• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Solihull Moors

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A day to celebrate and I don't want to put a damper on it, but surely four consecutive penalty misses is a record. Amazing that we won every game!

More seriously, Cole Stockton's contract runs out in June. Has the club already started negotiations or is he doing a Max Power?

drwhoman

Excellent result. I had to look twice when I turned my phone on this am in oz! After all the 1-0s! Famine to feast! A couple more big wins and Lincoln really will be under pressure!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
More seriously, Cole Stockton's contract runs out in June. Has the club already started negotiations or is he doing a Max Power?
It's a good point re Stockton's future. If Morecambe hadn't their financial and ownership woes, odds are he'd still be there until his contract ran out and then move on. Different situation to Max Power who'd clearly decided to move on and turned down contract offers. Looking at it from the player's perspective it's a hard call, particularly if we don't go up, but Cole more than most needs to be loved and Micky's handling of him might just see him stick around.

There are one or two others, Ihiekwe in particular who we should be making efforts to tie down to a new deal now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
totally agree with the comments of Boz, Stockton to me always looked to have ability but for whatever reason didn't produce it often enough he certainly needs to feel wanted and his performance yesterday was awesome.
Also agree there are a few players we could do with getting on contracts.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not so long ago I ridiculed the idea that Stockton could have won Young Player of the Year this season, but his recent performances have been excellent, and yesterday he was phenomenal. I have never seen a player improve so dramatically, so quickly.

I think he will start ahead of Cook on Tuesday and MM certainly has a selection dilemma for the games ahead.

drwhoman

I think that was a good decision !

Awesome performance from Rovers. Although Solihull were poor, they were no worse than many other teams at this level and this is a result that has been coming for a few weeks now. We have got the 532 system down to a tee at the moment, and the number of quality balls we put into the box and chances we created was incredible. In addition to the goals, we hit the post three times and missed a penalty. Not a bad afternoon's work.

As with all the recent games, there were some great individual performances. However, Stockton had a fantastic first half and was man of the match and both full backs were superb, constantly bombing up and down to provide support for attacks, with Ridehalgh in particular producing some great deliveries. Jay Harris was a tiger in midfield once again and compensated for the slight heavy legs of Hughes, who was good on the ball but looks a little off the pace without it. I was delighted for Jennings to get his first goals at PP and both of the loanees made a positive impression: Sousa was lively and worked hard; Collins looked quite raw, but was good technically and had a couple of chances in addition to the goal.

It is a pity about the Lincoln result, and with the games they have remaining it does look like it will be the play offs now. However, we have at least made real inroads into the goal difference. We just have to hope that this form continues into the play off games and we win them, as we are clearly a better side than any of the other competitors.

The win today equals our best ever league victory, which of course was the 13-4 against Oldham in 1935. The only other win by this margin I can think of was against Leamington in the FA Cup in the seventies, but I think that may have been 9-1 ?

On to Tuesday night and a completely different challenge against FGR.

drwhoman

A bit of trivia. We beat Accrington 9-0 in 1959 but I cannot see that we have had two hat tricks in a game before. Tony Rowley scored 4 in the 1959 game which I think was just before Stanley left the League. The first team to go for years under the bottom four re/election system.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The club itself has now updated its history. http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/article/top-10-wins-220514-1555244.aspx As you can see, Saturday's win saw the joint highest winning margin in league game and the highest number of goals scored in the league, except for the 13-4. It does show how special the result was. It does make you wonder why we have struggled so often to win games decisively and have had to rely on our defence to protect single-goal leads.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Obviously we won't be winning games 9-0 every week but we should really be putting more of these part-time teams to the sword.

It does make you wonder..