• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Southend

Rovers v Southend
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 18, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
on the paddock forum the usual suspects are out ie sack mellon!!! rides seems to be the new Stockton (whipping boy) I think we need a reality check from were we have come from in such a short time, I don,t know what,s going on with some of the injuries or whether we don,t seem to be able identify players like their scorer who was all over the place and never gave our lads a minutes peace, as for disharmony in the dressing room I worked in a factory for 30 odd years and I would be amazed if everyone got on like a house on fire,

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
on the paddock forum the usual suspects are out ie sack mellon!!!
You are only as good as your last game in football. Quite what sacking Mellon will achieve is beyond me. We need better quality players, something you do not get by sacking your manager.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few points in response to those raised;

l thought Payne couldn’t be faulted for his work-rate, put a shift in and nearly got a goal through their keeper hitting the ball straight at him. Agree with others that we need to play to his strengths and that means balls on the deck to run onto.

Monthe did not have a good night, but still did a lot right, holding off their attacker and carrying the ball forward. Ray tended to stand off quite often, think Sid might have got stuck in to break up play a bit more, but made less errors than Manny.

While Perkins was clearly struggling and let the game pass him by at times, on the basis of what he usually does, some allowances could be made, though I’m not sure I would totally exempt him (or MM for selecting him) from any criticism. Danns was very poor and if he felt that badly jet-lagged should have asked not to play.

I’d agree that it’s a reasonable start by Rovers given our squad limitations. Survival remains the main aim and my belief is under Micky we can achieve that.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Monthe did not have a good night, but still did a lot right, holding off their attacker and carrying the ball forward. Ray tended to stand off quite often, think Sid might have got stuck in to break up play a bit more, but made less errors than Manny.
Manny's decision making seemed to let him down at times last night, along with quite a few others. He charged into midfield a few times when it did not seem advisable, and attempted raking, cross-field passes which did not come off, rather than playing the simple ball. However, he is still our best defender and more than capable at this level.

The defending by the two centre halves for the goal was atrocious. I have not seen it back yet, but Manny seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball and then Ray was too easily outpaced by Hopper. You should never concede a goal from a ball humped straight down the middle.

I still slightly prefer Sid to Ray, but I think George has been better than some people have suggested and has improved as the season has progressed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That was a woeful performance against a team whos confidence must have been at rock bottom before the game, they must be kicking themselves that they didn't win as they really should have done.

Monthe seemed to misjudge the ball for the goal & Ray who should've covered got totally done for pace, they had a free header which should've been a goal then following a Davies howler they came close again where as we created very little in the first half, Perkins shot well wide and CBT having a chance too.

We only really got going in the last 20 minutes when we created some pressure without troubling them too much, a blatant penalty well dispatched to get us level but the draw papered over the cracks, we were 2nd best against a poor side, injuries are having a big impact but we could hardly string 2 passes together.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As bad a home performance as we've seen for some time.
But.... we don't call ourselves "sh.. house whites" for nothing. Mugged them there.
It maintains the points difference between the teams and what a beaut of a pen from Mulls.

Player
aldo
oh im so happy to be in spain next week so i wont be on hear chaps as we are having a teck free week to recharge the old batteries

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not a great set of results for us this weekend, with Rochdale and Accy both winning and leapfrogging us. However, it remains very tight and we are still only four points off Lincoln in twelfth place.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The upcoming series of fixtures for Rovers look quite tough, with games against form teams, Wycombe, Fleetwood or those we don’t travel well too, like Sunderland and Franchise. The next league game I‘d be fairly optimistic of getting a win out of is home to Accrington in early December. Though as Coventry showed Rovers can surprise us.