• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v the Vegans

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Forest Green

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v the Vegans
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 29, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
Well that was worth the wait, so disappointing we got hammered by the better team and Rovers were just plain and simple poor, and yes it always with a full stadium what is it with this club and a Full PP the players just can,t handle it, Fair play and I hate to say it to forest they outplayed us all over the park

Player
aldo
also, a round of applause should go to the FKN Morons who got Kicked out of the Kop I hope they are banned for life just plain braindead, also what were the stewards doing for the same bottle to be thrown on 3 times, just bloody thick and stupid

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
also, a round of applause should go to the FKN Morons who got Kicked out of the Kop I hope they are banned for life just plain braindead, also what were the stewards doing for the same bottle to be thrown on 3 times, just bloody thick and stupid
Some of our 'supporters' are an embarrassment. On the playing side, my concern is the home games against our rivals. It's all very well grinding out decent results on the road - as we've done at FGR, Swindon, Port Vale, Harrogate and Exeter - but we've got to be beating our rivals in the return games at PP. Yet, even before today Newport, Northampton and Sutton have come and taken 3 points at our place. The highest placed team we've beaten at home are Salford and they are 10th. The home games against Mansfield, Vale, Swindon and Exeter will be pivotal

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Hemmings is a good player and needs to be given more than a couple of games to show his worth. It was hardly the easiest afternoon for him to show what he is about, as the service to him was extremely poor most of the time.

He actually had a better game than Jolley, who struggled this afternoon and is having a dip in form.
A dip in form?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've had the chance to read and reflect on all the comments on here and also looked at the footage of all the Forest Green goals. Here's my thoughts;

Defensively we were awful today, not just Knight-Percival. Both first half goals looked preventable, no marking or challenge on the scorer for the first goal, after Wilson skinned Macdonald and put a decent ball in. When Forest Green keep the ball in after we'd tried to put it out for a corner on our right, they keep it in and the defence switch off as Matt puts it away. There was also the possible penalty when think it was NKP though might have been Hemmings seemed to be juggling the ball on the line, looked like the liner was going to flag for a penalty but gave a corner and one very good last ditch challenge by NKP when it was 0-1. While we might have cleared our lines better for the second half goals, the Moore-Taylor third was perfectly placed and Doohan didn't look well-sighted for the fourth. While I don't think Doohan was at fault for any of the goals, his distribution was poor and he missed a couple of opportunities to bowl the ball out early and give Forest Green something different to think about. Davies might have made a difference, but not convinced his absence was the game-changer here.

Agreed that Spearing and O'Connor were overrun at times in midfield and it's a game where the height and more attacking play of Foley might have been useful. Morris had a good game, kept battling and his early cross-come-shot caused their keeper some problem. McPake, not sure, there didn't seem to be much end product to his moves in this game, though he didn't go missing and kept offering himself as an option. It was telling that Hawkes came closest to getting a goal for Rovers with a long range effort tipped away by the keeper. Up front the forwards were feeding on scraps, so it's hard to be critical of any of them. However, I do share some of the reservations about Hemmings; while it's early days and he works hard, so far he doesn't really seem to have gone anywhere near scoring, though his pressing work helped create Jolley's first v Rochdale. I was surprised Glatzel didn't get any time at all today, he seemed like a more obvious replacement for Jolley than Nevitt.

MoM Kieron Morris

Stevenage up next, have turned a corner form-wise under new manager Paul Tisdale and they helped derail our promotion bid last season with a win at PP. No easy quick fix there.

drwhoman

They need to use Glatzel. From afar he seems a more rounded player than Jolley or Nevitt. As others have said he will offer more to Hemmings.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An honest, but upbeat interview from Micky. It's a shame that we couldn't deliver in front of 10,924 fans - over 10,000 in the home stands. I hope we haven't lost the extra ones and they will be back before the end of the season or perhaps when we are in League One, where we belong.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Sadly predictable - our great run had to come to an end at some time but as I feared on here before the game in front of a sell out crowd. That is disappointing. However FGR will be going up as Champions and realistically we were not going to catch them so critical we immediately focus on Tuesday and Saturday. Just hope the size of the defeat does not affect the players mentally.
Sounds like we were second best all over the park and deserved nothing from the game but clearly the absence of Davies would not have helped.
Surprised that Nevitt came on rather than Glatzel - thought he would have been a better bet but wouldn't have made any difference to the result so maybe giving him a couple of extra days to fully recover from COVID before Tuesday when I would hope MM will start him as Jolley likely needs a rest to reset.
Hopefully just a blip and we can return to winning ways on Tuesday!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You cannot win them all and there will be off days. It's a disappoitment that it had to be against FGR (our biggest game and attendance) for sure but I like that Micky takes it in his stride and never get's carried away. He believes in his players and we'll be back. Regarding team selection, missing players etc i don't think it really mattered here. Davies, Glatzel, KP whatever.. we were second best, the performance was not up to stratch, we go again Tues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with BBTC that it would be nice to keep some of the extra fans that came (but none of the chavs in the kop who just came to cause trouble). There was this one clown who was just screaming abuse when they took corners in the first half. I saw him at half time with a beer and he looked like a psycho. Also so many lads clearly underage drinking beer in the kop. Maybe I’m a bit grumpy still after the result but don’t want any more of that.

As ADD says you just hope the nature of the result doesn’t cause any longer term issues. A narrow defeat wouldn’t have been too bad but a bit of a hammering may impact confidence. That said having some much experience will help as Spearing etc will have seen it all before. It’s a 46 game season so we move on

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
What a shame!
The idiots in the kop the lack of stewards and police watching!
And the kids were ejected not arrested I was high enough main stand to see!

We were well and truly battered, not just by a better team, tactically, desire, effort, and as well as an attacking performance, not seen for a while at PP! Defensive, midfield and they upset us from the start to the finish!
More options with the ball, more resilient when without the ball, the wind affected us, not them!
The number of times their wing backs got behind our full backs and got decent balls in. And it was no surprise when they went ahead. And the second before half time killed us off!
I don't believe any line up of ours, would have altered the final outcome, on the day they were head and shoulders above us!

The one thing I noticed about FGR, from even before the game was they push their width high up the pitch and feed the strikers. But for some reason we never adapted and couldn't stop the crosses! And you could here the experts in the stand shouting to stop the crosses, but it never happened, the count as a kid to stop the ball into the box came rushing back!
Kane Wilson, came back to repay us. Stevens and Matt best us up and The number 22, for them were excellent!

Hopefully, it was just one of those days and we can do to swindle, what FGR did to us!

We are still in it!
Highlight Scotty Davis's farewell to the SWA!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think our lack of CB options cost us when we matched them with 3-5-2 but had foley and Davies missing. Cogley is a born wingback with his engine but had to play right side of the three CBs and Morris as we’ve seen before is not a right wing back. Kane Wilson was always good for us but injured too often. Hopefully davies and foley are fit soon as with some tough fixtures in feb and march I’m not hopeful that we’ll keep many clean sheets with NKP

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think our lack of CB options cost us when we matched them with 3-5-2 but had foley and Davies missing. Cooley is a born wingback with his engine but had to play right side of the three CBs and Morris as we’ve seen before is not a right wing back. Kane Wilson was always good for us but injured too often. Hopefully davies and foley are fit soon as with some tough fixtures in feb and march I’m not hopeful that we’ll keep many clean sheets with NKP
Yes, and we also ended up playing KP on the left of the three centre backs, where he is much worse than when he is playing in a two man central defence.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think our lack of CB options cost us when we matched them with 3-5-2 but had foley and Davies missing. Cogley is a born wingback with his engine but had to play right side of the three CBs and Morris as we’ve seen before is not a right wing back. Kane Wilson was always good for us but injured too often. Hopefully davies and foley are fit soon as with some tough fixtures in feb and march I’m not hopeful that we’ll keep many clean sheets with NKP
I thought Morris was just about our best player yesterday, not though that's a high bar to clear. He got a few balls into their box, made some challenges and some of our better passing moves around their box involved him. Saw some stat about the Rochdale game, where Kieron had made the most successful challenges that weekend in L2. Agree that Cogley is better suited to the wing-back role than Macdonald, so perhaps an argument for switching Kieron to the left and using Calum as left-sided central defender.

Player
aldo
Nevitt was loads Better than Jolly was today, at least he chased and made them think a little just so let down by the team after sooooooooo long not seeing the footie, let,s put it this way not many of the 5000 fans who come when it suites them won't be at pp on Tuesday. and as I am working you watch they will win 3-0 just my luck

Player
aldo
one of the main things I had seen is having two defensive center mids we are not going to have much feed for the forwards we need the two wingers doing their stuff with Morris just behind the forwards, just might thinking, the way had both there lads pushing up tore our midfield and defence apart,

Player
aldo
two were arrested in the ground yesterday, and as mark says they will be banned, and good riddance to them, and the others will get found out and banned too,