• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Saddlers v Rovers

Match result

• Walsall

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saddlers v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Banks's Stadium
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Confirmed Vaughan hasn't trained so that's a huge gamble.

To me its clear he doesn't know how to get the best of the players at his disposal, he doesnt know the best formation to use and seems to have no idea how to get uscout of this slump.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He pretty much said he is still looking for an answer but that’s been plainly obvious anyway. He was probably hoping he didn’t need to use Vaughan either and was only there as a booster to the squad but things got a bit desperate.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The one saving grace was previously that his PPG record in his period in charge was strong. However, it stands at 1.67 for his 28 games as manager, which I think is actually pretty poor with this group of players and is play off form at best.

We only really had a consistent period of form under Hill in January and February. His first ten games in charge were scratchy and unconvincing and the last eight have been terrible.

Player
Manager
John King
Confirmed Vaughan hasn't trained so that's a huge gamble.

To me its clear he doesn't know how to get the best of the players at his disposal, he doesnt know the best formation to use and seems to have no idea how to get uscout of this slump.
It looked to me like Vaughan was running with a limp.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He’s probably only going to be ready for the last 2 or 3 games which means we still have a major problem for the games coming up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We all talk about the loss of Vaughan but I wonder if Wembley was a watershed. Did the defeat, although expected by many, leave a dent in morale and confidence? We have won just once since and hardly scored. Our form pre-Wembley without Vaughan was patchy but much better than after. Just a thought but we’ll never know.

Player
Manager
John King
No, I think Hill's inability to adapt tactically to Vaughan's injury has become more apparent as time has passed, and the ineffectiveness of Nugent was exposed as more games were played. Confidence was then lost gradually as we failed to perform effectively as a team.

We did not actually look like scoring at Wembley, despite playing good football. The problems were already evident.

tyke

Player
Geenacre
Do you think that one piece in the jigsaw is that two games a week for six months, more or less, has simply caught up with all of them, both physically and mentally? We thought we had pretty good cover in all areas apart from number nine, but somehow it has not really turned out that way. Are Clarke, Spearing, Feeney, Woolery jaded, and the loss of Vaughan and needing to play a different way fifty games in is just too much to ask at this stage of the season?

What is the conversation between Hill, Dawes and Parkinson this morning? Stick or twist for Saturday?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Surely they have to try something different on Saturday and that does not include wheeling Nugent out for a quick run around.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Do you think that one piece in the jigsaw is that two games a week for six months, more or less, has simply caught up with all of them, both physically and mentally? We thought we had pretty good cover in all areas apart from number nine, but somehow it has not really turned out that way. Are Clarke, Spearing, Feeney, Woolery jaded, and the loss of Vaughan and needing to play a different way fifty games in is just too much to ask at this stage of the season?

What is the conversation between Hill, Dawes and Parkinson this morning? Stick or twist for Saturday?

players will be jaded with the schedule but it’ll be the same for every team. We had A few extra pizza games but I guess one of the negatives of having so much experience is perhaps the older players are running out of steam more than younger ones would.

i think a lot is confidence. Even players like Feeney who have been there and done it many times look devoid of any belief. The disappointment is that everything has gone wrong arguably because of the loss of one single player which is a failure from the management - both not having adequate back up and not finding a way to win without Vaughan.

Player
Manager
John King
players will be jaded with the schedule but it’ll be the same for every team. We had A few extra pizza games but I guess one of the negatives of having so much experience is perhaps the older players are running out of steam more than younger ones would.

i think a lot is confidence. Even players like Feeney who have been there and done it many times look devoid of any belief. The disappointment is that everything has gone wrong arguably because of the loss of one single player which is a failure from the management - both not having adequate back up and not finding a way to win without Vaughan.
Yes, I agree completely. I am sure the senior players are struggling physically, but I think our big problem now is mental rather than physical. A lack of confidence within the squad and a lack of belief in the way we are set up tactically by the manager.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whilst there is a lot of pressure on Hill at the moment for obvious reasons, the players also need to shoulder some blame and take more responsibility. We have an experienced team with some senior pros that have been there and done it and they need to step up too. Some of their performers of late have been unacceptable. Can you put that solely down to their management?

I think as a collective, they all need to step up.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst there is a lot of pressure on Hill at the moment for obvious reasons, the players also need to shoulder some blame and take more responsibility. We have an experienced team with some senior pros that have been there and done it and they need to step up too. Some of their performers of late have been unacceptable. Can you put that solely down to their management?

keith did say post match a couple of times that he can only prepare them etc but he can’t cross the white line. Every manager says this and it’s true to a degree, but rightly or wrongly the buck stops with him

ADD

Player
Norwood
Reports elsewhere of the club blocking fans for suggesting on Twitter that Hill should go....
Disappointing that - fair enough if it is abusive but if simply statement of fact very poor after all the fans have paid a lot of money in season tickets this year and got very little for it..... and after all MP and NP should count themselves lucky that there have been no fans in the ground over this horrendous run of form as for sure their feelings would have been very clearly made!
As to Saturday Hill has shown zero inclination to roll the dice to date but assuming he is still in charge on Saturday which appears likely given no announcement this morning then surely he must do and play Jolley or Burton up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would be amazed if Jolley or Burton are involved. They can’t even get on the bench ahead of the ostracised CBT. Agree with others that Vaughan didn’t look great last night so assuming he can’t start on Saturday I suspect it’ll be one of the usual recent suspects eg Lewis, Woolery, Lloyd of Nugent.
Unless of courses Dawes and Parky are in charge (unlikely), in which case CBT could be involved who thrived under those two

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Vaughan looked well off it, still a few weeks away. I think Hill is going to see the season out, I can't see MP making risky decisions like VD, doesn't seem like him. I think he will do his assessing when the season is over.

Regarding Twitter, it is a shocking mess after a loss. It is not a nice read. We can all agree or disagree about KH but most of it is just vile abuse.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not so sure MP will wait until the end of the season. If there is a repeat performance on Saturday, which is highly likely, and it becomes apparent we won't even make the play offs, he might act.

There has been a substantial investment this season, so it is whether he is prepared to let that go down the toilet. Under a different manager, there is still a reasonable chance we would be promoted this season.

The salary cap will not apply next season, which will allow clubs like Salford, Bradford and Mansfield to spend big, so the quality of our squad and our chances of promotion will almost certainly be significantly reduced.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he did sack him, I would assume it would be the dynamic duo of Parky/Dawes waiting in the wings so no real hanging around for an appointment to be made. Maybe we'll see what Saturday brings.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are still in a good position to make the play-offs, but not if our current form continues. With automatic promotion now unlikely, given the gap and the current form of the top three, to get promoted we probably need a couple more league wins followed by two monumental performances in the playoffs. That looks unlikely but still possible, even under KH. Installing Dawes and Parkinson might work, but is still risky. Bringing in a new manager at this late stage would be difficult and even more risky.

I think MP will leave things be and hope things can be turned around. Such things do happen and have happened this season. If things don't improve, I expect KH to go once MP is convinced we have no chance of promotion. Dawes and Parky will hold the fort again and we will be back on the managerial merry-go-round.

Player
Manager
John King
At this stage, keeping Hill looks riskier than giving the job to Dawes until the end of the season.