• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Watford take 3

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Morris having a good game in midfield, as most on here had been calling for means we must use some of the funds gained to get full-back cover in. Only in exceptional circumstances should Kieron be played at wing-back now.

Was a bit surprised it was Danns rather than Perkins who Gilmour replaced. Both played well but Neil seemed to have a lot more energy left.

Watford local radio thought Mullin might be offside for the winner, the highlights don’t help. All academic anyway as no VAR.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Danns had pulled up with cramp just prior to going off. I think Mellon wanted to keep Perkins on for his defensive work, rather than having two attacking midfielders in the closing stages.

Player
ian goodison
still buzzing after last night what a team performance from everyone hindsight I know but if Clarke had joined at the start of the season!!!!!! screaming at davies for their goal then produces two class saves, I,ve been critical of caprice but felt he really put a shift in also CTB who at last showed his potential and with a bit more composure could have had a hat-trick, loved clarkes attitude when going for a header then flattened their player and made it clear he won,t take any c**p, MOM for me was Clarke who seems to have steadied manne and brought an awful lot of composure to the defense, to be honest even when Watford scored I couldn,t see us losing, after last night,s game and with a couple of players brought in am feeling a bit more confident of staying up great atmosphere from both sets of supporters

Player
Manager
John King
Morris having a good game in midfield, as most on here had been calling for means we must use some of the funds gained to get full-back cover in. Only in exceptional circumstances should Kieron be played at wing-back now.
I agree about Morris, but if we have to prioritise I still think a centre forward and a more creative midfielder or wide player are needed more urgently. You can get away with mixing and matching at full back, but if you don't score enough goals you will be relegated.

We have only played Morris at wing back recently because Mellon has preferred to use Ridehalgh as a centre half in a back three. However, we could easily play Liam at wing back and bring Nelson back into the side, which allows Morris to play in his natural position, even assuming there are no new arrivals in the creative areas.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Not a weak link in that performance. Tremendous night (though not sure we'll sit in TT of upper Kop again!).
The OAPs in the team have taken some unbelievable stick in social media, as has MM for persisting with them, but what an effort from all three.
Second half of extra time and Perks sprints into position like a kid!
Equally Scottie, roasted every time he's suspected of blame but two tremendous saves at crucial times. Couldn't see their goal properly but apparently he held ( or didn't!) some blame?
Think Dannsy thought he'd blown it for us with that last minute effort - he was last to leave the pitch and rightly so, savouring the moment.
Apparently our shitty pitch is proving to be a great leveller so Man U now fancy their chances!!
Whatever happens on Sunday now it's a winner for us, similar to Spurs.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not a weak link in that performance.
Spot on! I appreciate that it is difficult to measure the level of the opposition and their commitment in comparison to a L1 team, but I cannot believe that we will get relegated if we put in that level of performance week in week out. I agree with all the positive comments made about individual players (Clarke, Danns, Monthe, Morris etc) but would like to comment on Jennings' performance last night. He seemed to play a slightly deeper role, with less responsibility to be on the shoulder of Ferrier. He played several killer passes in the first half and won a huge amount of headers in the centre of the park while putting in his typical high mileage. Yes, there were a couple of miscommunications but the most effective performance I have seen from him this season. The job of getting forward in support seemed to sit more with Danns, or at least be shared, and they both seemed to perform better for it. I'm hoping that this is another little piece added to the jigsaw.

Player
Manager
John King
Kane Wilson returns on loan until the end of the season. Very good news, as he provides a lot more than the average full back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well what can I say that has not been covered already, what a night what a performance so much effort put in fntstic.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I for one could not believe it as I followed it on my phone. We hadn't won this year and had lost our previous three home games. We have now won as many cup games as league games. It's crazy, but that's what football - especially the FA Cup - is all about.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hopefully this game will prove a turning point in the season.
Obviously, we all hope so. You'd think the win will lift the team but remember since the equally incredible win at Wycombe in the first round, we have won just once in the league. Cup success does not automatically breed league success.

Another word of warning. Remember the season we beat Everton and Southampton? We went down soon afterwards.

I am not saying we will go down. I have always said I thought we would stay up. But survival is not a given and is likely to be tough. But if we can ride out this season, the windfall money earned added to the experience gained by this squad should make next season a lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Obviously, we all hope so. You'd think the win will lift the team but remember since the equally incredible win at Wycombe in the second round, we have won just once in the league. Cup success does not automatically breed league success.

Another word of warning. Remember the season we beat Everton and Southampton? We went down soon afterwards.

I am not saying we will go down. I have always said I thought we would stay up. But survival is not a given and is likely to be tough. But if we can ride out this season, the windfall money earned added to the experience gained by this squad should make next season a lot more comfortable.
I was purely thinking about the money we will make from the United game, which allows us to strengthen the squad further when otherwise we would not be able to.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was purely thinking about the money we will make from the United game, which allows us to strengthen the squad further when otherwise we would not be able to.
RLC, I understand and was not contradicting your post. Maybe if Aldo had had the money to strengthen his side in 2001, we would have stayed up.

Player
aldo
if mp does what he did last year more money went on setting up revinue streams to help the club long run than doing stuff short fall . think with the pitch going to cost close to a million to sort it could be there where the money goes

Player
Manager
John King
I still think there will be some money available for squad strengthening AM.