• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v the reds

Player
aldo
over 12000 tickets sold all the monies are going to rovers its gonna be a sell out around £300k in the bank . i dont like the game .but fair to Liverpool for giving rovers there ticket money . it all helps . lets hope for a competitive game and a good show from the mighty whites

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am dreading the occasion, but looking forward to seeing the new signings. Hopefully there will be a reasonable number of Rovers fans in the Cowshed.

drwhoman

It will be a good earner although a bit of a loosener for both teams. A number of the Liverpool first team will be absent given the Copa America and the African Cup. Get the cash in the Bank and then we can concentrate on the serious stuff!

Player
aldo
less than 2000 left who cares if its full of plastic reds money in the bank we need to get the blues on bored and do the same with them

Player
aldo
800 tickets left gonna be a great atmosphere . also gonna be good to get pp full to the rafters.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I shudder to think.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mullin starts; no Payne, presume the injury which kept him out at Livingstone persists. Return of Scott Davies in goal. Ray starts ahead of Nelson alongside Monthe, Blackett-Taylor also starts.

Player
aldo
300k in the bank who cares if its full of reds .. its the money we wont and its fitness for the lads . and building up to the first game of the season . with ten subs would imagine a whole second half change would think scottie would play whole game

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Over in Liverpool for a few beers to avoid it all and it's on three screens in Excelsior!
Barmaid gave a subdued jump for joy when goal disallowed.
Blow the whistle, hand over the dosh.
Thank you.

Player
Manager
John King
Despite the scoreline, I thought the first half tonight was encouraging, the best we have played in this fixture. The gulf between the two sides was nowhere near as big as three or four years ago, and we genuinely caused them problems with some sharp passing and movement. The second half was a bit of a non-event with a less balanced team, but the first forty five gives us reason for optimism.

Regarding the newcomers, I thought Blackett-Taylor was outstanding and deservedly won man of the match. He was bright and energetic and had several great runs. Ray was solid at centre half, Woods and Potter both tidy in possession, Payne anonymous, hopefully because of his injury.

Of the existing players, Monthe was excellent and Perkins, Caprice and Davies all had good games. Mullin led the line really well on his own in the first period and caused Gomes some trouble. Banks was his usual self, some great passing and some sloppy moments. Walker-Rice did well and was unlucky to have a good goal disallowed.

It will be interesting to see how we get on against Stoke.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Usual depressing affair but some encouraging performances as highlighted above.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Only able to watch a few minutes of the game on various feeds so thanks for all the comments above!
From what little I did see however Morris looked far off the pace. and was caught in possession several times.
Re Walker - Rice I saw him at Northwich last year and thought he had great potential. Pleased to hear from RLC he did well and I hope MM gives him more chances in pre season to stake a claim for at least consideration for a squad place...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
This is my first post on this forum as I have generally avoided social media. Have been reading your posts for a couple of seasons with interest. Been a Rovers supporter since the mid-70s and, like many of you, have lived through the ups and downs and ups and downs and ups (in that order) over the past 40+ years. Despite the unflattering scoreline, there were a number of positives from yesterday's game, the main one being the performance of the youngsters. I was really impressed with the performance of Blackett-Taylor, Ponticelli, Walker-Rice and Gilmour and really hope that Micky gives them as much game time as possible early in the season to see what they can do. There seems to have been some negativity on other forums (what a surprise) to Ponticelli's addition to the squad as another upfront striker but I thought he looked really comfortable yesterday on the right wing and might surprise many. Manny was Manny, as imperial as ever. Ishmael was a handful, a big physical presence. And Mullin clearly has a nose for goal and should score a few this season as possibly the first-choice striker. He needs to be given his chance, think he deserves it. On the negative side, thought Rides and Caprice went missing for several of the goals (nothing new there) and we will probably be punished if we don't strengthen those full-back positions before the transfer window closes. Banks committed too many fouls in dangerous areas, and his passing was below his high standards. Perkins and Morris were generally too slow on the ball and outclassed. And I'm not really sure if Payne touched the ball in his 45-minute contribution... but we will see what he can do over the next few weeks. There's always that feeling of concern when you get hit for six but there are another three weeks before the season starts for Micky and Jacko to work out the best team formations. I've been a White through and through for all these years and understand the ill-feeling felt by some fans towards this fixture. But the funds raised last night probably equate to about 10% of our annual player budget and we should never scoff at that. Anyway, I've probably scribbled far too much in this first post so I better sign off now!

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that the full backs were poor defensively for several of the goals, but I am not sure we can single them out when we were playing high class opposition. Would they really be stretched to anything like that extent against a League One side ?

I thought Caprice had a really good game overall, particularly in the first half.