• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Stevenage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't know if we've ever met at PP in a Cup fixture or friendly, but certainly first home league clash. We lost the reverse fixture 2-1, conceding a 2nd when the hosts had a man sent off, before a late penalty converted by Joss.

Rovers come into this game after a poor performance at Bury. Ronnie seems to have singled out the central defenders for criticism, perhaps slightly unfairly when everyone seemed out of sorts. However free-headers of the type Sodje converted are going to be meat and drink to some of the big lads in the Stevenage line-up. Former loanee Myrie-Williams is also with the visitors.

Little news on absentees, save Wallace is back in training. It would be a bonus if he's able to play. I'm not aware where David Raven is in the fitness stakes, as possible competition for a central defensive slot, but presume McChrystal is still some way off a return. Up front, the experiment with pairing the young loanees didn't seem to click at Gigg Lane, though RM put that down to lack of service. For a home game, Brunt's work-rate is less important, I would prefer to start with Enoch and Cassidy.

Prediction: Despite the cheap entry, the weather and lack of visiting support means that the crowd is unlikely to be significantly above 6k. Hope that Rovers get something out of this, but it wouldn't surprise me if we lose by the odd goal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tricky game this think a 1 1 draw take us a point closer to safety.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I wouldn't change any of the back four, as I thought our defenders were still our better players at Bury, albeit the best of a poor bunch.

Assuming that Wallace misses out again, it will be interesting to see who plays with Welsh in the middle. Labadie was not great at Bury, and Ronnie will have to decide whether to offer a contract to him or Weir (or neither) in the summer. It will also be interesting to see whether Moore takes a look at Devaney / McGurk who I believe are in contention.

Stevenage have gone off the boil a bit since Westley's departure and probably won't make the play offs now, so if we show the right attitude I think this is definitely a winnable game.

I would expect a crowd similar to the Orient game and would imagine the club will take this opportunity to hand season ticket forms out.

O

OneNightInGayParis

Must admit my impression was that Stevenage had gone off the boil fairly dramatically, dropping away from a play off place. However, a look at their results shows that they are still very difficult to beat, they are just drawing too many games - especially against teams below them in the table. Carlisle seem to have been on fire at the moment which hasn't helped their cause.

I think a draw would be a decent enough result, with a win being an excellent one. My biggest fear is that we manage a decent crowd and then turn them off with a poor performance. Interesting how mant travel North since the £5 offer applies to the away support as well.

Our performance will be greatly enhanced if Wallace plays. However, on the flip side it would probably be more benefit for Ronnie to assess the players we are more likely to have available for the start of 12/13.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It could make for an entertaining game this one. I hope so anyway.

Although they have drawn a few recently, most notably against Wycombe, they still have a shot at the play offs and with games runnning out, may come out at us in an attacking fashion which hopefully will mean some gaps for us to exploit.

I think another draw for them isnt a great result so they may go for it.

Enoch and Jake up top for me. No other changes but plenty of back up on the bench

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wow, what's going on? Two goals up in 11 minutes. A goal for Akins. Our first three-goal haul in the league for nearly a year! Back in the top half of the table. Look forward to the reports.

Player
Backayogo
Great game. Thought Akins played his best game yet. Robbo was the one for me, never stopped running and harrying them. Well deserved win. Long may this continue.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
grat win every player did well,hard to pick motm imo..

Lucas didi well ,but played no better today than in any other matches i,ve seen him play..took his goal well ....!

Status
Not open for further replies.