• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v swindle town

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In theory taylor should be a good singing. He’s a local lad and at 28 should be in his prime. He’s very experienced and has the odd goal in him and when I watched him in Scotland he was very vocal. 6 league goals last season

Although I remember he was a target for the boo boys at times so does he want that again?

He’s been part of a Northampton side that have drawn a lot this season altho didn’t play in their 3-2 defeat at the weekend

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He was definitely a better player than Sutton when he was here previously. He did not have the best of games when we played Northampton earlier in the season, but you can't judge a player on one match.

His distribution is poor at times, which is why he was targeted in his first spell here. That and the strange pleasure some of our supporters take in criticising home produced players (cf. Stockton, Kirby, even Max Power).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He’s only half way through a 3 year contract at sixfields so il assuming we’d offer him an 18 month deal.

I guess it means that Gumbs isn’t held in the highest regard (sorry Boz)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sparky, I have given up hope of Rovers developing anyone else from our youth set-up into a first team regular.

Neutral on Ash Taylor returning, but he never deserved the flak that the boo-boys gave him when he was last at Rovers.

Player
ian goodison
I don,t think mellon has ever been known for playing or developing young players at least taylor if he comes is under 30, both Gilmore & perkins on 18month contracts but expect Gilmore to warm the bench more often than not.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Sparky, I have given up hope of Rovers developing anyone else from our youth set-up into a first team regular.

I am with you on that Boz, to me MM has since his arrival seemed totally disinterested in developing any of our youth players into regulars.

drwhoman

I imagine that in our current situation MM is interested in short term results. We were close to a financial catastrophe if we had not been promoted and I imagine that it will take us a season or two to get back on to a proper even finanancial keel. The key is league payments of course. In these circumstances, developing young players is a bit of a luxury. At the same time, the trawling of prospective talent by the big clubs has never been more comprehensive. From a brief look, the Liverpool Academy is full of young players 'acquired' from elsewhere. The sad thing is that many of them will become disenchanted and may even be lost to football as they would probably have been better off seeking an alternative path to success to start with. How many of these guys actually make it from the Academy into the Premier League? I think Liverpool have three or four around at present but fifty plus Under 23 and Youth players in total.

Player
Manager
John King
I am with you on that Boz, to me MM has since his arrival seemed totally disinterested in developing any of our youth players into regulars.
Gilmour and Smith are two young players we are developing at the moment. Our academy has been closed, so it is not realistic to expect we will bring through youngsters like we did in the eighties and nineties. As has been commented above, the immediate priority of Palios and Mellon was to keep the club afloat.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Disappointing though it was, it was difficult in the last five seasons to blood youngsters because we were either fighting relegation or chasing promotion. This season, we will probably have to settle for mid-table but ironically at the moment we probably don't have that many youngsters ready for a taste of the first team.

Player
Manager
John King
FGR are currently three up against Grimsby, with the returning hero Christian Doidge scoring two of the goals. They look certs for the play offs now that he is back there.

Another nemesis of Rovers, Danny Rowe, has scored two for Lincoln at Yeovil.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
I think my memory must have gone RLC but why would Rowe be our nemesis?

Player
Manager
John King
I think my memory must have gone RLC but why would Rowe be our nemesis?
I am pretty sure he tormented us in the 4-2 defeat at Macclesfield two years ago. Lewis scored a hat trick for Macc, but Rowe was their best player.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Ah yes, you’re right. Was trying to forget all about the last 3 years :)

Was very good for Lincoln last season too so wasn’t surprised to see him back there.