• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Stevenage

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Stevenage

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Stevenage
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, February 1, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 1, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
the Main stand needs bulldozing any strong wind and it always does it or leaks when it rains the repair cost must be crazy for the old stand,
That is one of the reasons why a ground move will ultimately be necessary.

It is not worth investing in a decrepit stand, when a move away is likely in the next few years.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes and to be fair, there are not many games called off because of the main stand. Little bit frustrating it was off but one of those things.

Player
Manager
John King
We have an opportunity to respond to Saturday's disappointment with the visit of Stevenage on Tuesday night.

As was commented prior to the postponement, the visitors have some reasonable players, with Luke Norris among the goals recently. They come here in reasonable form, unbeaten in five games, and this looks a tougher fixture than it did at the time of the postponement. In previous seasons Borough have been direct and cynical, but I would guess their playing style has improved under Paul Tisdale.

As for ourselves, I think Glatzel may return to the side to partner Hemmings up front. Jolley has struggled a bit in the last couple of games, and Glatzel was in fine form, and scoring goals, prior to his injury. It seems unlikely Davies will be risked for this match and Foley will presumably still be unavailable, so KP will continue at centre half (for better or worse). I think McPake will be selected ahead of Hawkes.

I think Micky will stick with 442 for this game. However, in the medium term I wonder if we will change to a 4231, with McPake, Hawkes and Morris operating behind Hemmings. All three of the creative players had decent games on Saturday, and in future I think Mellon might want all of them on the pitch at the same time.

It is vital that we respond quicky to Saturday's defeat, and although the gate will be down to around 5,000, this is a huge game.

Player
ian goodison
I too think the game so soon after sat. could be a good thing as it stops any negative feelings settling in, in terms of selection I would like to see merrie get a game just to see if he can bring anything different in midfield, if foley & davies are still out the defence picks itself maybe glatzel up front is worth a go

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mighty important we approach this the right way. They are in decent form and haven't lost for 5 or 6 games so this will not be as easy as the league table suggests. I think Micky will get the lads mentally prepared and if we can get something positive from the game, then the FGR result will not seem as awful as it felt. I think we have to try and create more space between us and the chasing pack again.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Crucial we bounce back with a win to get back in track hopefully with a couple of goals 2 0

Player
aldo
let us hope that the set-plays are much better they were dreadful yesterday, can see Hawkes playing instead mcpake, or do we play both would you drop Spearing with Morris In center mid and OConnor just behind, not sure but we need more from the center of the pitch,and as I said before knowing my luck rovers will win 3-0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hope that this is not a repeat of last season, where a game postponed when Stevenage were in poor form ended up being played when they had regained some composure and Rovers were pretty toothless in attack and lost. Saturday's game illustrates that the fact that being up against a more footballing manager in Tisdale won't necessarily work to our advantage.

Stevenage played a 433 formation at the weekend, if the BBC website is to be believed. Seems likely that we'll stick with 4 at the back in a 442 and with Davies unlikely to be match fit and new central defender not settled in, Knight-Percival stays in.

Assuming we stick with the same formation and no injuries then two other decisions to make. McPake or Hawkes is a difficult one. McPake was one of our better players at the weekend, but don't think he's yet on the same wavelength as team-mates and that led to some misplaced passes and on one occasion playing a ball intended for a better-placed colleague. Hawkes came on, linked up well and was the only player to really test their keeper. As he's our player now, I'd go with Hawkes, but suspect Micky will stick with McPake. Up front, it was puzzling why Glatzel wasn't given any match time on Saturday, guessing doubts about his match-fitness and not worth risking when the game was clearly gone. Jolley didn't have a great game v Forest Green, but I didn't think Hemmings and Nevitt were that much better and Jolley is the most recent of our strikers to score; twice v Rochdale. If Glatzel is to play, it will most likely be at Charlie's expense. However I'm not convinced that dropping youngsters at the first sign of a wobble, while allowing experienced pros significantly longer to play themselves into form is the way to go.

Prediction: Going to be a tight game, but think the spoils will be shared 1-1.

Player
Manager
John King
We have just paid considerable money for Hemmings, who is a good player and our best striker at this point given his CV. I think he is a guaranteed starter and it is a question of who partners him.

It is worth remembering that both Norwood and Vaughan needed a few games to bed in, and showing patience with them proved worthwhile.

It is common for young or inexperienced players to come in and out of the side when they are learning the game, as much to protect their confidence as anything else. However, we are ultimately picking the team most likely to win the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Micky was very complimentary about McPake's performance on Saturday so I'd be surprised if he wasn't picked.
I remember Norwood's first few games. They were not great, I thought he was trying to hard but once he settled in we all know how that story ended.

Once Hemmings gets his first goal, I think he'll start repaying the money we invested in him.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I also was surprised Glatzel didn't come on on Saturday but suspect MM reasoned we weren't going to get anything out of the game so either not to raise expectations that Glatzel was expected to turn it around but more likely to give him a couple more days to recover from COVID. Has to start Tuesday in my book. He is the one most likely to spark off Hemmings.
Fitting in McPake. Morris and Hawkes is the conundrum and yes as RLC said that is easier if we go 4231 but I expect we will stick to 442 for now so Hawkes may well stay on the bench ready for a 30 minute cameo.
Hopefully the players will respond positively to the wake up call that was being outplayed by FGR and they come out all guns blazing. Targetting a 2-0 or possibly 2-1 win. This week's 2 games are critical IMO - 4 points the absolute minimum requirement if we are going to solidify our place in top 3.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think people need to take into account Glatzel has missed a lot of training and games recently so makes sense he has been on the bench

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky said when it was confirmed Glatzel had covid that it was virtually symptomless and think detected by a test. It might have got worse in the interim, we’ll never know. If he was on the bench you’d expect Paul was fit enough to play some part in the game, maybe coming on at h/t when the game was not totally out of reach. Agree no point in risking him once we went 3 down.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky said when it was confirmed Glatzel had covid that it was virtually symptomless and think detected by a test. It might have got worse in the interim, we’ll never know. If he was on the bench you’d expect Paul was fit enough to play some part in the game, maybe coming on at h/t when the game was not totally out of reach. Agree no point in risking him once we went 3 down.
I think Nevitt was the better option from the bench on Saturday, because we were not retaining the ball up front and we needed somebody up there with physical presence.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Personally I would bring Murphy in for Doohan as his distribution is way better and so we would not have to resort so often to aimless punts upfield when we simply don't have the players to thrive off them although I definitely agree with RLC that Nevitt is better suited to that role than Glatzel.
Not going to happen of course I know!
Either way I would definitely start Glatzel tonight.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Can’t see many changes for tonight. Agree I’d give Jolley a rest and give glatzel a go if fit. Would be tempted to give hawkes a start and if foley fit then come in place for NKP,
The visitors are unbeaten in 5 and had a good win on Saturday. Their last defeat was against FGR and it will be far from easy tonight

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pretty much as expected, slightly concerned that Davies isn’t available for bench duty yet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting to see how Glatzel and Hemmings play together as it might be a different dynamic then the other options we’ve seen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Too much huffing and puffing for me. We’ve had chances but they haven’t been taken well. Need a bit more second half.