• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v the gas

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree, and our "never say die attitude" was being widely lauded until a couple of weeks ago! I'm tempted to start limiting some of the fan reaction I read, which is difficult when my natural inclination is to absorb all things Tranmere. The truth is that there are plenty of folk out there hiding behind keyboards trying to be provocative to a captive audience. Naturally, they breed when times are tough.
I agree completely. Some perverse people delight in situations like this.

Player
Manager
John King
Wonder if Mellon would be interested in the Blackpool job, Simon Grayson sacked today.

micky will always be a hero to me. But some of his decisions are downright baffling. Last night we needed to get someone like Danns on coz Woodward and McCullough couldn’t create anything. We need wins and need to start taking a few risks and go for it. These rumours about falling out with the squad are just that - rumours. Apparently Mullins dad was spouting stuff in the tent after Saturday. Lots of players won’t like the manager if they aren’t playing but you can imagine Micky being very stubborn

but he won’t want a relegation on his CV. That’s probably one reason why he left Shrewsbury and maybe thought he’d taken them as far as he could, without a massive investment. He may think the same about Us...
I think when you play 442 and you are a struggling side with a poor defensive record, it is sensible to play with two holding midfielders. The reality is, we need more from the wide players in that system, particularly Morris who is really struggling for form at the moment.

If we set up in a 442 with an attacking midfielder who is 38 years old, we could easily get picked off by the opposition. Our defence is not solid enough to go gung ho at this level, even against average teams (particularly in the absence of Clarke).

It is easy to criticise Mellon for a lack of positivity, but we are simply not good enough to open up against teams. I don't think he is a negative manager by nature.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree we can’t go gung ho but sooner or later we need to improve our chances of getting wins and if thats takings risks then we’ll have to

Player
Manager
John King
I would say playing 442 with two wingers is taking a risk, to be honest.

Player
aldo
sorry 4 not posting much the last few days but real busy at the moment . its quite easy to have a go but its so frustrating 4 all of us we have been spoilt the last few years . and its hard to see the team not performing or even showing up some times we just need to get the season out of the way and move on in lg 1 or more than likley lg 2 but lets hope the rebuild properly and with quality

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Wonder if Mellon would be interested in the Blackpool job, Simon Grayson sacked today.

micky will always be a hero to me. But some of his decisions are downright baffling. Last night we needed to get someone like Danns on coz Woodward and McCullough couldn’t create anything. We need wins and need to start taking a few risks and go for it. These rumours about falling out with the squad are just that - rumours. Apparently Mullins dad was spouting stuff in the tent after Saturday. Lots of players won’t like the manager if they aren’t playing but you can imagine Micky being very stubborn

but he won’t want a relegation on his CV. That’s probably one reason why he left Shrewsbury and maybe thought he’d taken them as far as he could, without a massive investment. He may think the same about Us...
I agree we need creativity in centre mid Sparky, but given the fragility of the defence we need McCulloch sitting in there and probably need Woodyard riding shotgun as well. So why can't we have three in there with say either one of Danns, Gilmour or Banks providing creativity.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Suspect Mullin’s glad to have dropped a division judging by his upbeat tweet last night!

Good win last night 3 in a row! Buzzing to get my 1st goal for @CambridgeUtdFC too!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Suspect Mullin’s glad to have dropped a division judging by his upbeat tweet last night!

Good win last night 3 in a row! Buzzing to get my 1st goal for @CambridgeUtdFC too!
I hope that he continues to do well
there. Whatever his level is, Paul Mullin never lacked for effort in a Rovers shirt

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky was given a contract extension by the Palioi during last season prior to the promotion. We’ll never know if it was signed with the expectation of consolidation in L2 rather than the surprise promotion. There seems to be something in the Micky to other clubs rumours over last summer, though can only speculate on whether this was a reaction to our likely L1 budget or wanting a different challenge and whether there is anything in the suggested disconnect between the Chair and manager. Micky may be interested in the Blackpool job, but given his limited history at L1 level, does not seem like an obvious appointment from their perspective.

While I don’t think Micky’s long-term judgement on players is flawed [can’t think of any that he’s willingly let go, who’ve gone on to prove that wrong], it does seem that when players fall out of favour, there is a certain stubbornness from the manager in keeping them out of the picture. Thinking of Payne, Nelson Gilmour currently here. We’ve got an average sized squad but don’t make full use of it and the reluctance to use all the subs like on Tuesday, when it was worth trying something different puzzles.

In terms of formation, if we opt for a 3 man midfield as Higgy suggests, then who do we play up front? CBT with a pair of strikers could work, unsure Morris would function in such an advanced role, using the trio of strikers has been tried and failed, but Connor Jennings could play in a 3. My concern with having McCullough and Woodyard as regulars in a 3 man midfield would be the attack would have to be mainly channeled through the third player given the defensive mindset of that pair.