• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Swans FA Cup Third round

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The chance to see a top flight side at Prenton Park, although the visitors aren't a total novelty. We've played league games against them in the last decade, while their most recent visit to Birkenhead saw them dump us out of the League Cup in the Parry era. They won't be at their strongest, with Shelvey and Routledge banned, while Bony will be heading to the Africa cup.

Ridehalgh is available after his ban, Odejayi an injury doubt, while Jahraldo-Martin has returned to Hull. I think the other loanees will be available; have heard talk of Jennings signing for us and Fenelon staying for another month, but no mention of Donacien.

In terms of priorities, we need to avoid a demoralising defeat and picking up any injuries or suspensions. Anything above that is a bonus.

It will be interesting to see if we revert to wing-backs or stick with a flat back four. If the latter, would rather Holmes keeps his place than recall Ridehalgh, natural left-footer or not. I wouldn't start Shuker in this game, we need someone, who's more match-fit.

There should be a decent crowd, although I doubt the visitors will sell out. Probably get a crowd around 7k. Really have no idea about the result; anything could happen...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In terms of priorities, we need to avoid a demoralising defeat and picking up any injuries or suspensions. Anything above that is a bonus.
I'm sure most of us including the management and staff will be looking forward to this one. It's a welcome break from our relegation struggle. For once, no pressure on us as we are not expected to get anything from the game, so I agree with Boz's statement. Under normal circumstances, our defence is too porous to stop their attack and we have failed to score against worse teams than Swansea. Even though this is the FA Cup and Swans may rest some of their players (as well as those unavailable), I think they will be too strong. We'll put up a fight as usual, particularly as the TV cameras will showcase the likes of Max, but Swans will do just enough to see us off. I predict 0-2, a goal in each half. Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong and we end up with a plum tie in 4th round, but that would eclipse anything Aldo achieved.

Re the transfer rumours, I'd be delighted to keep Jennings and hope we can hang onto Donacien and Fenelon, as I doubt we'd end up with anyone better. I'm not surprised about Jahraldo-Martin.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I watched the highlights of our fifth round tie with the Swans in 2004 this week, and it is remarkable to consider the changes at both clubs since that time. Back then Swansea were a division below us, with Roberto Martinez and Andy Robinson mainstays of their midfield; Leon Britton is their only surviving player from that game, although their manager may also have been in their squad at the time. The two clubs have headed in opposite directions since, but Swansea are perhaps one of the best examples of a relatively small club that has a had a lot of success in the modern era through good management, rather than spending fortunes. Perhaps a model for Rovers to try to replicate in the Palios era.

Regarding tomorrow's game, I think this is one of the most attractive ties we could have had, outside of a game with one of the really big clubs. Swansea play good football and have some very talented individuals. Our chances of getting a result are very slim, regardless of the team Swansea put out, and I would expect us to play five at the back in an attempt to keep things tight, probably with Laird, Jennings and Power in midfield. I would guess the attendance will be about 6-7,000, although ticket sales are apparently going well. A game I am really looking forward to.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, nice change from the usual struggles in the league. Don't expect to win but as long as we put in a good performance, should be an enjoyable game. 7-8k for the attendance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Routledge has had his red card rescinded and will be available against us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think they will be far too good for us and win 2 0 but its certainly an exciting game with a decent size crowd expected.

Player
Manager
John King
Despite the scoreline, I was pleased with the performance today. I thought we had a real go and caused Swansea problems in both halves: I did not expect Swansea to score six beforehand, but I did not think we would score two and hit the post either. The real disappointment for me was the way we conceded the second goal, with Jenno giving the ball away twenty five yards from goal for the second game running. At 2-0 we were never seriously going to get back into the game, and I think Micky went 4-4-2 and threw caution to the wind just to give the home fans some entertainment in the last half an hour: while we looked dangerous in that period and showed lots of spirit, Swansea were always going to be able to pick us off on the counter attack.

I thought Max was by far our best player and deserved his goal and it is great that we have a midfielder that is in double figures halfway through the season. I also thought Marc Laird worked incredibly hard and got in some fantastic blocks and interceptions.

The most positive aspect of the day was probably the attendance and it is just a pity we don't get 100% of the receipts. Dagenham winning puts us back in the bottom two, which is a bit of a downer, but we still have a decent chance of survival.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Six was probably a bit harsh really although they did cut through our defence with relative ease. First half was too cautious playing 532 but we improved in the second half when we threw caution to the wind.

Great attendance too. Back to the league we go..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Game of two halves. In the first the Swans seem to have left their shooting boots at home and it took a handball from Dyer to give them the lead, after which we got stuck in for a period, perhaps fired up by the injustice; Rovers didn't have any real attempts on goal before they scored.

Second half, everything the visitors directed goalwards seemed to end up in our net. While some were near unstoppable, like the 6th from Gomis, a Jennings error lead to the second, while OFW and Holness in particular could have done better with the others.

I'd agree that Max played well, thought Holmes kept battling despite the early booking and Ihiekwe was steady on his return. Laird did fairly well defensively, but wasn't as direct going forward as he can be. Think we missed Odejayi up front as neither Stockton nor Fenelon seemed to be getting into the opposition defenders.

Great crowd and they got behind the side, especially when we pulled a goal back. However am feeling a bit disheartened and just hope the team can take it on the chin and move on.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Couldn't get to the game as I am back in Iraq, however I have watched the highlights and have to say that almost all of Swansea's goals looked to be down to a defensive error or potentially could have been prevented. Having watched the highlights three times, there are numerous opportunities where a player could have put in a decent challenge to snuff out the attack. Instead, defenders were too cautious against the Swans player and cost us dearly.

Max scoring again is great though, and Stockton's goal will give him a confidence boost. In addition to the attendance, these are the only positives I think we can take from the game.

I might starts putting Max on as "anytime goal scorer" from now on in my bets...would have made me a fortune over the past couple of months!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Disappointed with the score. We all predicted the result but nobody thought we'd score or concede so many. It shows what a gulf there is in class between the bottom of League Two and a Premier League reserve team! It was reassuring to see Max so upbeat in his MOTD interview. I hope the rest of the team are. At least they won't have a tougher match all season. Shame about Daggers winning, but Carlisle lost, so if we win our game in hand, we move up to 21st.

Player
Nixon
I enjoyed the game, great to see such a big crowd....... see you all again next season when we have a cup game :)

As usual Laird gave too many balls away :(

Holness was tore another 3 bum holes by Gomis, he back up so far for the 6th that he nearly ended up going down Borough Rd.

Now where in January, I can see

Jake Kirby going on Loan
Richards being released
Donovan being released
Laird being released
Stockton going on loan if another striker is brought in. (most clinical finisher, but not strong enough and no pace)
Max Power going but being loaned back until the end of the season

Jennings deal made permanent.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I enjoyed the game, great to see such a big crowd....... see you all again next season when we have a cup game :)

As usual Laird gave too many balls away :(

Holness was tore another 3 bum holes by Gomis, he back up so far for the 6th that he nearly ended up going down Borough Rd.

Now where in January, I can see

Jake Kirby going on Loan
Richards being released
Donovan being released
Laird being released
Stockton going on loan if another striker is brought in. (most clinical finisher, but not strong enough and no pace)
Max Power going but being loaned back until the end of the season

Jennings deal made permanent.

I wouldn't particularly single out Laird as giving the ball away yesterday. There were far too many times we gave the ball back to Swansea and against a side of their ability that was always going to be dangerous.

On your suggested January moves, I'd agree Richards doesn't seem to have a future here, but given we paid money for Donnelly, would be a surprise if he went on a free. Can't see Laird going, Rowe would be more likely. It was disappointing he made little impact when coming on yesterday.
I did think Kirby might have benefited from a loan spell, but he's looked ok in the two sub appearances, so probably will see if he can keep it up. I agree re Stockton's weaknesses, but he is a good player to have on the bench. Madjo has done nothing and can't see his deal being extended.
Would have no issue with a sell and loan back deal for Max.
Jennings, despite recent gaffes still fills a need in the squad. Ideally he'd be offered an 18 month deal, with an opt out if we drop, but with the remarks from MA about short-term deals, that is loooking less likely. Indeed Micky indicates we're top-heavy and is looking to move some players on.
You haven't mentioned Baggie; whatever his future we shouldn't release him until after the Hartlepool game.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Boz's comments above. There is no way Laird or Stockton are going: Laird, for all his faults, is extremely hard working and Micky likes him. Yesterday, he was one of our better players and Jennings was guilty of giving the ball away more often. Cole has to improve many aspects of his game - including his workrate, which was again found wanting yesterday - but of the strikers he is by far our best finisher and his goals to games ratio this season is good, considering his injury.

I think Richards, Baggie, Donnelly and Madjo will all be considered surplus to requirements, but I would agree with Boz that we will want some compensation if George moves on (we won't get any though). Of the others, it is only the departure of Baggie that would disappoint me, as I do think he has something to offer, but has not been rated by a succession of managers. It is difficult to know what will happen regarding Rowe and Kirby, but my gut feeling is that Jake will stay until the end of the season and James will be loaned out.

Player
Manager
John King
I have watched the highlights and have to say that almost all of Swansea's goals looked to be down to a defensive error or potentially could have been prevented. Having watched the highlights three times, there are numerous opportunities where a player could have put in a decent challenge to snuff out the attack. Instead, defenders were too cautious against the Swans player and cost us dearly.

In fairness, our League Two defenders have never come up against a Champions League striker like Gomis before, and probably never will again. When we were chasing the game in the second half, the back four were bound to get dragged all over the place by their attackers, due to their exceptional pace, movement and skill. It is hard to be too critical of fourth division defenders because of their inability to cope with seasoned internationals.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on Jenno's ricket - it can happen to the best ( so long it is not a reoccurring event) and at the moment he is just what we need to protect the back line. The shame for me was that we did stand off them too much. The pundits will always say defend on your feet, but every now and again you have to let the opposition know you are going to come for the ball - otherwise they get to comfortable and know they can get their heads up. Give Holmes his due it was good to see another combatitive performance from him.

In terms of comings and goings, although I think we will stay up wit the current squad, I would like to see a better a striker than we have brought in. Cole has scored a few, but does not do enough for me - not always on front foot when in the box (would score a few more if he got across defenders more often) and does not do enough outside of it.

I think Rowe will stay as can offer something as a sub - although not against the Swans - may have been different if we had had the ball.
Laird will stay due to his work rate.

Would like to se ABB get more opportunities, but I guess MA sees him as a luxury player.
Richards will be away and as will Donnelly - maybe on loan.

If we get all the defenders fit and can keep Thompson it would be useful - how long will Woodards be out though as I would play him every time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Higgy, I think Woodards will be gone as his contract is up this month and hes far too injury prone to keep

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Higgy, I think Woodards will be gone as his contract is up this month and hes far too injury prone to keep
That would be a shame for him. He looked great at Wycombe, but I agree his recent long-term injury did nothing to improve his reputation. I'd offer him as pay as you play deal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Did anyone else notice that the club we beat in last year's FA Cup second round (Oxford United) beat the team who knocked us out in the third round (Swansea City)? Strange how things change in football.

drwhoman

Yes indeed. On an unrelated point I see that James Wallace has gone on loan to Shrewsbury and will be playing with Mangin.