• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Stoke

Player
aldo
its been a wired pre season so far have missed some of the local games i think we should it helps them out and they are some great teams ass well . hey ho its the potters tomoz . who is going as norm im working and i don,t normally do pr season games . hope Mullin and Miller do the biz again as they need to get some form going . the team should be fitter now and with if im right 3 games to go should start settling down with who mm wants to start with

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After beating Burnley, it will be interesting to see how we get on against decent opposition. Quite looking forward to it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I might go to this to check out the new signings and for a bit of a football fix.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Got my ticket already (saving £3) - I am hopeful and think we will look pretty good tomorrow. Wonder if there will be any trialists??

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope to see a couple of trialists, altho i think we're all done on striker front. Some mix and match experiments by MM with what we have there.

ADD

Player
Norwood
No trialists and no CBT either. Hope he is ok. Mullin and Miller start up front. Jennings on bench

Player
Manager
John King
The first half was better than the second, but I still thought that was an encouraging performance. We gave as good as we got in the first forty five and caused a strong Stoke line up some problems, while looking pretty solid at the back.

I thought Miller was excellent and seems to be developing a good partnership with Mullin; Ryan Shawcross knew he was in a game today. In the centre of defence Sid and Manny were very good and dealt well with a striker partnership of Vokes and Afobe, which is a handful to say the least. In midfield, I thought Banks and Perkins had excellent games. Jake Caprice had another good game at right back.

The second half became virtually impossible for us when Stoke changed their entire eleven and brought on fresh legs, but nonetheless I was still disappointed with Payne and Ponticelli when they came on. The workrate of the former was lacking and the latter could not really get into the game. I think we might be reliant on Miller staying fit this season, unless there are further developments up front. On the positive side, Gilmour was very good when he came on and looks ready to make an impact.

Hopefully the injury to Sid is nothing serious.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I pretty much agree with RLC. We did pretty well in the first half although as expected they were the better side. As RLC says we struggled more when they had all fresh legged players but that was to be expected when we changed only 4. We were also too reliant on punts down the wing especially from Rides but then they were quickly onto us so space was at a premium.
Davies made several excellent saves and only flapped at one cross. Manny and Nelson did very well although their first goal was a Nelson clearance going straight to one of them in the box. Agreed re Caprice who was excellent. Rides will be an issue this season I expect pace wise. I thought Potter did ok in the holding role and when he came on Gilmour looked good and very purposeful. Woods also did well - I thought MM might have given him more than 30 minutes. Miller and Mullin were lively and if he stays fit Miller will be a big player for us this season IMO - he had one excellent strike which went just wide. Payne unlike RLC I thought did put in enough effort but yes neither he nor Ponticelli showed anything of note and although it is early days I wonder how much we will see of them.
Finally I heard CBT had a slight knock - nothing serious which is good - likewise I hope Sid's injury is not serious - I was surprised he came back on at all as it looked like he had done his shoulder/ collarbone.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Nelson was unfortunate with the first goal. He made a good interception but the ball fell nicely to their full back who smacked it home. One of the midfielders should have been covering in front of him.

His injury looked very nasty, but being the player he is he carried on for a good twenty minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought they did well against a decent Stoke side. First half in particular was more enterprising and Miller was unlucky not to score with a powerful shot. I think he might be a real key this season holding up the ball and generally being a nuisance. Not sure Potter was in the game much but the defence was solid and midfield play generally good. Davies made some excellent saves too.

A few people were moaning and groaning about Payne who might be the pantomime villain this season but he was brought on with no support alongside him and at that stage of the game Stoke were enjoying their best period in possession with not much happening in their half.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Potter is being asked to protect the back four at the moment, which restricts him a bit. We will probably see more of him if McCullough signs and takes on that role. I thought Payne did not hold the ball up anywhere near as effectively as Miller, who was also isolated at times, but perhaps that is not really his game. We will see in the weeks ahead.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think Potter is being asked to protect the back four at the moment, which restricts him a bit. We will probably see more of him if McCullough signs and takes on that role. I thought Payne did not hold the ball up anywhere near as effectively as Miller, who was also isolated at times, but perhaps that is not really his game. We will see in the weeks ahead.
Absolutely RLC - he was playing exactly that role... I don't think that Mc Cullough will be coming back so likely that is his role for the season.... Incidentally Gilmour seemed to be playing in a far more advanced role than previously...anyone else notice that?
Just seen the post match interviews and no mention of Sid so I assume that means the injury is not so bad.... Also good interview with Miller - he stressed again and again it is all about fitness for him and as a big lad it takes a bit longer for him to get there. If he stays well I think he will be a massive handful and will score plenty of goals... big IF however.. let's hope!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Largely agree with what has been said. Miller has clearly worked hard in pre-season, has shed those extra pounds and looks a real handful. Can see him becoming a crowd favourite - we really need someone with character in this side. Thought that we were really well organised in the first half and that in itself is a major plus to take from this game. What was slightly frustrating though was that we were not really able to create anything at all going forward as a unit against an impressive side that pressed high. Felt that we never really got out of first gear, far too slow when we had possession and gave the ball away cheaply. Good to see Micky experimenting with a 4-4-2 formation with a diamond in midfield with Potter protecting the back 4 and Morris playing centrally behind the front two. Banks was inconsistent again in his passing and tackling, I thought, although I do like the lad. Too early to jump to conclusions at this stage but Payne just didn't do enough to lead the line - didn't get stuck in nor hold up the ball. Scotty easily MOTM for me with 4 outstanding saves in the second half. Is George Ray injured? In conclusion, a frustrating afternoon but an excellent workout for the lads. Carlisle and Walsall will perhaps give us a better idea about where we are at...

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ray and CBT had knocks apparently. Nothing serious tho I heard...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wasn’t at the game but looks like question marks around Payne already. He has had a bit of nomadic career and other teams have questioned his attitude. The problem is that he’ll inevitably be compared to Nors whose work rate was 100% every week, and who has the goals to back it up.
Still early days I guess for the lad.

Front two at the moment first choice could well be Miller and Mullin

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, looks like a completely different player to Nors. I think Paynes needs someone to play alongside him. Miller would be a good partner as he can hold up the ball and create his own problems.

Player
Manager
John King
Largely agree with what has been said. Miller has clearly worked hard in pre-season, has shed those extra pounds and looks a real handful. Can see him becoming a crowd favourite - we really need someone with character in this side. Thought that we were really well organised in the first half and that in itself is a major plus to take from this game. What was slightly frustrating though was that we were not really able to create anything at all going forward as a unit against an impressive side that pressed high. Felt that we never really got out of first gear, far too slow when we had possession and gave the ball away cheaply. Good to see Micky experimenting with a 4-4-2 formation with a diamond in midfield with Potter protecting the back 4 and Morris playing centrally behind the front two. Banks was inconsistent again in his passing and tackling, I thought, although I do like the lad. Too early to jump to conclusions at this stage but Payne just didn't do enough to lead the line - didn't get stuck in nor hold up the ball. Scotty easily MOTM for me with 4 outstanding saves in the second half. Is George Ray injured? In conclusion, a frustrating afternoon but an excellent workout for the lads. Carlisle and Walsall will perhaps give us a better idea about where we are at...
I don't agree that we were slow in possession in the first half. I thought once we settled we did cause Stoke problems, getting into good areas, and there were a couple of genuine chances, notably the one for Miller.