• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v the shrews

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed chaps. You can see we are lacking quality in quite a few areas. Shrewsbury were neat and tidy but pretty average. They passed it around well, something we could not do, defended well although not hard against Payne and Mullin and midfield were fairly comfortable as was their keeper.

We struggled to do the simple stuff today, Passing was generally poor, Scotty's kicking and throwing wasn't great, discipline bad again, no real tactic other than to punt it upfield giving Payne and Mullin not much hope.

Credit has to be given for effort in the second half with 10 men and keeping the scoreline down.

If we can manage to survive this season I will be very happy indeed on course for some restructuring in the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I feared this game might prove a bridge too far, with all the injuries and sadly so it was. With Danns absent next weekend, plus Jennings banned, it looks like Rovers will be short of bodies in midfield. Wonder when Perkins might return. Was the Potter substitution tactical or through injury/exhaustion? It doesn’t sound like Gilmour had much impact when he came on?

Player
aldo
if things don.t improve soon we will soon be in the bottom 3 . the last thing we need now is Danns not being around for some poxy international games . . whats bugging me is the amount of red cards and pens we are giving away its mad and the MANAGER needs to sort it out . phew rant over

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I feared this game might prove a bridge too far, with all the injuries and sadly so it was. With Danns absent next weekend, plus Jennings banned, it looks like Rovers will be short of bodies in midfield. Wonder when Perkins might return. Was the Potter substitution tactical or through injury/exhaustion? It doesn’t sound like Gilmour had much impact when he came on?

I’m guessing potter was tactical Boz as he didn’t look injured and we needed to change things to try and get something from the game.

Gilmour did ok. Worked hard and knitted play together but it’s creativity we lack which is why I was disappointed Hepburn Murphy and Blackett Taylor came on so late. Mullin looked exhausted late on

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Will Jennings be banned next Sunday or will he miss the farcical game on Tuesday night ? Hopefully the latter.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Will Jennings be banned next Sunday or will he miss the farcical game on Tuesday night ? Hopefully the latter.
Well, if he's banned for Tuesday that will be ironic as he might not have played anyway. It would be one good thing about this competition.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Any idea when Ferrier is likely to return as we need some creativity up top?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Any idea when Ferrier is likely to return as we need some creativity up top?

He’s still a good few weeks away Ian. I was thinking about the injury list before. It’s crazy we’re nissing 4 centre halves: Ellis, Nelson, Ray and Gumbs. Altho Rides did ok yesterday actually as did Manny. Our problems are at the other end of the pitch

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder if it is time for Hepburn-Murphy to be given a run ? Mullin has been poor for a few games now and we need more pace and movement up front.

It will be interesting to see how RHM does on Tuesday, assuming he plays.

Although the makeshift back four did ok yesterday, we still have a major problem in always conceding the first goal in games. Unless we can actually take the lead in a match we are always going to face an uphill battle, no matter how spirited we are.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unless we can actually take the lead in a match we are always going to face an uphill battle, no matter how spirited we are.
At least this season we have not lost a match from a winning position ;) . But then, apart from Bolton, we have never taken the lead until the 96th minute ;) .

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A disappointing performance against a fairly average side, the passing was very poor throughout the game and we just couldn't build up much pressure, their keeper only had 2 difficult saves to make from Payne in the first half and Danns at the end, the injuries are taking their toll and we need players back quickly

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wonder if it is time for Hepburn-Murphy to be given a run ? Mullin has been poor for a few games now and we need more pace and movement up front.

It will be interesting to see how RHM does on Tuesday, assuming he plays.

Although the makeshift back four did ok yesterday, we still have a major problem in always conceding the first goal in games. Unless we can actually take the lead in a match we are always going to face an uphill battle, no matter how spirited we are.
Is he allowed to play against his parent club?
Think we've got to play four regulars in this game, so Mullin would be one I would pick,if his impact remains minimal, then RHM can feature next weekend. Would be looking to give starts to Pilling, Gilmour, Blackett-Taylor/Walker-Rice, Spellmanand Borthwick-Jackson.

Having caught the highlights, the second YC for Jennings is very harsh and the initial foul by the Shrews player went unpunished. Poor defending for the goal.

Player
Manager
John King
Is he allowed to play against his parent club?
Now that you mention it, probably not.

Because of the injury crisis quite a few regulars - Manny, Ridehalgh, Caprice, Banks / Potter - will have to play on Tuesday, unfortunately.

Player
Manager
John King
Quite a strong line up tonight (did not think it was worth starting a new thread) with Ray returning. Starts for Pilling, Ponticelli, Gilmour, Blackett-Taylor and Borthwick-Jackson.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jennings’ ban doesn’t kick in for this one, sadly. Hopefully there will be one or two performances to give Micky something to think about in a positive way. You at the game, RLC?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have ten players out injured and another ineligible, so everyone else in the first-team squad is playing or on the bench apart from Ollie Banks. Even with that, we have three youngsters on the bench. I don't care what the score is, I just hope we get no more injuries or suspensions.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An equaliser by George Ray after just 14 minutes. After 13 games, it's our earliest goal of the season by far.