• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wycombe (FA Cup)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The reply is on the Wednesday 20th November.

At times we played some really good football when we got the ball down on the floor but frustratingly we nock the ball in the air too often for my liking meaning Hepburn-Murphy wasn't that effective.

Morris was outstanding and comfortably MOM for me with Ridehalgh not far behind

Player
ian goodison
thought after the first 20mins we would blow home, we started very brightly excellent tempo, thought the goal deflated us as davies could & should have saved it, after that struggled to get into the game, another sloppy goal to concede as the box was packed with our players, great bit of play from Wilson down the wing and good cross which brought us level, could & should have won the game at the death when ferrier broke only to delay the pass which should have gone to ctb instesd on danns, more confident of getting a result next week but would like to see Wilson at f/b and maybe 2 up front caprice needs dropping he,s a one trick pony and we need a decent back up keeper to put pressure on davies or take the captaincy off him, still all in all enjoyable game

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well I don't disagree with much of what was said in the other reports. I also thought it was an entertaining game and we looked so much better than against Sunderland and played some really neat football especially the first 20 minutes or so.
First question however was how full strength were Wycombe? Had they made a number of changes as I didn't think they were as good as I had expected, although they certainly went for it and also like us clearly wanted to avoid a replay?
Aside from that totally agree with RLC - their first goal was a real sickener. What the hell Davies was doing punching I have absolutely no idea. He seems terrified of catching high balls and if anything is getting worse and even less confident. He simply is a liability in that respect although his reaction saves are always terrific and once again he made a great one with 10 minutes left. I would say however his distribution was much better today playing out from the back rather than bashing it forward.
RHM had a bad day at the office - partly down to being a youngster no doubt but also the fact that Wycombe's harrying and marking was much superior to MK Dons last week who gave him so much space.
Morris I was doubtful of last season and thought MM had made a mistake signing him but fair play I was wrong and he has really upped his game even without the 2 goals. Defensively Monthe looked back to close to his best and Nelson was very solid today whilst Rides did very well again. As said above Perks and Danns were both excellent today and Wilson continues to massively impress. He is a class player and dare I say it, is/ or very soon will be too good for this level. Unusually for one so young and not particularly tall he is already very strong in possession and in the air. Finally, Connor I still feel is struggling - whether it is taking time to get up to speed or L1 is simply above his level I don't feel he is doing well enough to retain his place as he is just giving the ball away too much.
In summary, we are finally getting closer to having nearly all the first choices fit and in the last 2 games have looked so much better. Playing like this if we can sustain it and not pick up any more serious injuries I feel far far more confident we can stay up this season....

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Eight of Wycombe's starting eleven today played in their win against Sunderland, plus Akinfenwa came off the bench, so they were close to full strength.

I don't think they have got the individual quality of Ipswich / Peterborough / Sunderland, although they looked decent in the second half. A case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Eight of Wycombe's starting eleven today played in their win against Sunderland, plus Akinfenwa came off the bench, so they were close to full strength.

I don't think they have got the individual quality of Ipswich / Peterborough / Sunderland, although they looked decent in the second half. A case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
Thanks!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent game although I thought it took a bit of a lull after the early goal and took Wycombe a while to settle into the game. Second half improved. Davies made an error which cost us a goal but was otherwise solid and made a great save late on. There were some really good performances today. Morris was excellent as were Perkins, Wilson and Danns.

Apart from a couple of tricky runs from Aarons, the defence coped well. Sadly I don't think Jennings has the pace needed at this level and RHM huffed and puffed but really wasn't in the game.

Certainly some encouraging signs today and it was good to see Ferrier back on the pitch and now we have a decent squad to choose from, let's hope we can continue, push on and get some form together to push us up the table.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I enjoyed the game on Saturday and agree with most of the sentiments posted. While Scotty made a dreadful decision in punching rather than catching the ball that ultimately led to their free kick and goal, I don't think he is a liability in the air as mentioned. Personally, I think he is reasonable with high balls and would put this down as an isolated howler.

The matchday experience was a bit perplexing despite the football, though:
1) Speakers not working in the Main Stand so couldn't hear the announcer etc.
2) Shutters came down on the food bar during half time and they had to serve through the doorway
3) Man in a Poppy pantomime outfit. Really? Bizarre at best, disrespectful at worst!

Player
Manager
John King
I enjoyed the game on Saturday and agree with most of the sentiments posted. While Scotty made a dreadful decision in punching rather than catching the ball that ultimately led to their free kick and goal, I don't think he is a liability in the air as mentioned. Personally, I think he is reasonable with high balls and would put this down as an isolated howler.
Yes, I agree. I think he is a decent keeper at League One level.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Makes it more frustrating that we didn't win on Saturday, we will just have to do it the hard way and like last season win the replay

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We've not got too bad a record at Wycombe, though on current form they must be favourites.

Player
ian goodison
it wasn,t the fact that scottie decided to punch the ball rather than catching it was his position when the free kick was taken, if he had stood up he would have had a better go at catching it as he appeared flat footed

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
it wasn,t the fact that scottie decided to punch the ball rather than catching it was his position when the free kick was taken, if he had stood up he would have had a better go at catching it as he appeared flat footed

you wonder if he has a weakness there as their was a similar issue with the free kick that Sunderland scored a couple of weeks ago

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm sure he has quite a few weaknesses, but he's a Division One GK, so there will be flaws. In general he does a very good job for us.

couldn't agree more. He’s been immense in his time with us

Player
Manager
John King
There are a few players I have doubts about at this level, but Scott is not one of them to be honest.

Player
Norwood
Davis has been cracking for us over the last few years. He may have a mistake in him occasionally, but he has saved us so many times, and has made some incredible reaction saves.