• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wycombe

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strangely, our next three games are against teams we've already beaten in the corresponding fixture earlier in the season. However, all three opponents are playing much better than when we last played them. None of them would be easy, even if we were in good form.

Rovers' next match is against high-flying Wycombe. Since winning at Adams Park last August (the high point in Rob Edwards' reign), the two teams' fortunes have gone different ways. It's not a "must win" game and Rovers will not be expected to win, but I just hope we can get a more positive display than the last two performances. Every time we did badly under Micky, we bounced back in the next game - until Saturday. Another poor display would be difficult to recover from.

How well we do will depend on the players' mental state and Micky's tactical nous, both of which have been found wanting recently. If I were Micky, I'd go back to the successful Shrewsbury formation and pick players on current form not past reputation, which may mean Laird for Power.

I fear a narrow defeat. We'll play a lot better but just fall short, 1-2.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As BBTC says, tomorrow night's game give us a chance of an unlikely first double of the season, which just emphasises how our form against the better sides in the division contrasts with our record against the strugglers.

Wycombe will come to attack us and will probably allow us time to play a bit of football, and I am certainly expecting a better performance than Saturday. I would prefer us to start with a 4-3-3 formation, as the 4-4-2 leaves us lopsided and exposed in the centre of midfield, and I would imagine there will be a couple of changes from the weekend, with Thompson certainly, and Laird probably, returning to the side. Wycombe have a few decent individuals, such as their young striker who is in good form, Paul Hayes and Sam Saunders, but their success this season seems to be built on teamwork rather than outstanding players. Their away record is formidable, however, and it is certainly difficult to see us winning the game; like BBTC, I have gone for an unusually pessimistic 1-2 defeat.

While this game may not be characterised as 'must win', we really need to pick up four points from the next two games, with some very testing away matches to follow. Games will be running out soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wycombe have been a surprise package in L2, having narrowly escaped relegation to the conference last season. Their away record is very good, only 1 league defeat, with Fred Onyedinma on loan from Millwall as leading scorer and man to watch. They do have a bit of a reputation for a slightly cynical approach to the game, especially on their travels; think Stevenage or Notts County under Martin Allen. I do not expect this to be a pretty game to watch.

Rovers are likely to be without Robert Taylor. Molyneux apparently had a difficult match at Cheltenham, perhaps no surprise given it's years since he played at left-back. I would prefer to see Ridehalgh there. Thompson is fit again and should come back into the side. If we're not playing 3 at the back, would prefer to see him paired with Ihiekwe and drop Dugdale, who's been fairly dismal since returning. We may also be short up front, with Donnelly an injury doubt. Mixed messages about Hugill from those at the game, but a forward pairing of him and Odejayi would be too similar in my mind and leave us playing a long-ball game. Laird should start in midfield, but expecting there will still be a place for the undroppable Max Power.

Prediction; a way to travel from Bucks, so doubt there'll be more than 150 from Wycombe in a crowd of ~4k. Agree with BBTC and RLC that a narrow away win is most likely.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm a bit more positive about this one. Having seen Mickys reaction after the Cheltenham game I fully expect the lads to be fired up for this one straight from the off. As has been pointed out Wycombe are a threat and have the best away record in the league I think. Onyedinma will be a handul and on recent form I worry if Dugdale has to look after him. But the Wanderers havent been great recently (2 wins in their last 8) so are not on top form but of course neither are we.

Agree this is not must win but another defeat and the whole spirit in the came will get even worse. 0-0 draw for me especially if we're missing Donnelly.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
But the Wanderers haven't been great recently (2 wins in their last 8) so are not on top form
Unfortunately, York, Carlisle, Portsmouth and Cheltenham weren't on top form either, but we kick-started their season. I can't see us getting anything from the game, but I hope you're right and the rest of us eat our words.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think the team is very fragile at the moment. Heart is saying a nervy close fought win. I won't reveal what my head is saying.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
cant see us getting anything but beaten 2 1 to them

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Small consolation that most of us got the result exactly right! It sounded like a hard fought encounter with Rovers showing more spirit than in recent games. It's a shame we got nothing to show for it and so many of the other results went against us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We showed more spirit in the second half, but in all honesty it was a pretty lame performance. We never looked comfortable, we had no real pattern to our play and it was generally poor. Subs made no difference, having a man sent off made no difference and we are in a big heap of trouble. I can't see how we're going to dig ourselves out of this. Players don't look like they've got it in them. Why did it also take them to score before we started to play? First 20 minutes was wasted, and if Micky thinks bringing on Kirby is going to change anything, while Koumas sits on the bench, he's in for a rough last few months.

Depressing night. Dropping down to third bottom surviving only on goal difference.

Player
Manager
John King
A depressing evening. In the first half we did ok, probably actually edging the game on chances and I thought we were unlucky not to go in level at half time. However, in the absence of Donnelly and JMW we simply did not have enough quality in the second period to really trouble what in truth was an average and cynical Wycombe side. In the second half we looked genuine relegation material; the injuries to key players have hit us at the worst possible time, with the team already suffering badly from a lack of confidence.

Considering the absences, I thought the first half display was decent, as we did at least look organised and created one or two openings. We were unlucky with the penalty decision, as the ball appeared to strike McGahey's chest, not his arm, and in any case his arm was in a natural position and the ball was struck from five yards away. That decision summed up the performance of another useless referee, but we only have ourselves to blame for the manner in which we conceded the second goal. We were actually in the ascendancy at the time, but completely switched off from a routine free kick, putting us on the back foot again just before the interval.

In the second half we simply never got going, and the confidence seemed to visibly drain from the team as the half progressed. Wycombe time-wasted and broke up the play, and there was a complete lack of quality and imagination in the display, added to a defensive nervousness. I thought the game was crying out for Jason Koumas to put his foot on the ball and show some composure and vision, and I was very surprised he was not used. The substitutions and changes of shape we did make had little positive effect, and I was unimpressed by the new lad on the left wing. I was particularly surprised that Mickey went to 4-4-2 when Wycombe had a man sent off, as I thought we would have been better off with three in midfield to allow us to retain possession, switch the play and stretch Wycombe, which we did not really do at any stage. We had a couple of opportunities, but it was a disjointed, ragged performance.

We now need 16 points from the remaining 12 games, and on current form it is difficult to see us getting them. To have any chance we need Donnelly, JMW, Thompson and Taylor available, but even they might not be enough to save us now.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A fair summary RLC of what was a very disappointing display, not helped by what must have been one of the worst refereeing performances ever at Prenton Park. But having said that this was a game we should and could have won if the team had just shown some determination and fight. We were desperately unlucky to be trailing at half time but the expected surge of passion expected in the second half just didn't happen. In fact as the second half progressed we got worse. Despite a long outstanding need for a strenthening of the midfield which for weeks now has been glaringly obvious, only now, on the day of the match, do we see such a signing, albeit for month only. The substitutions were again baffling, Gardner, the new loan signing, coming on for McGahey might have seemed a positive move when we were chasing the game but it achieved nothing. Hume for Hugill added a little bit of creativity up front but nothing which really threatened an average defence. Most baffling of all was bringing Kirby on for Jennings soon after Wycombe were reduced to 10 men. Why, oh why was Koumas, the only really creative brain in the squad left on the bench when Wycombe needed stretching. Kirby might have a bit of pace but is lacking in ability. It needed Koumas' composure and creativity to open up Wycombe.
Micky in his post match interview says he is "going to battle to save this club" and he is going "to fight until the end", that the Palios' expect this and the fans deserve this. Well he has got 12 games left to persuade the squad to do just that. But for the first time I am beginning to doubt that he can turn this round. I was pleased when his appointment was announced but since the going has got tough he seems unable to motivate the players to achieve success. I am beginning to think that not playing Koumas is evidence of a personal disagreement between the player and the manager. I cannot see any other reason for Koumas not being on the field from the start even if he is only able to last for the first 60 minutes of each game.
With York and Carlisle both opening up a 2 point gap with wins tonight (36 points apiece) and with Oxford being a further3 points better off on 39 points, it is now looking that relegation will be fought out between ourselves, Cheltenham and Hartlepools. Well Mr. Adams has got one thing right, this club does deserve better than this, much better than this.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Adams has that fire in his belly to motivate them to the end. Players look low on confidence, team is disjointed and we have a battle to survive with no one seemingly up for the fight.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've little to add to the points already made. Could understand going 5 at the back to make us hard to beat, but why McGahey ahead of Thompson? We fell asleep to gift Wycombe their second goal, having got ourselves back in the game. The second half was a disappointment, Wycombe were the better side even with 10 men. On the subs, I'd have brought Koumas on rather than Gardner, someone who's only just joined the club on loan.
This side is Micky Adams' now. They are performing worse than the team he inherited, augmented by a few loan signings. It is unacceptable.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes that 2nd half was as depressing as its been for a long time. The word clueless springs to mind - we had no idea how to open them up. Considering they were third Wycombe werent too impressive overall and it just shows you don't need lots of quality to get out of L2 - just mostly organisation and a settled side and the ability to nick a goal. Agree about the ref and their time wasting but it can't hide the fact we are in deep trouble. Its hard to believe since that great Shrewsbury win we have lost 3 in a row.

Like frenchrover last night was the first time I have seriously started worrying about successive relegations having honestly felt we would pull through. The are some similarities from last season - losing our manager, changing the side. I was suprised Micky brought in another player (Gardner) just before the match, do we really need more players or is this desperation? Palios must be fed up of getting his cheque book out.

As has been stated why Jason couldnt have been given the last 30 mins when players were getting tired was beyond me. Losing last night wasnt a total suprise but this Saturday is the biggest game for TRFC for a long time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Last night yet again proved Adams is not upto the job, the alarm bells have been ringing for weeks and nothing has been done about it and I really cant see us getting enough points to stay up.

drwhoman

I am intrigued by the issue with Koumas. The most creative player in the club and yet Micky chooses to put an honest trier like Jake Kirby on as a sub and not Jason? We know he is not completely fit and has injury issues but why is he on the bench if he is not going to be used? A new loan player who probably does not know the names of all his team mates get chosen ahead of him? Micky (and Chris Shuker) always give the impression of being tired when they are interviewed and the comments made are the usual ones a Manager spouts when things are not going well. Maybe it is just their camera manner but Micky has been around the media for a long time. I am not a fan of conspiracy theories but you do wonder with Adams/Shuker and Koumas.

Player
Manager
John King
As has been stated why Jason couldnt have been given the last 30 mins when players were getting tired was beyond me. Losing last night wasnt a total suprise but this Saturday is the biggest game for TRFC for a long time.

I think if we don't win on Saturday we are down, to be honest. We have a much tougher run in than Cheltenham who, while a very poor team, are still picking up occasional points at the moment, and it looks like a straight fight between us and them now. There is no way we are going to get 50 points, so we have to hope a relatively low points total of 45-8 is required this season, but even reaching that target might be beyond us.

My doubts about Micky have gradually grown, to the point that I do really doubt whether he knows how to turn this situation round. He is not helped at the moment by a group of players who are among the most spineless to represent the club in recent times. If we do go down, I think we can look back on Carlisle, York and Cheltenham as the matches that killed us. Those games presented a great opportunity to virtually guarantee safety, but a combination of tactical ineptitude and lack of application meant we took nothing from them. The defeats destroyed confidence and we have not recovered.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think Saturday's game will determine our fate, although another defeat would be very bad. We need to grind out some results, but like you, my confidence in Micky's ability to reverse the slump are waning.

Having seen the match highlights, their penalty was a terrible decision. Small crumb of comfort in the Rovers goal was well-worked, good cross-field ball from Laird decent hanging cross into the box from Max, good finish from Hugill-not Dugdale who was credited it at the time.