• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v the shrews

Player
aldo
lets just start with this a young rovers fan has passed away . scotty has said lets stand up and show our respect on the 23rd min on saturday . i will be there at last . and will be standing . i hope scotty gets in the boys ears and uses it to motivate the boys to a good score .im thinking are best win yet 3-1 or 3-0

drwhoman

No sympathy from me. They were very poor. BTW, I see Danns is off to play for Guyana this month.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Totally off topic but the relevant thread is closed, what do we think about last night's result at White Hart Lane? While I usually wish English clubs well in Europe, I had more than a bit of schadenfreude. Now Spurs fans know how it feels to concede seven goals at home. ;)
They lost to Colchester last week as well. If we played them now, I don't think we would be smashed for seven.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tricky game this, we could do with a win but I think a draw 1 1 with a crowd of around 6500

Player
Manager
John King
I think this is a game we need to take something from, but not a genuine 'must win', unlike the Southend match in a couple of weeks.

Shrewsbury have got a decent squad and seem a solid outfit, probably similar to Burton in standard. They have attacking threats in alleged Rovers target Callum Lang, the veteran Steve Morison and ex-Dagenham striker Okenabirhie. There are also a couple of ex-Rovers in their ranks: Joe Murphy and Ollie Norburn, who has an impressive goals record from midfield at this level.

Our injury woes continue with Ray still out and Sid Nelson a doubtful starter. I think Micky will stick with the 532 if possible, with Ridehalgh again used as an emergency centre back if necessary.

I tend to agree with Mart that a draw seems likely. However, with an incredibly tough run of away fixtures coming up, we could do with three points.

I think the gate will be in the region of 6,500 - 7,000, with 800 - 1,000 from Shropshire.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Missing this one. Any injury updates and has it been clarified why Borthwick-Jackson was missing last weekend? Could be very stretched unless any of the recent absentees are returning. I’d go with a top end of 6k turnout but think we might fall short on the pitch.

Player
Manager
John King
Borthwick Jackson is just of favour I think. No mention of an injury. Potter fit to play but Ray definitely out and Nelson doubtful.

Player
aldo
with 6100 pre sales thats good when you think we are at the wrong end of the table . come on lads put on a good show the public are backing the team .and follow them in big numbers . if we get moving up the table i can see the numbers realy moving upwards . so come on lets be positive lets roar the boys on we will beat the shrews

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
This was one of the first fixtures I was looking out for and I'm in Benidorm ☹️
This will be a tough one. Bit like us, they can be great but throw in a stinker every now and then.
If offered a point now I'd take it.
Loads of "respect" handshakes here when my SWA tattoo seen which has been nice.
No Notlob or Shakers yet though!

Player
Manager
John King
Nelson and Ray both out. Looks like Monthe and Rides are the centre backs, which is not ideal.

Player
aldo
piss poor rovers again can we ever get a first goal or a clean sheet . the investors must be wondering what they are buying into

Player
Manager
John King
A pretty disjointed performance.

I thought we started the first half brightly for ten minutes or so, but Shrewsbury gradually got control in midfield and the goal was not a surprise when it came. The absence of Nelson probably played a part, as Lang found himself unmarked in the left centre back position for the second time in a few minutes, although a lack of pressure on the ball in midfield was also a problem. In possession of the ball I thought we were sloppy for the remainder of the half, with possession given away far too cheaply in midfield. The second booking for Jennings was harsh but was indicative of our wider problems, and his own struggles at times this season: his first touch was poor, he did not have a picture of what was around him, and he lunged into a tackle to tray and retrieve a ball he had lost.

To give the players some credit, we regrouped after half time and did well to stay in the game with ten men: for the first ten to fifteen minutes of the half I thought we played some decent stuff, and genuinely looked like we might get back in the match. However, the substitutions, whether enforced or not, seemed to disrupt us, and we lost shape in midfield in the absence of Potter. Shrewsbury were far from scintillating, but had a degree of control in midfield that ultimately won them the match.

Individually, I thought Potter, Morris, Monthe and Ridehalgh had decent games and Payne was the better of the two strikers, with a couple of decent efforts on goal. However, we desperately need to get some of the senior injured players back, and doubts about the wider quality of the squad remain in a number of areas.

Not a catastrophe, as we are still outside the bottom three, but this season will surely be a long old slog.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well that was pretty poor. Only 1-0 but we were toothless and the shrews deserved the win. Scottie busy all game whereas their keeper did nothing except saving from Danns late on.

I didn’t like the team with Jennings recalled. Too slow in the middle with no pace and a lack of creativity. The sending off was harsh but came from Connor dwelling on the ball and losing possession. We worked hard but as I say, no creativity against a well drilled but average opponent. Most frustrating was the free kick at the end. Banks off but surely Mullin or Rides we’re going to take it. Up stepped caprice and it sailed into the kop.

Massive queues too with only 2 of 7 kop turnstiles open on borough road. A bad day all round. Agree with manny as MOM as no one else deserved it. Caprice did ok but I lost count the amount of times he couldn’t stop crosses coming in, indeed that’s where their goal came from.

Hepburn Murphy or Blackett Taylor should have started to give us some flair and pace. Especially at home

Player
Manager
John King
Caprice did ok but I lost count the amount of times he couldn’t stop crosses coming in, indeed that’s where their goal came from.
I think there are a few players really struggling to cope with the higher standard that won't make it in the long term. We just don't have the quality this season and we have to hope we can (somehow) scrape survival.

One positive today was a good crowd of 7,300.

Last edited: