• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not our finest hour but you have to admire Spurs' determination and class. How many other sides would bring on their star striker when 6-0 up? It would be unfair and cruel to criticise any of the Rovers players. They all put in a great shift, although some were more effective than others. Now let's have a good rest and move on.

drwhoman

Well that was painful. The gap in class and money told. I may be very disappointed but it really irritates me when you get all the hurray henrys on the BBC website whinging about the pitch and why is their beloved Spurs team (how many live in North London?) not scoring more. What was bringing on Harry Kane about? A ground goal to add to his collection or an opportunity for fans to see the great man?! When you think that in a couple of months Dele Alli probably earns as much as the whole Rovers team in a season. Let us hope they do give us all gate after their 'fans' were so entertained.
Rant over. Back to the real stuff next weekend!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Despite the scoreline, I did not think we disgraced ourselves at all tonight. Spurs have been hammering Premier League sides in recent weeks and we were unlucky no to go in level at half time. The five to ten minute period at the start of the second half when we got really ragged at the back and Spurs scored three in quick succession killed us. Until that point, we had been right in the game. Conceding just before half time was key as well: if we could have gone in level at half time, the Spurs players might have become more anxious. As it was, they relaxed and pulled us apart.

Individually, I thought Gilmour and Jennings had really good games and Banks was class in his cameo appearance. We have missed him massively and we will hopefully see an upturn in results now that he is back in the side. The three centre halves were actually really good in the first half, particularly Ellis.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Until that point, we had been right in the game
I don’t think we were ever really in the game to be honest but it was a spirited 30 mins. Son should have put Spurs up inside 7 mins when he was one-on-one with Davies as well as another chance early on but although I’m a little deflated, the lads tried their best.

Absolutely quality side Spurs and I hope the lads enjoyed the experience.

Back to the league we go..

Player
Manager
John King
At half time I certainly did not think a thrashing was on the cards, so I would say we were in the game at that point. The Son chance was the only time they carved us open in the first half, although they dominated possession.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Me neither but I could never see us scoring either. We struggled to get the ball and when we had it didn’t have enough quality to keep it and cause any problems.

Although I don’t want to be too negative tonight, we were just beaten by an excellent team. The lads couldnt have done any more. There was a huge gap in quality.

They were strolling in the first half and as soon as they turned it on early in the second it was game over.

Player
Norwood
Bit of a weird game, though a cracking atmosphere in the first half.
I thought we were far too respectful of them, and could have been a lot more physical from the start. It would have perhaps given the Spurs players a little something to rattle them.
Having said that, it's easy to watch and comment, and different trying to get near to players who are in a different class....and the space Son and Alli created was amazing.
Thought Harris did well, and Davies, with Banks the standout Rovers player when he came on.
Norwood worked hard but got no service unsurprisingly....probably good he couldn't showcase himself on TV!

Player
Manager
John King
Me neither but I could never see us scoring either. We struggled to get the ball and when we had it didn’t have enough quality to keep it and cause any problems.

Although I don’t want to be too negative tonight, we were just beaten by an excellent team. The lads couldnt have done any more. There was a huge gap in quality.

They were strolling in the first half and as soon as they turned it on early in the second it was game over.
All we could do was hope to stay in the game for as long as possible. We were not going to cut them open repeatedly because of the gulf in class, but we did have chances, notably Norwood at the end of the first half and Gilmour at the start of the second.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Spurs were all over us in the opening twenty minutes but a mix of poor finishing and good defending kept us in the game at that point. Their goal came at a point where we’d got back into the game, an error by Norwood but an excellent finish. The second half saw the Rovers defence seemingly cut open at will. There seemed to be a hint off offside about one or two of their goals, though it might just have been the speed of their movement deceiving me. Very clinical. Think Norwood had a good chance at 0-2, which was hit at the keeper, could have given us a toehold back, if that had gone in. Defensively Spurs didn’t look that assured; some of Ellis’long throws rattled them for example, but we just didn’t test them enough. Wasn’t that impressed with the Spurs travelling support, who only got vocal when they went 4 up.

Allowing for the significant gulf in class, I don’t think many of us expected that margin of defeat. I’m not sure what lasting impact it will have going forward, players have their pride which will have been dented by the scale of the defeat. Hopefully we bank the takings and move on.

Player
Manager
John King
Spurs did not sell their allocation, which is poor when you consider the size of their support.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I think we were buoyed by Tottenham's lack of composure in the first 25mins which allowed us to relax slightly into the game more. I feel if Son had taken the easy 1 on 1 he missed early on then the writing really would have been on the wall! Moura also missed a decent change and Davies made another decent stop from an Alli volley - however you'd say all the three chances you'd expect him to save.

Yes we stuck in there, however I was frustrated by the lack of football we played. We cleared the ball out of defence far too many times instead of playing football and passing it around players (yes we are league two but players still should be able to find feet at this level). This was an opportunity to show people that there remains quality in the lower echelons of the game, however in the first half we probably came across as a side who could defend solidly enough and had a decent goal keeper, however was bereft of any real quality players and were happy to play pump ball up the park.

Second half was a field day. The Tottenham players were fitter, stronger, sharper and generally just more skilled which is to be expected. We had to open up more slightly in search of a goal and we were unfortunate not to make it 2-1 when Gilmour's shot was deflected over the bar. After that though apart from maybe a brief 5-10 minute spell after their third goal we were well and truly outclassed.

We can take away from this what it was, a pay day against a class opposition who turned up with a strong team and turned us over. Let's pocket the $1m, move on and concentrate on the league!

Player
Manager
John King
I think we did pass it pretty well at times, but generally in areas that were not going to hurt Spurs. We certainly played some decent football when Banks was on the pitch.

Player
Manager
John King
All I can say is thank God we did not play a weakened team...........

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Colin, you are being a bit unfair on our lads. It is to their credit that they tried to pass the ball around as much as they did, but the opposition was tenacious and didn't allow them more than a couple of passes. Ironically, we started to play a bit when 0-4 down but by then it was too late and with only one target man up the pitch we were never going to create many chances. Rovers sides of old would have been more physical and more direct, but I still think they would have lost against such a talented, well-drilled and ruthless side. It's a shame that the scoreline masks what was a creditable first half. In the end we were just knackered and a bit demoralised, but I am still proud for the effort we put in and the discipline we showed. Micky must now turn that into a positive a week tomorrow at Cheltenham, when we should be a lot fresher.

Player
aldo
with the amount of running the boys did tonight its not a wonder they where knackered . norwood did try but looked off the boil tonight . think we realy need to get some one in who is gonna push him and give him some compo up front he knows he will play every game and looks complacent . the fans where magnificent tonight . but for one guy who slagged Norwood off every min of the game . he even had a kiddie must of been 4 years old he was f ing this an sh@&*ting that . shame on you . and to say get steeeeev to break Kans legs i was not happy sorry for this but he is a dickhead . i will put my money in the swear box at work . i loved seeing harry kane and son wow what players good luck for the rest of the season you spurs . now lets get the bread & butter back on track and get loads of points

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
All I can say is thank God we did not play a weakened team...........
We might have had a bigger record home defeat, but 0-7 is apparently a record home defeat in all competitions for Rovers.

Norwood seemed to trying to put himself in the limelight tonight and some of the choices he made seemed more for self-promotion than the benefit of the team. I'm not sure that many of our key players enhanced their reputations in this game, but it's difficult to be critical given the quality of the opposition. .

Player
aldo
when they said it was 13300 sell outbut then they say under 13k turned up spurs we where told sold out 2000 and only 1600 turned up mmmmmmmm

Player
aldo
the fan park was packed hope they mad the money for the roof im sure the club could add the rest to it . was annoyed with radio crap mside again no coverage of the game . if it was the red crap or that other lot they would have the full load shame on then crap radio rant over

Player
Manager
John King
We might have had a bigger record home defeat, but 0-7 is apparently a record home defeat in all competitions for Rovers.

Norwood seemed to trying to put himself in the limelight tonight and some of the choices he made seemed more for self-promotion than the benefit of the team. I'm not sure that many of our key players enhanced their reputations in this game, but it's difficult to be critical given the quality of the opposition. .
I thought several of them did ok to be honest. I have watched the whole game back and I still think we played some decent stuff and had a few genuine chances. We were just cut apart by brilliant attacking play in the second half. We could have done better defensively for some of the goals - for the fourth, Son should have been brought down rather than being allowed to run half the length of the pitch - but in general their speed of thought and movement was too much for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.