• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Sunderland

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
oh dear its not looking great . i love what mm has done . but his time must be running out sorry to say think he has lost it a little
As a chef, AM, you know you are only as good as your ingredients. If they are not of the best quality, you will struggle. And if your equipment is always breaking down, you are stuffed. My point is don’t blame Micky. I doubt many managers would be doing better with this squad and with this number of injuries.

The big irony is that he is a victim of his own success. Two successive promotions have left us short of money to acquire better players to compete. Then our cup run has resulted in injuries and left the squad too knackered to give its best.

There is no evidence Micky has lost the dressing room. Far from it. Give him a chance to see what he can do between now and the end of the season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still don’t think removing Micky is the answer. Yes I don’t agree with 1 up front, especially at home, plus his recruitment is questionable, but he has been shopping in the football equivalent of B+M Bargains and when u have injuries to key players like Clarke, Danns and CBT then it is telling. Even if we go down I would still keep him.
I agree generally, but we have played two up front most of the season. Ferrier has only played six or seven games up front on his own. But I agree we should go with two strikers again now.

drwhoman

The problem MM has is that given the mixed quality of his squad to play two up front takes a body from somewhere else when he is trying to maintain the shape of the team. If the overall quality was better than maybe two is a possibility. The other point to be made is that if the quality of our strikers is average at best, does having two upfront do us any good?
As has been said above, two straight promotions, without a big increase in owner club investment, effectively means that we are trying to stay in L1 when, in reality, our budget is more L2. Straight through promotion has been a mixed blessing particularly as we lost Norwood, whose goals got us into L2 and then L1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t dissent from the view that we’re suffering from the back to back promotions and the lack of resources to get our squad up to sufficient strength for this level. Doubtful any manager could do significantly better with the players currently available.

However, Ferrier is not prolific enough to persist with as a lone striker, even Monthe has got more goals in recent games. Maybe Vaughan can function effectively up front by himself, if the point drwhoman makes about keeping our shape elsewhere is valid. Otherwise Micky must look at playing 2 up front as we need to be scoring and winning games to have any hope of surviving.

CBT had stitches to a shin injury, explaining his absence. Hepburn-Murphy’s absence remains a mystery. Rumours he’s being recalled and sent elsewhere persist. A shame if true as he offered something different up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure we’ve played a proper front 2 much this season? Ok 1st game of the season it was ponticelli and Payne (2 poor signings), but in recent weeks and months it’s been Jennings behind Ferrier with the likes of CBT and Morris wide. Or a 3-5-2 which hasn’t created enough. As much as I like Connor he isn’t an out and out striker and always drops deep leaving Morgan isolated, partly due to having to help out the grandads in midfield! Something drastic needs to change and the best way I can think is to go old school Ronnie style i.e 4-4-2. Two proper strikers and 2 proper wingers

Player
aldo
did not say i blame him or that he has lost the dressing room . we just look like a team that is set to go down . we cant defend or score not a great combo . as i said i love what mm has done and would love us to stay up . but games are running out the gap is getting bigger . if we lose oh dear

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sparky, two observations re your retro formation. Arguably we’ve only one ‘proper winger’ in CBT, Morris can play out wide but doesn’t really fit that category imo. Also Connor Jennings has got more goals recently than Ferrier who might be classed as a ‘proper striker’. Don’t disagree with the idea, but do we have the personnel to put it into action?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good point Boz. If everyone fit I could say CBT on the left and maybe Morris on the right. Two centre mids of say Woodyard and Danns. But I agree the squad isn’t ideally suited with a lack of proper wingers plus Jennings, who has improved of late but was ineffective last night, is a favourite of MMs and may not fit into a 4-4-2.
So perhaps 3-5-2 is more likely so. Connor behind the front two but then we’re relying on wing backs - arguably caprices best position plus Kane Wilson effective in that area too

ADD

Player
Norwood
A disappointing result - another set play goal conceded from a free kick that Manny was stupid to give away. The ref was rubbish yes but Manny was lucky not to get booked in the 4th minute though it was a good challenge when he was sent off but he doesn't help himself by wandering away as if he has fouled the guy and is trying to get away from the ref. Manny has looked lethargic the last couple of games as if his head isn't 100% in it. Definitely a penalty also not given by the ref when Gilmour was hauled over in the box.
Overall the issue as already said is clearly a lack of goal opportunities - how many shots did we have in reality? MM has to stop trying to play Ferrier up front alone and I assume he will from Saturday when we will play Vaughan and Ferrier up top. As to rest of the side I thought Wilson was excellent on his return. Assuming Feeney arrives (not sure what the hold up is) he will have to play on Saturday given Manny is out. I am wondering whether Wilson could/ should play midfield - he is a class above many of our other players creativity wise in which case I would play 442 with him RM. Getting serious now.. and we have taken only 2 points from the last 18. Will MP twist or stick and think we can stay up if we bring in 2 or 3 more or will he call time on this season and accept whatever the outcome?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nelson could play Saturday, there were suggestions that Clarke might be available, so even if Feeney arrives as the Echo suggested, may not go straight into the starting xi. Who knows...

I've said previously that in these unusual circumstances it should be worth the Palioi backing the manager with a few additional signings of suitable calibre to try and keep us up. There will be a cost to the club in terms of funds from attendances and season-ticket sales if we are relegated.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
As to rest of the side I thought Wilson was II I am wondering whether Wilson could/ should play midfield - he is a class above many of our other players creativity wise in which case I would play 442 with him RM.

Excellent point ref Wilson ADD. RM would ensure on of our better players sees a lot of the ball. Maybe Morris or Rides (if not required elsewhere in the team) on the left side. I wouldn't play CBT there in case he forgot his defensive duties, but maybe play him alongside Vaughn rather, than Ferrier, to
Mix the combo up with a bit of pace and variety. I don't think opposition centre backs would have to go looking far for a Vaughn/Ferrier combo.

Player
ian goodison
I know I,m being defeatist but I don,t think whatever formation mellon puts out we are stuck in the mire, we don,t appear set up to win games, boz says back the manager with signings but the trouble is will we be stuck with a big wage bill if we go down? or go down the micky adams route and bring in more loanees, I actually feel we have a decent squad but are not utilising what we have better, I would like nothing better than staying up and being reminded later what I have posted.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not saying all signings, we could bring in another loanee who could play assuming the comings and goings are correct. It's a matter of record that we couldn't afford to fund the likes of Vaughan, Maynard etc in the summer

Player
ian goodison
not having a pop boz but to me we don,t appear to have a clear strategy of what we want plus micky wanting to play a certain way makes me think he will struggle to be more expansive and attack minded, I realise we have have to be wary with finances also

Player
Manager
John King
Good point Boz. If everyone fit I could say CBT on the left and maybe Morris on the right. Two centre mids of say Woodyard and Danns. But I agree the squad isn’t ideally suited with a lack of proper wingers plus Jennings, who has improved of late but was ineffective last night, is a favourite of MMs and may not fit into a 4-4-2.
So perhaps 3-5-2 is more likely so. Connor behind the front two but then we’re relying on wing backs - arguably caprices best position plus Kane Wilson effective in that area too
I would not play 442, but with the arrival of Vaughan I would probably drop Jennings to be honest. After a good period of form around Christmas he has been poor again in the last few games. His work rate is exceptional but I don't think he offers enough creativity to play as a number ten at this level. I would prefer to see Morris used in that role.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm not saying all signings, we could bring in another loanee who could play assuming the comings and goings are correct. It's a matter of record that we couldn't afford to fund the likes of Vaughan, Maynard etc in the summer
I agree with Boz that at least a couple more players are needed to give us a realistic chance of staying up. I don't see ours as a good squad that is underperforming.

Player
aldo
we just need to start scoring and we need one hell of a turn around . simple as that we need wins . we have not been good enough . . lets just hope the new bees can sprinkle that magic and give a spark . the team needs . the boys will love being on a good pitch on saturday ours is killing us its shear maddnes

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure we’ve played a proper front 2 much this season? Ok 1st game of the season it was ponticelli and Payne (2 poor signings), but in recent weeks and months it’s been Jennings behind Ferrier with the likes of CBT and Morris wide. Or a 3-5-2 which hasn’t created enough. As much as I like Connor he isn’t an out and out striker and always drops deep leaving Morgan isolated, partly due to having to help out the grandads in midfield! Something drastic needs to change and the best way I can think is to go old school Ronnie style i.e 4-4-2. Two proper strikers and 2 proper wingers
There was a long period in the first half of the season where we played Payne and Mullin as a front two. It was not effective, and we then reverted to Jennings playing behind Ferrier once Morgan was fit.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I would not play 442, but with the arrival of Vaughan I would probably drop Jennings to be honest. After a good period of form around Christmas he has been poor again in the last few games. His work rate is exceptional but I don't think he offers enough creativity to play as a number ten at this level. I would prefer to see Morris used in that role.
Totally agree - 442 as the squad stand would run the risk of getting overwhelmed in midfield.
Resting Jennings is a sound idea and he may then comeback fresh with good impact in the final furlong.
Morris or even CBT would do for me supporting Vaughn rather than Ferrier/Payne as I think they would be easier to mark by the centre backs.
352 might be a way forward and sticking McCulloch in there might facilitate a canny player like Gilmour pulling s few strings in the opponent's half.
I think we will stay up so long as injuries don't go off the scale.