• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Stevenage

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Stevenage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Stevenage
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On another day we could have let in 8 or more. What planet the sponsors were on nominating Hemmings MoM, who took his goal well, but made little impact otherwise, I do not know. Doohan made two or three excellent saves, some good claims and kept the scoreline respectable. There were a couple of headers off our line too, a sitter missed and a Jamieson back-pass only just going the right(for Rovers) side of the post.

Will post at greater length when I’m home. Not happy.
The sponsors must have been on the same stuff as the 2 young lads sat behind us. A great advertisement for drug testing at football. Non-stop loud and foul mouthed bile from start to finish.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
16 shots for the visitors with 10 on targets backs up what Boz says about 2-1 possibly flattering us. 8 shots for us and 4 on target.

again only one game but with that many attempts on our goal was it personnel that didn’t work or the system? Or both ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Some strange results elsewhere. At least we are not in the bottom two. That honour goes to Hartlepool and - Swindon! Also below us are Gillingham, Grimsby and - Mansfield!
Still trying desperately hard to be positive, I note that in May we were five points off automatic promotion. At the moment, we are only three points off. ;)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky making it clear post match do we have enough players with the required fight and competitive nature required for league two

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
well that was a great start glad i was in the Kitchen
A shocker. There was a real sense of deja vu as we created next to nothing going forward with only Cogley's charges down the right occasionally looking threatening. Defensively we were shambolic in the first half and only Doohan kept the score down. O'Connor was tidy and was usually central to the few good passages of play where we knocked a few passes about on the ground. Up top, Nevitt never looked liked scoring and though he may have won awards last season I personally am yet to be convinced that he can cut it at this level. In pre-season and today we have shown a worrying reliance on one source - Hemmings - for goals. Could be a long season battling away in the wrong half of the table

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Often quoted by managers in league two, the spine of your team must be experienced with height and a presence.
We, today were woefully short of all aspects of this philosophy.
Too many bullied off the ball and not enough quality.

The scoreline flattered us!

Couldn't believe Warwick Rimmer in Beb end, main stand! Why?

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Positivity sucks! My pre-match enthusiasm quickly put to bed with that disjointed first half. To be honest, Stevenage’s energy levels, strength and positivity going forward should have had them out of sight at half-time. Sometimes you’ve got to balance the negativity for your own team with praise for the opposition; thought their game plan first half was spot on. Didn’t think they could maintain their high intensity second half and we did start to get on top and deservedly equalised early on. I actually thought we looked likely to be the only winners for the next 20 minutes or so and was just concerned about us running out of time to score the winner, but they weathered the storm and started to push on more.
One area we lacked in comparison was savvy and they had plenty to spare; I’d only put Hemmings on a par in this regard. Once they went ahead, their game management was frustrating but spot on for a team in their position.
As much as there’s been criticism of Jameson, he did look fragile in the first half, I thought he did little wrong second half and just hope he doesn’t become a scapegoat. Frustrating that both goals were conceded when we were set defensively and not from counter-attacking in the throws of our new gung-ho style!
Too early to jump to any considered conclusions and no doubt we’ll learn from the defeat. Tough game to follow next week but doubt there’s going to be many easy ones.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m still left thinking did we make too many changes, both in personnel and system? We were very close to the top 7 last time yet got rid of around a dozen players and have signed around the same. I know many complained about the style of play but at least we were defensively good for most of the season.
Micky keeps saying we need to be patient with these young players but if results carry on in a similar fashion his head will be on the chopping block

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The irony is Peter Clarke could have played in the middle of a back 3 for us today instead of doing that at Walsall with monthe and Donervan Daniel’s either side of him and keeping a clean sheet

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just seen the highlights on itv4. It is bad when even the highlights can’t pick out many good moves.
I liked Colin Murray on Quest and miss his enthusiasm and soft spot for Rovers. Ali Maxwell and George Eykin were also very knowledgeable. However, it did seem that itv4 were showing a little more of the games.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Managed to watch this in Spain on IFollow. To try to pick out some positives: had mixed feelings about Ross Doohan rejoining but he had a really good game keeping us in it with several sharp saves and distribution improved. Relieved Josh Cogley still with us being perhaps our best player, sparking some good sharp interplay down the right second half. Had we built on our ascendency after the equaliser which seemed likely, the result could have been different, albeit fortunate overall. Lee O’Connor also had an assured performance one of few finding space and he continues to improve.
Yes of course agree with a lot of your concerns with no obvious leaders organising like a Ian Goodison or dare I say a Peter Clark and not very street wise savvy but hopefully that will come .
We just seemed to let the game go in the end without a whimper. Do you think we should have got the experienced Nolan on earlier? Was there any other options to change the course of the game - not seen the pre season at all so don’t know the new boys.
Crowd for first match really disappointing with main stand barely half full looking sad. We used to get some really big crowds for the first match and from what could be heard quite subdued. Is this the lack of marquee signings, disappointing with how last season ended or the tight economics so you think?
Let’s try and keep positive and stick behind the boys as it takes time to settle down and we have been hampered with injury’s to key players .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think we should get too carried away. I’ve seen posts calling for Micky to be sacked after the first game of the season. What a joke.

The big problem yesterday from what I can gather was the defence. It was nowhere near what is required at this level. It lacked experience and the players did not perform to the standard required.

We may struggle a little bit in this area until Davies and Turnbull return. I think we also need to be a little bit patient with the young lads. It will take some games for them to get up to speed and gel into the squad.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I don’t think we should get too carried away. I’ve seen posts calling for Micky to be sacked after the first game of the season. What a joke.

The big problem yesterday from what I can gather was the defence. It was nowhere near what is required at this level. It lacked experience and the players did not perform to the standard required.

We may struggle a little bit in this area until Davies and Turnbull return. I think we also need to be a little bit patient with the young lads. It will take some games for them to get up to speed and gel into the squad.
+1 and don’t forget some of those tipped for promotion/big spenders also lost ie, Crawley, Mansfield, Stockport, Swindon and Bradford (probably felt like a loss against 10 man Doncaster). Doubt there’s the same massive overreaction from their supporters.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It was a disappointing result and very poor performance, we were poor for most of the game and if it wasn't for Doohan it could have been more comprehensive.
Our bad habit of conceding late goals continues, I thought we would see out for a draw but it wasn't to be.
We really need Turnbull and Davies back soon as they will shore up the defence but I still think we will struggle to create and score enough goals and if Hemmings were to get injured we will be in big trouble

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Yes the usual online meltdown wasn’t a shock. Way too early to even think about mickys position.

I just still go back to this massive change in system - was it really needed? If we’d finished say 10-15 points off the play offs last season then maybe, but we weren’t far off at all, despite at times a lack of entertainment. Micky calls for us to be patient and it’ll take time but does he have the time in modern football?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The irony is Peter Clarke could have played in the middle of a back 3 for us today instead of doing that at Walsall with monthe and Donervan Daniel’s either side of him and keeping a clean sheet
I still think it was the right decision to let Clarke go, and Davies and Turnbull are every bit as good as him when available. I think the gate of 6,100 was very similar to last season's opening game, after taking account of the reduced number of away fans and the number of supporters that are away at the moment.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes the usual online meltdown wasn’t a shock. Way too early to even think about mickys position.

I just still go back to this massive change in system - was it really needed? If we’d finished say 10-15 points off the play offs last season then maybe, but we weren’t far off at all, despite at times a lack of entertainment. Micky calls for us to be patient and it’ll take time but does he have the time in modern football?
I don't think 532 to 442 is a massive change in system. A change, yes. Some teams, including ourselves recently, have operated both systems depending on the opposition. With the change MM is trying to improve our style of play which has, at least in part, been driven by "feedback" from the fans. We can't have it all ways. 532/352 is undoubtedly more dynamic and entertaining if played with the correct personnel. Look at FGR last season. The challenge now is the personnel bit - getting our strongest players onto the pitch in the right positions.

I just still go back to this massive change in system - was it really needed?
That’s the question on which careers may stand or fall!

For all the fabled boring football of last season, only five teams scored more home goals than us, and the top scorers were only four ahead of us. And we had the best home record in the division. Away from home, of course, different story entirely.

But, with that to build on, there’s always a strong argument that evolution rather than revolution should be the way forward.

But then you lose Clarke, and you know you’re losing Spearing, so significant change to the team’s DNA was coming anyway. A chance to forge a new identity.

But a new identity still needs leaders and spirit. And ability. Have we recruited it? On yesterday’s showing, no. But, with some of the squad not yet ready to play, and others still raw, it’s way too early to draw conclusions.

But, but, but.. the list is endless right now!

Micky talks about greater risk for potentially greater rewards. I know he’s talking about style of play but it applies just as much to his position, and probably Vaughan’s too.

But, the decision’s been made and the stakes are high, so everyone needs to hold their nerve. The team will improve on yesterday, little doubt about that. Unfortunately, looking at the next two fixtures, things might get even worse before we see any sign of getting better.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The football never was as 'dull' at Prenton Park last season as some claimed, and our home record was superb. However, the new system looked effective in pre-season and resulted in attractive football, and we can't make a serious judgement on it based on on ninety minutes when we were without key personnel.