• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v the gas

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tweet from Nicola saying not expecting any issues with getting the game on tonight. Won’t be able to make myself but hopefully will allay fears of those planning to go. Though the weather is so unpredictable atm.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Tweet from Nicola saying not expecting any issues with getting the game on tonight. Won’t be able to make myself but hopefully will allay fears of those planning to go. Though the weather is so unpredictable atm.
Thanks Boz.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That’s good news and I don’t think there will be any rain so should be good to go!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It’s only the wind that could be an issue. Can’t see much flowing football being on show - especially on that pitch!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ridehalgh and Caprice in for the injured Woods and Wilson, otherwise unchanged. Thought Payne might have made the bench against his old club with a point to prove, he’s really out of favour.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Attendance could be interesting tonight. Josh Ginnelly a Sub for Bristol

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounded like we were under the cosh early on but have got back into the game.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Well Micky got the clean sheet he obsesses about... despite another injury in defence...
Must say I did find it a little odd in the pre-match interview that Phil didn’t question Micky if we’re also working on attacking play & set pieces as this seems to be a bit of a lost art...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An improved performance but our lack of confidence in the final third is really evident.

In the first quarter of an hour we were all over the place defensively, with Ray having a torrid time. Against better opposition we could have found ourselves a couple of goals down, but Ray's injury saved us. After he was replaced by Nelson the back four settled down and we were well in the game from that point onwards. In the first twenty minutes of the second half in particular we had them under the cosh, but when we got into good positions there was a lack of conviction in our final ball and finishing. We deserved a point, but the opposition had the clearer chances.

I thought McCullough had a great game protecting the back four, and Ridehalgh was really solid at left back. Caprice did ok after a shaky start. Cook led the line well, but looked knackered after sixty minutes. CBT was lively again. Ray really is a liability and I much prefer Nelson, who was solid when he came on.

Wimbledon did not win and have two tough away games coming up, so we just have to keep plugging away and hope we can narrow the gap.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Poor quality match with two poor quality teams. Chances for both teams but they missed a great chance late on in the game putting it wide. We are still creating very little real chances though and I would be amazed if we survived given our goal scoring record as of late. Six games without a goal now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As a spectacle it was fairly poor. I thought they were the better side for opening 15 mins and the last 15 mins with little between the sides in the middle. Ultimately that team didn’t have enough creativity. Apart from CBT who is a teenager still and inconsistent, Morris was awful and Woodward and McCullough don’t have a creative bone in their body. Although Luke was MOM for me.

as RLC says cook hardly moved in the last half an hour and we were lucky not to lose with Bristol hitting the bar and missing a one on one in the last minute.

The second half was the coldest I’ve felt for many years. I don’t want to repeat myself but despite a squad high in numbers e. 6 centre halves, 6 centre mids, we don’t have enough creativity. 6 games without a goal says it all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While a point is better than none, not really enough against a struggling opponent, who sounded more likely to grab the win.

Was Ray really that bad? Suggestion elsewhere that he was doing quite well until his injury and I’m no great admirer.

It sounded like Vaughan was more involved than previous games, so a bit surprised he was taken off. Maybe an argument for replacing with a similar type of player; Jennings being closest from the subs. When we’ve got two deep-sitting midfielders in Woodyard and McCullough, should Micky have looked at using his final sub by bringing on a more attacking midfielder Gilmour/Jennings to try and win the game?

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
& I told everyone in work to bet on a 0-0 without doing it myself, lol. I never bet on our games. Interesting then that MM was picking Ray ahead of a seemingly fit Nelson. I remember under the Aldo regime we actually had five nil nil draws back to back! Right? Lol! & that was when we played attacking football :D

Player
Manager
John King
I think we were able to address some weaknesses in the January transfer window (centre half, defensive midfielders, strikers) but not others (wide areas, creative midfielders). In reality, we needed a whole upgrade on the squad that was put together in the summer, but that is not possible in one transfer window

The lack of confidence in the side in the attacking areas is also a major issue now and is inhibiting us in the final third. We just need a goal to come from somewhere.

Player
Manager
John King
While a point is better than none, not really enough against a struggling opponent, who sounded more likely to grab the win.

Was Ray really that bad? Suggestion elsewhere that he was doing quite well until his injury and I’m no great admirer.

It sounded like Vaughan was more involved than previous games, so a bit surprised he was taken off. Maybe an argument for replacing with a similar type of player; Jennings being closest from the subs. When we’ve got two deep-sitting midfielders in Woodyard and McCullough, should Micky have looked at using his final sub by bringing on a more attacking midfielder Gilmour/Jennings to try and win the game?
Yes, Ray was that bad. He was dreadful. I am Micky's biggest defender, but I have no idea why he prefers him to Nelson.

As you say, we could have brought on Danns late on, as neither of the central midfielders create much (although McCullough had a really good game).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You wonder whether Micky was happy with the point given the recent home results. Danns should have come for Woodward late on as we needed something different.

yes Ray was poor. He looked nervy and gave away a Couple of silly free kicks in dangerous areas. I just don’t think neither him or manny are commanding enough. Rumours are Micky fell out with sid but may be a load of nonsense. He did ok though albeit against average opponents. Vaughan worked hard again but as I said on Saturday, it’s hard to judge him when he gets no service. Ferrier can create something from nothing but hardly touched the ball. I see Mullin scores tonight

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Before I saw that about Mullin I was gonna make a tongue in cheek comment regarding bringing him off the bench tonight! But hey ho, with Micky we go...