• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Salary cap

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597
The EFL are proposing a salary cap for L1 (£2.5m) and L2 (£1.25m). This is definitely a step in the right direction. The only issue I have is that relegated clubs will have some flexibility as they will have more highly paid players still on contract, but I can't see an easy way round this. Another idea is to limit squads to 20 players, which seems impractical given injuries and suspensions.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Need to get this season sorted before turning to next season, the amounts quoted are very small to say the least

Player
aldo
yes but its what mp has been going on abt and football needs to come back to the supporters and not greed all the time

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Need to get this season sorted before turning to next season, the amounts quoted are very small to say the least
Which is a good thing for us, whatever division we end up in. Our base budget last season was 2.5 million, the figure quoted.

Sorting out this season and ensuring the long term future of clubs are part of the same issue.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don’t object to the principle of salary caps, but I disagree with the suggested figures where L1 is double L2.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Don’t object to the principle of salary caps, but I disagree with the suggested figures where L1 is double L2.
Yes, but I expect the EFL has deliberately suggested low figures to give room for negotiations. You obviously need variation between the divisions, but it will cause problems for promoted and relegated clubs. I think you might need contracts which can flex when clubs move up or down the league.