpone?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there's going to be a club statement soon detailing the events leading up to the game and why we could not call it off like many other clubs have done due to COVID.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think there's going to be a club statement soon detailing the events leading up to the game and why we could not call it off like many other clubs have done due to COVID.
It's out now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As suspected, the EFL show absolutely no common sense and the club couldn't take the risk of a 15 point penalty. It's all getting a little tiresome. Never hated a season so much as this one and we are only a few games in! :speechless:
Talk of double standards, the efl are s total disgrace and dont know what they are doing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good to see Neville and Scholes setting a good example of social distancing. At least Keane kept his distance. :rolleyes:

salfordcrew.jpg

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Good to see Neville and Scholes setting a good example of social distancing. At least Keane kept his distance. :rolleyes:

View attachment 121
Not a face mask in sight either. Absolute prats.

Rearding the EFL issue, surely some sort of protocol regarding a Covid outbreak at a club should have been in place before a ball was even kicked this season ? It is a situation that is completely predictable.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
ITS THE E F L for you just a bunch of kn&bs. would have loved being there today imagine the fans going bananas at the end

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not a face mask in site either. Absolute prats.

Rearding the EFL issue, surely some sort of protocol regarding a Covid outbreak at a club should have been in place before a ball was even kicked this season ? It is a situation that is completely predicable.
Grimsby called off 2 games must still be under investigation. You would think there would be something in place but no.

drwhoman

Here is the relevant part of the Club statement.

"Given the situation, the Club spoke to the EFL regarding whether it would be possible to postpone the match. We were informed that if we did so there would be a formal investigation, as would happen in the case of any failure to fulfil a fixture. We were also informed that as there was no medical advice that it was unsafe to play, there was no guarantee that the Club would not suffer a deduction of up to 15 points as a consequence. This was not a risk we felt prepared to take."

I can only agree with others that the EFL have rocks in their heads but it will be the usual situation. Other clubs will not care until it happens to them. It clearly needs the larger wealthy clubs that have probably have more clout to demand a more professional approach from the EFL. And Parry was CEO of Liverpool? If it was not so tragic it would be funny!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As I implied earlier, there is no way (say) Liverpool would have played Man City under such circumstances. There would have been uproar about the unfairness and the risks to others.

However, it may have played into our hands. Would we have done better with a full team? I don’t know. But this must feel like a win and the effect on management, supporter, team and squad morale must be worth at least two wins!

Seriously, Jacko earned his spurs today and our league position does not do us justice. We are unbeaten in three tough away matches and have only had one serious blip at home. We can all be proud this weekend.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ve just read the full statement. https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/ne...statement-this-weekends-game-at-salford-city/
It is a very measured but damning criticism of the EFL’s policy - or lack of it - on Covid infections in clubs. It shows that the EFL’s attitude in putting the onus on Rovers to cancel the fixture and put themselves at risk of potential relegation to the NL (It could happen again next week) is seriously flawed and could have dangerous consequences.

I would bet that they will now feel obliged to formulate a sensible Covid policy, although a bit late for us.

Reactions: Boz
Player
ian goodison
brilliant reply from Nicola throwing everything back in the EFL,S face, I stand to be corrected but if rovers had 2/3 players on international duty the game would have been called off anyway !!!!!! sorry if I have strayed a bit

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What confidence does anybody have if the EFL doing the right thing though? 15 points seems an OTT sanction, given notlob were deducted nothing for missing a game at Doncaster last season. Can understand we wouldn’t take that risk though

Player
Manager
John King
What confidence does anybody have if the EFL doing the right thing though? 15 points seems an OTT sanction, given notlob were deducted nothing for missing a game at Doncaster last season. Can understand we wouldn’t take that risk though
I don't think the EFL will introduce proper guidelines. It seems that clubs that bend the rules like Grimsby will be quietly ignored, whereas clubs like Rovers that request a postponement through the proper channels will be refused and effectively penalised.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Clearly the 15-point deduction was identified as a potential issue by the EFL and this would effectively kill any hopes of promotion. Given relations between the club and the EFL, we should not expect any favours. In fact, such a penalty would put us in the relegation zone for several weeks. If the season was abandoned and PPG was again applied, we could be back in the NL next season.
I don't think the EFL will introduce proper guidelines. It seems that clubs that bend the rules like Grimsby will be quietly ignored, whereas clubs like Rovers that request a postponement through the proper channels will be refused and effectively penalised.
I think once the inevitable happens and more (EFL-friendly) clubs are affected by similar issues, the EFL will have to act. In fact, I expect this sort of problem to become more widespread and threaten completion of this season's competition.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Great result - have to admit that i didn't see that coming! If only IFollow had shifted the cameras to Neville at the end - would have made my day!
Still don't get the Burton substitution - suggestions that he wasn't covering back for Manny on here yesterday when Salford were playing it through the channels but he was playing CF - it was Left Mid who should have been covering Manny not him
That said Manny seemed to be free lancing and was way out of position on numerous occasions in the first 30 minutes.
In any event Burton did great - that back flick early on to set up Lewis was top drawer and he should certainly get more opportunities going forward. Was also strong on the ball for a young lad who is not tall either. One positive from a crazy situation.

Player
Manager
John King
There have already been several cases involving other clubs, but the EFL have done nothing. They seem happy to put the onus on individual clubs to postpone games, under threat of some penalty that may or may not be imposed further down the line.

I am not convinced the EFL is competent enough to deal with the issue effectively.