• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have minimal chance of getting a result, but that is not really the point to be honest. This is a hugely important game in terms of the profile of the club, the kind of fixture we had on a regular basis 15-20 years ago, and an important waymarker in the revival of the club.

I don't think the Swansea and Peterborough games are particularly relevant in assessing our chances: it was our relegation-threatened rabble that were thrashed by Swansea, and we were down to ten men after five minutes against Peterborough, having drawn the initial tie.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think they will change virtually their entire team from yesterdays game

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The last thing Spurs will want is for this to go to a replay, given they're still in four tournaments, so while I don't expect all their stars, would anticipate they'd field a strong enough side to try and finish the job at the first attempt.

Given it's highly unlikely that Rovers can progress, I think there's an argument for picking a similar line-up to the League Cup game v Walsall and resting some key players for the more important league games to follow. However, I doubt that will happen as our best players would want to get the chance of pitting themselves against whoever Spurs put out. It is crucial that we don't get hammered to the extent of total demoralisation of the side, but otherwise the outcome isn't that important. Though if miracles do happen, I wouldn't say no.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Think we can safely say we’ll go full strength! Full(ish) ground & cameras etc. Any word on McCullough availability? Gutted it’s a week or 2 too soon for Ollies’ return!

Player
Manager
John King
Given it's highly unlikely that Rovers can progress, I think there's an argument for picking a similar line-up to the League Cup game v Walsall and resting some key players for the more important league games to follow.
You can't seriously believe this.

Yeah, let's play a weakened team against a Champions League side......... :oops:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You can't seriously believe this.

Yeah, let's play a weakened team against a Champions League side......... :oops:
It would be brave and won’t happen, but you’ve conceded yourself there is minimal chance of us getting a result in this game. If you rest key players in this one, they don’t pick up injuries and are guaranteed available for the league games where they can make a difference.

Player
Manager
John King
It would be brave and won’t happen, but you’ve conceded yourself there is minimal chance of us getting a result in this game. If you rest key players in this one, they don’t pick up injuries and are guaranteed available for the league games where they can make a difference.
With respect, I think your original suggestion was an early contender for daftest comment of the year. It could not happen for a whole host of reasons.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, we probably have little hope of progressing but I just hope we play well, are competitive and give them a game. I think they'll have a 50/50 mix of experience and youth out there.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
With respect, no one on here should be up for daftest comment! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, otherwise what’s the point of a forum!! Bit my lip on many occasions here with the so called experts ;)

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
With respect, no one on here should be up for daftest comment! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, otherwise what’s the point of a forum!! Bit my lip on many occasions here with the so called experts ;)
Apologies for any offence caused. But it was a bizarre suggestion........

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, we probably have little hope of progressing but I just hope we play well, are competitive and give them a game. I think they'll have a 50/50 mix of experience and youth out there.
I just hope we pass the ball reasonably well. I worry that if we set up defensively, with five at the back and two defensive midfielders - which we will probably have to - we won't have an 'out' ball to get us up the pitch. We have not been great in possession recently when we have played that system.

If we have too many creative players on the pitch, we will be exposed defensively. However, if we don't have enough players who are comfortable on the ball, we might end up launching it and giving it straight back to the opposition.

I don't envy Micky trying to set up a team for this game.

Player
aldo
for me its just about the money the club will get . the score dont matter . as mp has said the money will be spread across several different projects . including a 3g pitch at the campus . witch is great cus they can train in all weathers . i know they want another futsal hub . so for me thats what its all about . and having some fun . im leaving the car at home getting my wife to drop me off then taxi home

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Given it's highly unlikely that Rovers can progress, I think there's an argument for picking a similar line-up to the League Cup game v Walsall and resting some key players for the more important league games to follow. However, I doubt that will happen as our best players would want to get the chance of pitting themselves against whoever Spurs put out. It is crucial that we don't get hammered to the extent of total demoralisation of the side, but otherwise the outcome isn't that important. Though if miracles do happen, I wouldn't say no.
I can see your logic, Boz, and I have some sympathy. We played under-strength teams in the FA Trophy while chasing promotion out of the NL. You could argue our best players need rest and protection for important league games. However, I think you argue against yourself when saying a hammering would affect morale. I also agree with you that "resting" McNulty, Norwood and co. would deny them a career highlight. Most important of all, what about the fans? Having paid for their tickets, the club has an obligation to put out their best team.

For the past three seasons, promotion has been the number one objective - not just for the fans but for the future of the club. This year, while promotion would be nice, the main aim is to balance the books and invest for the future. If we finish mid-table and make a profit, I'll be happy, knowing that the club is safe and we will have the funds to mount a promotion challenge next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't envy Micky trying to set up a team for this game.
No, me neither. I think we need to try and play the ball on the floor. This is where we are strongest. If we play the long ball, that will result in frustration and no end product. I think with five at the back, we are asking for trouble. We will surrender the ball for long periods and will be pretty much camped in our own half. We really have nothing to lose here, so I wouldn't be overly cautious. Yes, we don't want a hammering but we want the supporters entertained and at least we can turn around and say we gave it a jolly good go!

Player
aldo
it will be a full rovers team . with all the hype thats going around think there would be a riot if we rested the main players . so that can be put to bed . think about it we shouldnt have beat everton but we did . 3-0 down to southampton and we win 4-3 . we have done it b4 . and it will happen again . who knows the gods might shine on us . look at the villa game who would have thought we would win 3-1 . it can and does happen just gotta dream it dont cost out and they do come true some times . night night

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can see your logic, Boz, and I have some sympathy. We played under-strength teams in the FA Trophy while chasing promotion out of the NL. You could argue our best players need rest and protection for important league games. However, I think you argue against yourself when saying a hammering would affect morale. I also agree with you that "resting" McNulty, Norwood and co. would deny them a career highlight. Most important of all, what about the fans? Having paid for their tickets, the club has an obligation to put out their best team.

For the past three seasons, promotion has been the number one objective - not just for the fans but for the future of the club. This year, while promotion would be nice, the main aim is to balance the books and invest for the future. If we finish mid-table and make a profit, I'll be happy, knowing that the club is safe and we will have the funds to mount a promotion challenge next season.
Thanks for the measured response BBTC. I chose my original words carefully “there is an argument” rather than “we should....” for example, as my view is a case could be made for resting players. I don’t think it will happen for the reasons you suggest and neither Micky or the Palioi would wish to be associated with a heavy defeat and tv companies might swerve future similar fixtures if we didn’t make a fight of this game. However, there wasn’t a riot when we dropped out of the FL, so unlikely that resting a few players would start one, AM.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the measured response BBTC. I chose my original words carefully “there is an argument” rather than “we should....” for example, as my view is a case could be made for resting players. I don’t think it will happen for the reasons you suggest and neither Micky or the Palioi would wish to be associated with a heavy defeat and tv companies might swerve future similar fixtures if we didn’t make a fight of this game. However, there wasn’t a riot when we dropped out of the FL, so unlikely that resting a few players would start one, AM.
Why do we hope to win promotion ? It is presumably so that we can play higher quality teams, with better players, in front of bigger crowds, on a regular basis again. Such an opportunity has fallen into our lap tomorrow night, but you suggested messing around with the team and treating the game like a second rate fixture. I still find your comments bemusing, however you try to rationalise them. Football is there to be enjoyed, not to be some sort of penance.

As Palios said in his interview on the BBC website, this fixture is not important chiefly because of the money. It is the highest profile game the club has had for more than a decade, which is even more important. If we played a weakened side in front of millions watching on TV, with Eriksen, Ali and co. in town, we would be the laughing stock of the country. I still can't believe your original suggestion was remotely serious.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Banks has been in training all week and I would not be surprised if he was involved at some stage. Having our first choice midfield available, even if it was only for part of the game, would certainly be a boost.

Player
aldo
yes its great having him back . lets just hope we put a good performance in and every one gets through with no problems .

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Great that McCullough is available! If Ollie features at all it would be a bonus, probably a week or 2 too soon realistically. MM.always cleverly paints a positive picture pre-match on the injury front to maintain his poker hand & rightly so. I just want us to leave everything on the pitch tomorrow whether it be Smith, Cole whoever playing. I’d rather lose 5-3 gung ho rather than 0-3 in a defensive display which bores the neutral viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.