• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Wrexham

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Brabin leads us to nine home defeats with that kind of financial advantage should he really be here next season ? In my view, he should not. As well as destroying promotion chances, poor home form is absolutely corrosive to supporter confidence and if Brabin stays I would imagine season ticket sales will be down next season. It is not simply the number of defeats, but the uninspiring manner of most of the home displays that has been a major concern. We have only won four games this season by more than one goal - an incredible statistic.
While I am mindful that the last time our chairman sacked the manager in a bid to improve season ticket sales (Ronnie Moore / John Barnes) it started the rot, this time I am thinking that the board might take the fans views into account. I still believe it was right to let GB see out the season, but now I don't think the club can afford to keep him for another season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You know I've said before I think we need stability and changing managers isn't going to get us that but I am disgusted by today's showing. Losing at home to local rivals is bad enough but the nature of the defeat is what really gets under my skin.

To have a chance of reaching the play offs, destiny in our own hands and they put in a lack lustre, half arsed display. I'll say again, the club is lucky to have the support they do. Supporters deserve better.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
It was a poor display today with the same old failings. Very few ideas going forward, defensive mistakes and a complete lack of pace throughout the team. I also noticed Higdon's sarcastic applause to the Kop. In fairness to him, I thought that was a bit harsh. I don't think he was any worse than most of the other players and didn't get much service.

We only have a slim chance now but somehow we have to remain positive and try and win the last 2 games.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Just to clarify, I thought the Kop's reaction to Higdon was harsh. Don't really like to see players jeered as never helps.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Higdon probably bore the brunt of the SWA frustration with the whole teams performance, not just his.

He probably thinks he should be at a higher level. All those clever headers but no one picks them up.

To some degree it boils down to people not liking the fact that we signed a player clearly not totally fit at an important part of the season, which is GBs fault.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with sparky that no one seems to anticipate higdon's lay offs, but this again boils down to what we do - or don' t do - on the training ground. Basically higdon just has not worked hard enough since coming here and supporters won't forgive that. It was not just about today's game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's not the player we need in our situation. Another of Brabins failings and yet again our top scorer cluelessly stuck out wide. Can we really put up with another season of this ?

Can't wait to play Solihull Moors next season.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
He's not the player we need in our situation. Another of Brabins failings and yet again our top scorer cluelessly stuck out wide. Can we really put up with another season of this ?

We might have too. I doubt Brabin will lose his job as our form has been good since Christmas. I'd rather see some of our youth players given a chance than sign any more has-beens.

Last edited by a moderator:

drwhoman

I can only agree with the majority of the comments above. I cannot see any sign that we might be better next season under the current Manager. I would be surprised if anyone can think of many plus points for his retention. Stability? Stability for what? Membership of the National League? This guy will not take us to a higher level. He is not good enough both tactically and terms of man management. Brabin out!

Player
Liam Palmer
Poor stuff. No energy in the first-half and then when we were thrown a lifeline and equalised, Wrexham just made two subs and won the game. When they had the ball, the pitch seemed enormous. When we had it, it seemed like a five-a-side pitch. Formation changed three times. At one point we had seven at the back and three up front. Just bizarre. Too shocked and stunned to boo at full-time.

Goodnight Vienna. See you in August. In the National League.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
A huge let down and anticlimax.
In a lot of ways that 90 mins summed up the entire season:

Early optimism as per pre season.

Undisciplined spell when we concede (equating to the bleak Oct/ Nov form)

Renewed optimism when we equalise (equating to our post Xmas form)

Ultimate failure and disappointment when their winner goes in effectively ending the season.

Eastleigh will turn us over and we'll yet again be hosting a play off party, though not our own.

Putting aside what we may consider his football failings, can anyone remember a SWA manager that attracted such disaffection/indifference on a personal level (except Barnes!).
The last few seasons have been difficult for our managers but I think generally we've warmed to them at least to a degree.
It was difficult not to like Rob Edwards as a person.... he was just out of his depth.
And latterly, Adams, though he lost the plot he was generally a likeable guy.
But GB.....I doubt I'd say hello if I bumped into him in Asda.
If he stays I think it will be his lack of any charisma or connection with the fans that will cost season ticket sales.
I've said before that MP has used the word 'accountability'. With the Mangan, Margetts issues not to mention Higdon/Fenwick maybe MP has been giving GB enough rope to hang himself.
The pro GB argument that it will promote stability if he stays doesn't hold water, most of the contracts given out were one year so MP has to ask himself where he's going to feel happier putting his money.

The game itself... First 5 we came out of the blocks OK but we should have been one down when their No 3 bulldozed his way through on a mazy run and shot narrowly wide.
Nice that Maccs got no grief for an awful mistake. The measure of him was he held his arm of apology up straight away and then continued with a succession of pressure relieving back headers to Scotty.
Mekki didn't look fit to me and whilst Higdon put a few headers in the right place, a tremendous one in first at half at back post, I agree that his work rate was lacking.
Also agree that it is wholly unacceptable to boo or synically cheer off your own players. For me, if you're going to do that you may as well sit in the away end.
Couldn't really knock the second half for the increase in effort but I'd like some stats to show which team keeps the opposition keepers kit the cleanest. We'd win that hands down.

And finally..... only two gates in League 1 bettered ours I think.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Arrived at PP with an OTT police presence suggesting we'd learned the wrong lessons from our Cheshire cousins. Bought a programme to find our chair had dredged something from a 1967 programme about how awful our fans were then and an article from Brabin which didn't mention the Welling game at all. Then there was the match...

A dismal first half, in which a McNulty error was instrumental in their goal and a deflected effort over and a Mekki run and shot just wide were the totality of Rovers' efforts on goal. It was better after the break, even before the subs were introduced, but an effort from Hughes was the only thing on target. There was another chance soon after, where the keeper was well away from his goalmouth, but it was covered and the effort went over. Think I'd have preferred to see Harris come off rather than Hughes, as he went missing a bit after the yellow card. We finally got back into it with Mekki winning a penalty converted by Norwood, but shortly after poor defending at a corner saw the visitors regain the lead and see out the game fairly comfortably.

Wrexham didn't seem that much better than us, but they played to a game plan and showed mental toughness, both things we lacked. Nobody from Rovers had a good game, Jennings, Mekki and Ihiekwe probably the pick of the bunch. McNulty was good in the air, but his normal confidence on the deck seemed to be missing.

To round off the day, an unannounced police blockade meant a detour round the back of the main stand and kop to get back to Rock Ferry station.

Very demoralised and if Brabin's in charge next season probably won't bother with a season ticket.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Going off-topic, I thought the Palios article in the programme today was weird and ill-advised. Too confrontational with the supporters following on from all of the negative noises coming out of the club during the week. As I said previously, I thought the fans were good today and stayed with the team, but Brabin has had another little dig at us in his post match interview.

This 'us and them' approach will get us nowhere. It is fine asking the fans for 100% backing, but Brabin needs to explain what he is doing to turn our home form around.

drwhoman

Fair comments Cowshed Kid but even Barnes had the excuse of lack of experience. What has really irritated me (sorry for the bad temper folks!) is that this was a must win game and, from what those who were there have said, the first half performance was poor with lack of effort shown by some players. Where was the motivation both in terms of managerial encouragement and also the fact that many of these players will be looking for a new contract soon? Maybe not with Rovers! If we stick with GB we run the risk, ironically, of becoming another Wrexham, another nearly yet so far team. How long have they been out of L2 now? As far as the digs at the supporters are concerned, they pay their hard earned and they have a right to a view. To lose nine games at home when you have a budget of over GBP1m is simply not good enough. Maybe if there was some acknowledgement of that rather than the hackneyed comments that are usually spouted after games then folk might feel a little better and be a little more forgiving.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Fair comments Cowshed Kid but even Barnes had the excuse of lack of experience. What has really irritated me (sorry for the bad temper folks!) is that this was a must win game and, from what those who were there have said, the first half performance was poor with lack of effort shown by some players. Where was the motivation both in terms of managerial encouragement and also the fact that many of these players will be looking for a new contract soon? Maybe not with Rovers! If we stick with GB we run the risk, ironically, of becoming another Wrexham, another nearly yet so far team. How long have they been out of L2 now? As far as the digs at the supporters are concerned, they pay their hard earned and they have a right to a view. To lose nine games at home when you have a budget of over GBP1m is simply not good enough. Maybe if there was some acknowledgement of that rather than the hackneyed comments that are usually spouted after games then folk might feel a little better and be a little more forgiving.
I don't think there is lack of effort from the players. It's lack of quality and fitness.

Player
Liam Palmer
Brabin should have been waving his arms around in the dressing room at 2.45pm looking for a response from his players, not doing a windmill two hours later to try to get the crowd going. Desperate stuff.

drwhoman

I understand your support for the players Carthorse but lack of fitness is an indictment of the management itself and in the first half?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Not a match day post as such but following on from earlier...
It does beggar belief for us SWA that a smaller club like Cheltenham, no disrespect to them, have geared themselves for this season so much better. How and why? MP needs to pay them a visit!
I think what's galling is that they were probably worse than us last season....marginally!
Perhaps their choice of manager?

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I understand your support for the players Carthorse but lack of fitness is an indictment of the management itself and in the first half?
Agree, management to blame (although I'm not trying to defend the players either). Poor recruitment of players. We look like a pub team. Lack of fitness shows itself from the first minute.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Cowshed Kid, it's a great comparison to make. There was one team that was probably worse than us last season and that was Cheltenham, and we were woeful.

Look at the difference this season. They are currently 23 points ahead of us. It's been deeply disappointing for most of the season and a major underachievement.

Half the players aren't up to the job and neither is the manager. I hope the club make the right choices when the season ends.