• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v Southport

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd rather have bragging rights by beating them than just by being in a higher league.
I wouldn't ! Football League status is precious to us, for so many reasons.

It is obvious from our modern history that we are a bigger, more successful club than Southport or Chester, so I don't feel the need to beat them to prove it. Wrexham are on a more level footing with us but I don't enjoy the hostility of those matches and, as you say, by being a division higher (with Football league status) we have bragging rights by definition.

I actually prefer games against clubs like Crewe, Oldham and Bury.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I liked the games at Southport, a good atmosphere, while thought the policing and stewarding at Wrexham was less heavy-handed than Crewe a few weeks ago. Would quite like a moderately wealthy individual to re-generate New Brighton and get them back in the FL so we could have a real derby.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I liked the games at Southport, a good atmosphere, while thought the policing and stewarding at Wrexham was less heavy-handed than Crewe a few weeks ago. Would quite like a moderately wealthy individual to re-generate New Brighton and get them back in the FL so we could have a real derby.
I'm not sure about a new New Brighton. Would we eventually lose our fan base in Wallasey?

Player
Manager
John King
Ridehalgh replaces Zoum, Banks still out injured. Otherwise as expected

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
DMH who started brightly off with what looks like a hamstring injury. Johnny Smith on.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Their number 10 winning the aerial duels so far

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Watching on telly. Good move and great finish by Johnny Smith. Ironically he would not be playing were it not for DMH's misfortune.

Player
Manager
John King
Pretty ordinary stuff but a nice goal for Smith. Banks and McCullough are a big miss in midfield. Southport are very physical and their number six should have been red carded.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not the most exciting of halves but rovers lead. Not much between the sides and neither keeper has had much to do. The sandgrounders have pressed well at times and Gilmour has been caught out a couple of times. Apart from the goals it’s fairly even I’d say. Mullin and Nors not getting much service. Need to come out second half strongly and put the game to bed. Still only playing in 1st gear I reckon.

A few handbags at the end with Southport trying to get Jennings and big Steve sent off. Really need another goal

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Tollit on for Mullin at half time. Hope it’s not too physical for Ben

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Bloody hopeless. Can’t keep the ball for 5 seconds. Kept giving it away and that’s what happens

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Was Mullin taken off due to injury? Otherwise seems an odd sub to make.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Was Mullin taken off due to injury? Otherwise seems an odd sub to make.

I’m assuming it was Boz

Well we’re in the draw but another poor performance. We were unlucky with injuries today but defintakey a lack of confidence at the moment.

On that note whilst I love Nors his constant berating of Tollit is a disgrace.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with Sparky about Norwood, who should not be bollocking his fellow players in public.

That was dreadful. While not quite as bad as the Oxford game, we learnt nothing from that match. Our attitude was complacent and we did not have the conviction to go on and finish the game after taking the lead.

The injuries certainly disrupted us and an abysmal referee did not help either - Gilmour was taken out of the game, resulting in Buxton playing in centre midfield, yet the Southport player was not carded - but the centre of midfield was dreadful, and we simply could not keep the ball and control the game without Banks and McCullough. I would also ask big questions of Micky today. Why did Davies punt every clearance long, which was meat and drink to their two big lumps at the back ? When we played through midfield and got the full backs up the pitch Southport struggled, yet nearly every ball was hit long to the strikers today.

Individually, DMH was looking lively before he went off and Smith and Jennings were ok, but few others come out with credit. Liam's distribution was good at times in the first half but he was understandably off the pace defensively, and there was no communication between him and Monthe all game. Norwood worked hard but the service to him was dreadful.

The replay will be tougher than the Oxford game as they were more niggly and physical and horrible to play against, and we struggled to get any flow going. It will also be a more hostile atmosphere at Haigh Avenue.

Hugely disappointing but at least we are in the hat.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a disappointing result and from the snippets I heard, probably one we should be grateful for in the end. RLC mentions Davies’ distribution and there was a similar problem with long aimless punts in the Oxford City game. Hard to understand why we’re imploding in recent games.

Player
Manager
John King
I could not understand the decision to put Buxton in midfield either. He was hopeless there, as you would expect from a full back. We could have brought Stockton on and moved Jennings into midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Totally agree RLC. Buxton isn’t the fittest and struggled to get about he’s so cumbersome.

Think Harris showed again today that he’s clearly not good enough for the level we now require.