• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v the Vegans

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Forest Green

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v the Vegans
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ridiculous. Forget the last game as the whole team was poor, therefore 1 poor performance constitutes a dip in form. Prior to that he was winning MOM awards and scoring crucial goals.
Drivel !!

Nobody is suggesting he is thrown on the scrapheap, merely that he is taken out of the side for a couple of games for another talented youngster. Glatzel is equally talented and was scoring goals prior to his injury, and scored again in his first game back at Salford.

It is interesting that several other posters have called for Glatzel to be restored to the side, yet you respond solely to my comment.

Player
Manager
John King
Ridiculous. Forget the last game as the whole team was poor, therefore 1 poor performance constitutes a dip in form. Prior to that he was winning MOM awards and scoring crucial goals.
And he was also poor at Crawley - assuming you actually watch the games - when the team as a whole performed well. The manager subbed him in both matches, at half time on Saturday, so I assume you believe the judgements of a serial promotion winner are equally 'ridiculous'.

Last edited:
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Sticking my head above the parapet, but I also think a “dip in form” is also a tad harsh as a descriptive.
Forget FGR as a yardstick as Hemmings, Nevitt and Jolley never got a sniff. Crawley was another performance that could hardly be described as dynamic from any particular player. I’m a big believer that players need a decent run in the team before judgements are made on form; quantifying what qualifies as a “decent run” is open to debate. I get a feeling we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one RLC :)

Player
Manager
John King
Sticking my head above the parapet, but I also think a “dip in form” is also a tad harsh as a descriptive.
Forget FGR as a yardstick as Hemmings, Nevitt and Jolley never got a sniff. Crawley was another performance that could hardly be described as dynamic from any particular player. I’m a big believer that players need a decent run in the team before judgements are made on form; quantifying what qualifies as a “decent run” is open to debate. I get a feeling we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one RLC :)
The performance was excellent at Crawley and pretty much everybody played well.

I think you are just disagreeing over semantics. His performance level has dipped in the last couple of games relative to earlier performances. I am not 'judging' him at all, in terms of longer term form or potential. I think he is excellent and has a massive part to play in the weeks ahead. But Glatzel is also excellent, and I think it might be worth giving him a game tomorrow night. He was unlucky to lose his place in the team in the first place.

My issue with the previous poster is the contemptuous way he responds to my comments, and has done for some time, but you may not have picked up on that.....

Last edited:
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Not disagreeing over semantics, just have my own perspective on the topic.
Glatzel was also being written off by some not so long ago (not necessarily on here). I agree that they’re both good players but are still raw to some degree and the more game time they get, the more they’ll improve. Therein lies the dilemma of having Hemmings and Nevitt to throw into the equation; how do you offer sufficient game time? I don’t envy Micky’s position, but it beats our previous position of having a distinct shortage of strikers.
In some ways, going back a bit, loosely reminds me of the Mullin debate; some people were very quick to judge whereas I felt he never had a consistent enough run in the team to form a realistic judgement. It’s all about opinions.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Not disagreeing over semantics, just have my own perspective on the topic.
Glatzel was also being written off by some not so long ago (not necessarily on here). I agree that they’re both good players but are still raw to some degree and the more game time they get, the more they’ll improve. Therein lies the dilemma of having Hemmings and Nevitt to throw into the equation; how do you offer sufficient game time? I don’t envy Micky’s position, but it beats our previous position of having a distinct shortage of strikers.
In some ways, going back a bit, loosely reminds me of the Mullin debate; some people were very quick to judge whereas I felt he never had a consistent enough run in the team to form a realistic judgement. It’s all about opinions.
The answer is that Jolley, Glatzel and Nevitt will all get significant game time. Which means there will be some rotation, and none of them are nailed on to start twenty games in succession.

I am not 'judging' Jolley at all, let alone writing him off. I am anticipating that he has a major part to play. I am simply suggesting Glatzel should start one game ahead of him.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
And he was also poor at Crawley - assuming you actually watch the games - when the team as a whole performed well. The manager subbed him in both matches, at half time on Saturday, so I assume you believe the judgements of a serial promotion winner are equally 'ridiculous'.
You know what they say about assume..... I am saying that he hasnt had a dip in form, and throughout the course of games / season strikers will be rotated / subbed accordingly/ Doesnt mean he is playing badly.

Not so long ago you were berating Glatzel for being too young / lightweight at this level. Things change

Player
Manager
John King
You know what they say about assume..... I am saying that he hasnt had a dip in form, and throughout the course of games / season strikers will be rotated / subbed accordingly/ Doesnt mean he is playing badly.

Not so long ago you were berating Glatzel for being too young / lightweight at this level. Things change
Hope you enjoyed Glatzel's excellent performance tonight.

Player
Manager
John King

I was berating nobody by the way. Many people were frustrated by Glatzel when he first arrived, and I respond to what is actually happening on the pitch. I was critical of academy systems that leave players unprepared for first team football, NOT the player himself.

Jolley's performances had dipped, and he was rightly replaced tonight.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'll chuck my grenade into this discussion. Ross Doohan was a young player arguably having more of a wobble than Jolley has in his recent 'dip' in form, but Micky stuck by him, even though there was an experienced keeper in Joe Murphy who'd been MoM on most of the games before his injury ready to come back into the side and the end result was that Ross grew in confidence as a result of the manager sticking by him. Given all our forwards were mediocre v Forest Green, Jolley only had one bad game where he was notably worse than his team mates at Crawley, so why didn't Micky stick by Charlie the way he did with Ross?

Player
Manager
John King
I'll chuck my grenade into this discussion. Ross Doohan was a young player arguably having more of a wobble than Jolley has in his recent 'dip' in form, but Micky stuck by him, even though there was an experienced keeper in Joe Murphy who'd been MoM on most of the games before his injury ready to come back into the side and the end result was that Ross grew in confidence as a result of the manager sticking by him. Given all our forwards were mediocre v Forest Green, Jolley only had one bad game where he was notably worse than his team mates at Crawley, so why didn't Micky stick by Charlie the way he did with Ross?
Probably because Glatzel is equally talented and at a similar stage of development, and Mellon has to choose between the two players. Glatzel had done nothing wrong prior to getting injured, so would not his confidence be equally affected by being left out ?

I think there was a tacit understanding with the keepers that Doohan would be the number one and Murphy would be understudy, unless Doohan proved to be really out of his depth. I am not even convinced Murphy wants to play twice a week at his age.

Player
aldo
I would love it if rovers were to get Glatzel on a Perm ok it most prob out of our LG but you Never know

Player
aldo
he has grown up so much over the last few months and if he can stay Injury-free he will be a great player if he can and will score goals

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I am not even convinced Murphy wants to play twice a week at his age.
He doesn't, he pretty much said that when he joined last season and ended up playing more games than he really wanted to due to Scotties unfortunate injury.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I did, I rate Glatzel and was saying he should be playing when you were dismissing him as being too lightweight for mens football.
Good, it seems my pre-match comments were not ridiculous after all. I can't say I remember you championing Glatzel back in August, and it is a strange claim given that it was apparently 'ridiculous' that he should start ahead of Jolley last night.

I did not dismiss him. I raised concerns about his readiness for professional football, due to the nature of the EPL academy system. It has taken him several months to adapt to the men's game, but his technique was obvious, as I commented at the time.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is always going to take EPL2 players time to adjust, particularly to EFL2. The whole U23 set-up appears to be geared to the finer skills of the game, and quite rightly so, since some of those guys are potentially our national team of the future. It is probably an easier transition from EPL2 to the Championship and there are a lot of loanees there. Adjusting to the increased physicality of EFL2 and the "different" wavelength of players who may not have been privileged enough to have had the same "pure" footballing induction, is a significant challenge. Glatzel initially looked like a boy playing in a man's game, but massive credit to both him and the coaching staff that he has adjusted so quickly, especially bearing in mind the disruption of injury and covid. In fact the development of him, Jolley and Nevitt has been beyond what anybody (well me, anyway) could have anticipated at the start of the season. We seem to have moved from 3 inexperienced "punts" to 3 genuinely exciting prospects deservedly fighting for starting berths in a very short space of time. Somebody is doing something right!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Purely on Glatzel, I had my reservations at the start and to be fair it seemed the manager might have too. However recall an interview with Micky around the time Paul had forced his way back into the first team and the gist was that he was finishing training black and blue as they tried to prepare him for football at L2 level. He was prepared to put his body on the line to be able to deal with what was thrown at him. He does look stronger, less easily brushed off the ball now. Premier League football youngsters are perceived as having a cosseted existence and that is sometimes deserved. However this lad has already come back from serious injury and undoubtedly shown some backbone during his spell with us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have 18 games to play in 13 weeks between now and the end of the season so there will be plenty of chances for a lot of the squad especially when you factor on injury (2 last night) and suspension.

Player
ian goodison
said on the Stevenage thread he was my MOM if only for the battering he took from their defenders yet never stopped looking for the ball and certainly NEVER went missing, love the lad