• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wycombe volume 2 (FL1)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe I should have stayed at home. It's obvious this game is not as important as the cup game. Disappointing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After the opening minutes, Rovers have been second best. Wasn’t sure about the free-kick for their first goal and RHM had been chopped down without sanction just before. Didn’t see the penalty clearly but those who did thought the correct decision.

Player
aldo
We keep getting told that the players are getting better and are adappting to league 1 . Buy the time they have the season will be over when wE the last time we won't home

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Back to NL television form. Improved a bit second half and probably deserved a goal, but can’t argue with the result.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was very disappointing far too many players were poor today and it was too easy for them really, they looked as much like scoring as we did in the second half, we could not handle Akinfenwa at all and if they play him in the cup replay I can only see them winning

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I did not think the overall performance was that bad to be honest. There was not a huge amount between the sides, but we paid for a five minute spell when we completely switched off defensively, allowing Akinfenwa a free header from a set play, without which the penalty that followed probably would not have happened.

I thought our approach play was decent up to the eighteen yard box in both halves, but the final ball was lacking. Even when we did put decent deliveries into the box they were not properly attacked, particularly from set pieces. In fairness to Wycombe, they were well drilled defensively and got in last ditch blocks on the occasions that we did get shots away.

I still think we look a better footballing side with Morris, Wilson and co. in the team and look more comfortable at this level than we did a couple of months ago. I thought the centre halves actually stood up to Akinfenwa pretty well, and the performance of Ferrier was a positive. I would guess he will start on Wednesday night.

The replay will be a tough game but Wycombe are not scintillating, and I am not despondent despite the result today.

Player
Manager
John King
Liam Ridehalgh has a suspected broken foot from a challenge that went completely unpunished by the officials. I thought the referee was absolutely useless today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After an early effort from Hepburn-Murphy, Rovers barely troubled their goal for the rest of the half, despite some fair approach play. Wycombe had a couple of good chances before the goals, but just when it looked like we’d weathered the storm, two goals conceded.

The halftime subs improved things a little, particularly Blackett-Taylor, who was the sponsors MoM despite only playing half the game. Ferrier did a lot of work outside the box and got little protection from an inconsistent referee but from that position he couldn’t be a goal threat. There were a couple of good efforts a free-kick from CBT and a point blank save from Morris late on, but a lot of long punts and when there were decent balls into the Wycombe area not properly attacked.

I thought Nelson had a good game at the back, Monthe seemed to switch off for the Akinfenwa goal though. ONIGP talked about the tactical battle between managers, Ainsworth definitely won that and Morris was snuffed out in the first half after being so influential last weekend.

Ridehalgh rumoured broken foot and Perkins still not fit, coupled with a poor game from Potter mean a lot of thinking for MM to turn the tide in the replay.

Player
ian goodison
shambles of a team selection caprice & Jennings not good enough perkins clearly unfit from the start (just what does Maddox need to do to even get on the pitch) micky clearly out thought by the Wycombe manager,did we improve 2nd half or did they take the foot of the gas? my missus would have scored with that header the marking was criminal and to think Jackson the coach was a defender

frenchrover

Player
aldo
To be honest I thought this was one of our better games, some of our football was excellent, particularly in the 2nd half, but too often broke down when approaching the opposition box. The scoreline definitely flattered Wycombe with the main difference between the two sides being their clinical finishing. It has been a feature of Wycombe's success to date to take advantage of dead ball situations just outside the opposition penalty area, clearly demonstrated by their 2 goals in the cuptie, and which they showed again today with the precision of the free kick straight to Akinfewa's head. I'm not sure Monthe could have done much to stop this such the accuracy of the cross. In effect that is the only time Akinfenwa

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
To be honest I thought this was one of our better games, some of our football was excellent, particularly in the 2nd half, but too often broke down when approaching the opposition box. The scoreline definitely flattered Wycombe with the main difference between the two sides being their clinical finishing. It has been a feature of Wycombe's success to date to take advantage of dead ball situations just outside the opposition penalty area, clearly demonstrated by their 2 goals in the cuptie, and which they showed again today with the precision of the free kick straight to Akinfewa's head. I'm not sure Monthe could have done much to stop this such the accuracy of the cross. In effect that is the only time Akinfenwa

The free kick was accurate but the problem was Akinfenwa was totally unmarked as Monthe didn't go with him and then had a free header which he buried, Akinfenwa also had a free header earlier in first half which he put straight at Davies

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Yes you are right Bigmart he did have that chance in the first half but I still feel the accuracy of the freekick for the goal was the key. I'm still convinced Monthe could have done nothing about that other than foul Akinfenwa. Overall, I think we matched Wycombe over both games and we should have no fear facing them again on Wednesday, whether home advantage will be the deciding factor is to be seen but in terms of performance over these previous two games we have done very well against the team topping the league.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it was really poor marking from Monthe for the first goal, although he a decent game generally. I am not sure Mellon was outthought tactically, given that there was little between the sides other than Wycombe's set plays, which our players will have known about.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Frustrating but the result wasn’t a massive shock. They are top of the league for a reason and have an effective way of playing. Whilst we aren’t exactly freescoring these days, they defended very well and took their chances when they came.

Monthe was decent overall but totally lost AA for their goal. You do get the impression a weakness Manny has is that he’s too laid back and not aggressive enough. When he had Steeveeeee alongside him it didn’t matter.
CBT did well when he came on and beat his man numerous times but each time the cross was blocked. I would have liked him on the right at some point as each cross was on his weaker side and Morris created little.
Their keeper was bang out of order with the abuse he gave the kop but you can understand it if it was responding to what has been alleged. Potter had a nightmare. A hand ball for the free kick and a stupid challenge for the penalty.

I’m not concerned about the defeat given yesterday’s results - but The cup game will be a massive test for us. That said, for 87 minutes or so today I thought we were well in the game.

Player
Manager
John King
Monthe was decent overall but totally lost AA for their goal. You do get the impression a weakness Manny has is that he’s too laid back and not aggressive enough.
I agree completely. I think it applies in both boxes as well. As poor as we are at defending set plays, we are equally bad at attacking balls into the box.

Morris and CBT put a number of decent deliveries into the area today and I can't remember a single one that was properly attacked by the centre halves. It makes me tear my hair out at times.

Player
ian goodison
I,ve watched their full back Jacobson on quest this season and he,s scored from free kicks & direct from corners but every one causes problems for defenders yet our corners always find their defender /goalie

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Frustrating but the result wasn’t a massive shock. They are top of the league for a reason and have an effective way of playing. Whilst we aren’t exactly freescoring these days, they defended very well and took their chances when they came.
Yes, agree with this. Whilst the first half was poor we did pick it up in the second and gave it a go with more attacking options on the field. That said, the damage had already been done in the first half and Wycombe were happy to soak up the pressure which they did very well making for a frustrating second half with plenty of possession but no real cutting edge.

@keep the faith Yeah, our corners are awful for the most part. I lost count the number we had today but they all came to nothing.

drwhoman

I see that a guy has been arrested for homophobic abuse of the Wycombe goalie. Every club has a few brainless ones unfortunately.