• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Swindon

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Swindon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Swindon
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, February 8, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just a few additional thoughts;

Mickey was unusually vocal on the touch line in the first half, don’t recall him being as animated during a match recently. Not entirely happy with something? He was much quieter in the second half as Rovers got a total grip on the game.

I’d have made Glatzel MoM, because some of his attacking play was unexpected and imaginative. Hemmings had a good game and again got little protection from the officials with another shirt being ripped. Morris did well, defensively we were solid. There were some very good elements to Warrington’s game, but would like to see how effective he is in a game where we’re more under the cosh.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mickey was unusually vocal on the touch line in the first half, don’t recall him being as animated during a match recently. Not entirely happy with something? He was much quieter in the second half as Rovers got a total grip on the game.
Could it be that - like us - Micky realised what a big game this was and how important a win would be? Maybe he was desperate for that second goal.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Could it be that - like us - Micky realised what a big game this was and how important a win would be? Maybe he was desperate for that second goal.
I don't think it was desperation. The game plan was to press them when they played out from the back, and I think he just wanted to make sure the players stayed on the front foot and did not start sitting deep.

He is always pretty vocal and I can't say I noticed anything different tonight.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is no coincidence that we scored three for the first time this season just as the Hemmings-Glatzel partnership really starts to blossom.
Yes, I think this a crucial factor and will be for the run in. They looked like a real good partnership tonight. I'm delighted Hemmings got a brace and is now off the mark. Glatzel keeps improving with every game. I think he should be given enormous credit for his performances if you look at his first few games where he was like a rabbit in headlights. He looks a totally different player now.

It is about time we had a decent partnership up front and I think Jolley and Nevitt and also exciting, young, hungry prospects too. Good times!

Player
Manager
John King
There were some very good elements to Warrington’s game, but would like to see how effective he is in a game where we’re more under the cosh.
He seemed capable of standing up for himself physically tonight and was very willing to get stuck in.

Some of his passing was exceptional.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think it was desperation. The game plan was to press them when they played out from the back, and I think he just wanted to make sure the players stayed on the front foot and did not start sitting deep.

He is always pretty vocal and I can't say I noticed anything different tonight.
I sit just to the right of the home dug-out in the Bebington Paddock so get a good view of Micky during the match. My perception was that he was more vocal than usual during the first half. While you could hear players names, didn’t catch the instructions. MM appeared much quieter after the break so guessing whatever message he’d managed to get it across to his satisfaction after h/t

Player
aldo
sorry my daddy instinct has taken over the last few days few holding back the tears again god love the little man

ADD

Player
Norwood
Great result that.
Hemmings and Galtzel looked totally on each other's wavelength now. Must be great for the midfielders now seeing so much movement and space up front
Warrington's slide rule pass to Hemmings when he hit the post MM was eulogising over in his post match interview and rightly so. Difficult to tell from just the highlights but Warrington seemed to have a great debut and playing the full 90 minutes is testament to his fitness despite only having plyed U23's before. Massive competition for places in midfield bodes well for the remainder of the seson as with creative players like Hawkes and Warrington and a sorted front 2 we should start to score more than the 1 goal far more often.
Credit also to the defence - Davies is simply a better player than NKP (although he had done fine) - they hardly had a sniff...
Finally, liked MM's comment about us having a Liverpool, Everton and Celtic player on the pitch with a Rangers player on the bench - said he couldn't ever remember a Tranmere side with that before!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think there is the makings of a very good partnership between Hemmings and Glatzel they work very well together.
The squad is looking very strong and I don't think Spearing will be out too long, roll on Saturday

Player
aldo
the thing is will jay get back in if after last night,s showing the two lads in the centre of the park where very good

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I think there is the makings of a very good partnership between Hemmings and Glatzel they work very well together.
The squad is looking very strong and I don't think Spearing will be out too long, roll on Saturday
I agree totally about the partnership developing! Very exciting signs of a really strong vibrant team coming together.
Really excellent performance by the boys and a truly enjoyable watch as well as a win. Of course would take nicking wins by the odd goal to the end of the season but this filled me with optimism .
The squad strength will be a big factor and we certainly have so many options which is wonderful and the team spirit and effort is palpable

ADD

Player
Norwood
the thing is will jay get back in if after last night,s showing the two lads in the centre of the park where very good
Good question given McPake couldn't get a slot in the starting 11 either. Wonderful problem to have for MM and why I am hopeful/ (almost confident!) that we will start to score more goals on a regular basis as we did Saturday with so much creativity in midfield and 2 forwards whose partnership will only get better as they play alongside each other more..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, ADD. We have a great squad with the skills to play in a variety of formations. Better still, we have good cover for nearly every position. If you lose your place through injury or Covid, you may not get back in!

Player
Manager
John King
Going briefly off topic, the confirmation statement has been filed at Companies House and confirms that an additional £400,000 was received from Indonesia in January, although we don't know how much of that went directly into the wage budget.

I would think we made a substantial cost saving by offloading several players, but the injection might have allowed us to commit to the long term deals for Hawkes, O'Connor and Hemmings.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Going briefly off topic, the confirmation statement has been filed at Companies House and confirms that an additional £400,000 was received from Indonesia in January, although we don't know how much of that went directly into the wage budget.

I would think we made a substantial cost saving by offloading several players, but the injection might have allowed us to commit to the long term deals for Hawkes, O'Connor and Hemmings.
Really positive news and confirms that the view of our management and owners is not one of a hand to mouth existence. The maths have obviously been done around the benefits of promotion. MM just has to deliver now...

Player
ian goodison
never thought we would win 3-0 against on paper a supposedly good Swindon team, they played some great stuff in their own half which suited us, would love to have seen glatzels shot go in (would have been some goal) my MOM was O'Connor who appears to relish the responsibility without jay, as boz says the shirt pulling on both forwards which went un-checked throughout the whole game was criminal, that made up with the result after the game I was too busy joking with the grandsons I never saw the Swindon lads come screaming away from the ground almost running me down (no allowances me being 73)!!!!!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we are seeing this season the benefit of squad investment. We are going really well at the moment and have a great league position and are well on course for a decent season.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.

I was aware of this and I think, I quoted it in a post while praying for a January shopping list!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think we are seeing this season the benefit of squad investment. We are going really well at the moment and have a great league position and are well on course for a decent season.

This is mainly down to MM! He was aware of the deficiency of the squad.