• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Stags

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Stags

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Stags
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 27, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 27, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jonny Morrisey
3 draws against teams we should be beating (Grimsby, Colchester and today), games like this will ultimately cost us automatic promotion. As already been said, desperately missing a natural centre forward as Nugent really isn't up to it and if we have to rely on him, then we may aswell give up now. Vaughn would have had a couple today and put the game to bed. Its going to be a slog I think!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a strange sensation to enter the top three, and yet feel as negative about our chances of automatic promotion as I have all season.......

Player
aldo
we just don,t score enough, and dropping points ok we will not win every game, but with Bolton on the march I think they will win the LG they are steamrolling at the moment, Nugent is not going to score goals play one of the youngsters and give it a go, we need to find goals from somewhere, ok Woolery has 11 goals but 1 in 8 is not enough

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Teams around us are getting beat so it's not all doom and gloom. We are still picking up points and move into the autos. Make no mistake, it will take some effort over the last 9 games to stay in the autos but it's not impossible.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is a strange sensation to enter the top three, and yet feel as negative about our chances of automatic promotion as I have all season.......

the only good thing is some teams around us are dropping points but as I’ve said many times, our failure to have decent back up for Vaughan may well be the difference between top 3 and top 7

Player
Manager
John King
the only good thing is some teams around us are dropping points but as I’ve said many times, our failure to have decent back up for Vaughan may well be the difference between top 3 and top 7
The decision to replace Ferrier and Payne with Nugent looks a very poor one, and will probably cost us automatic promotion.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Hopefully, Hill, Dawes and Parkinson can make use of training this coming week to formulate a way to address the lack of bodies in the box to react to crosses.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought we played well in patches against an adventurous Mansfield side, who certainly looked better than their League placing would suggest. However Rovers didn't even test their keeper with some quality balls into their box being left alone by our attackers and Nugent's most significant contribution was an elbow on one of their players. Starting to think youngster Burton would have made more impression. Taking off Morris, our best player, was a big mistake, as was failing to give Lloyd any game time at all.

Mainly due to the failings of others around us, I think we will limp into the play-offs, but assuming no Vaughan recovery miracle, anything better than that is looking most unlikely.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That's exactly how I feel, Vaughan won't be back for the easter games I just don't see us winning either game

drwhoman

Disappointing. Give Jolley a go. He cannot be any worse than Nugent. Not sure that keeping Ferrier, who had fallen out with Hill anyway, or Payne, would have been any better. Seems that CBT must be out in the cold again, perhaps for not following KH instructions?

Player
Manager
John King
Payne would offer more than Nugent does at present in my opinion, which is saying something.

My point is that if Ferrier and Payne were to be released we should have had a more reliable replacement lined up than Nugent, who has barely played any football in the last eighteen months.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
An extremely disappointing result after an average performance, at best. The substitutions were pathetic decisions, taking Morris off was criminal and not bringing LLoyd on when were leading is unbelievable. Nugent and Kirby are so light weight they add absolutely nothing to the squad, never mind the first eleven. Almost all fans could see at the end of last year that we would struggle for goals without Vaughan but the January window recruits have proven to be absolutely useless, both in terms of scoring or assists. This failure could cost us not just an automatic promotion spot but even a playoff place, given our remaining fixtures. Today, we could have gone 2nd with a game in hand over the leaders, as it is we are joint 3/4th on goal difference. To see this result as a positive point is to refuse to see the reality of our dilemma....without a half decent striker we will really struggle. Today, Woolery stepped up and gave us a deserved lead only for that to be squandered by some really poor defending for Mansfield's equaliser....we had 2 opportunities to close their goal scorer down, first from his original header and then for the strike from which he scored....both opportunities wasted and it cost us 2 valuable points today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Payne would offer more than Nugent does at present in my opinion, which is saying something.

My point is that if Ferrier and Payne were to be released we should have had a more reliable replacement lined up than Nugent, who has barely played any football in the last eighteen months.
Agree 100%. Ferrier and Payne never really impressed on a regular basis but swapping them for a 36 year old who hadn’t played for 18 months as cover for Vaughan who has a track record of injuries is looking like a major mistake

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's a risky strategy but they were probably relying on Vaughan to be still banging in the goals. That plan was scuppered somewhat when he got injured for the rest of the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's a risky strategy but they were probably relying on Vaughan to be still banging in the goals. That plan was scuppered somewhat when he got injured for the rest of the season.

Very risky. Vaughan has had injuries in the past and the way he plays e.g throwing himself in for tackles and doing lots of dirty work is great but also puts him at risk

Player
Manager
John King
Very risky. Vaughan has had injuries in the past and the way he plays e.g throwing himself in for tackles and doing lots of dirty work is great but also puts him at risk
Yes, you can't simply bank on your best players being available for 46 games. You have got to have reasonable cover, and that does not necessarily mean somebody that is particularly good, but at least a player that is competent and can meet the physical challenges.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, it has been a hectic schedule for Hill as well as the players, so there is not a great deal that is new that he can say. Most managers miss out the occasional press conference.